Have you ever stopped watching a soap due to 1 character or Sl??

2»

Comments

• Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When EE announced "Who's Shagging Kat?" as their big summer storyline a couple of years ago. I just read it, sighed and realised I couldn't handle any more of the shit that was being churned out.

Didn't come back properly until Christmas.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching Eastenders whne they brought The Millers in. Cannot stand chavvy families on benefits, did not wanna see them on my tv.
    I only started watching again after they had gone. Though i have since stopped again afetr Christian andSyed left as the soap was so bad in general.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Eastenders whne they brought The Millers in. Cannot stand chavvy families on benefits, did not wanna see them on my tv.
    I only started watching again after they had gone. Though i have since stopped again afetr Christian andSyed left as the soap was so bad in general.

What I didn't like was Dad Miller (sorry I forget his first name) pretending to have a bad back so he could stay on benefits. This stereotype on tv etc annoys me as in my experience and opinion most people on sickness benefit or Disability Living Allowance are genuine.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, due to the Carters in EastEnders. I'm watching a few episodes here and there because I'm intrigued by the Lucy Beale death storyline and there's not a lot else on but I still loathe that family.

Cain from Emmerdale is annoying too.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped watching corrie after the rovers fire. In fact I think it was the episode where Karl was able to walk into ICU, pull out Sunitas ventilator tubes and frame her for the fire that finally did for me.
  • mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My late nan used to get my grandad to record eastenders so that she could fast forward any scenes with the tuvurniers (sp?) or "tavernas" as dot called them
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    EE - Baby swap plot SL/ plus the exits of Peggy, Pat and Stacey and Ronnie more or less at once I thought was a big loss for the show - Then I thought the show lost its idenity a bit when they started pushing through teenagers as the focal point. Moreover, even though I think the show used to be much better overall; I realised that the show is not as good as it is hyped up to be.

HO: I tune in and out of but I think I stopped being a full-time viewer post 2009-2010, When they had a mass cast overhaul following Calvin's death, Claire's first exit, Warren's first exit and Justin Burton's. IMO, the show has its moments but it may never hit the heights of the period between 2006-2009.

CS: Again I tune in and out of depending on SL: for some strange reason I can find Corrie to be really compelling to rather boring in a matter of episodes depending on whats happening and who's involved. Still its a better option than EE IMO.
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Not one, but two were too much to take. Carla and Todd in Corrie. Liz didn't help either. :(

I feel the same apart from Liz ...I like her...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I had two weeks of not watching EE fairly recently because I really struggled to watch the aftermath of Linda's rape...but I went back!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Oh and stopped watching corrie when Tina and Peter started having an affair. Booooooooring.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I sort of drifted off Emmerdale when it stopped being Emmerdale Farm and the Sugdens weren't the main characters.
    Not watched it since then, probably 30 years??
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, it's definitely the baby swap storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The recent Dodger is Nico's dad thing on Hollyoaks had me SO close to switching off permanently. I'm praying Kirkwood leaves soon.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching EastEnders for a long time after the Baby Swap storyline... I've only gotten back into this year since DTC took over. Thank goodness the show's in a better state now than it was back then!
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,210
    Forum Member
    In emmerdale when laurel/Marlon got together and to justify it what they did to Ashley. Have seen a few mins of eps since as my mum still watches but still can't stand them.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders - absolutely hated Kim. Everything she said, did and represented. I got the impression she was giving nothing more than her comedy persona. Very poor role model, did everything to reinforce a negative young black woman.

Very glad she is gone, but occasional skype calls are enough to bring on my panics.

Grandad

I live in Brixton and know lots of girls like Kim, with a very exaggerated personality, and whilst she isn't a great role model....there aren't many people in Albert Square who are.

I'd like to see her back with a husband, slightly toned down.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't cope with Corrie when the focus was on the awful Sophie and Maddie and their toxic relationship. Maddie has improved now but Sophie is still unbearable. But it's Mary who I have to mute. She is just unwatchable.

If Alfie gets away with arson I think I may give up on Eastenders.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch as often as I did, I used to watch it all the time. Now I don't bother unless I've nothing better to do, this is all down to the loathsome Carters. The sooner Linda and Mick leave the better!
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost stopped watching when Peggy made a Philth a nice big specially cooked meal when she thought he had murdered Archie in the Arches.

But I thought sod those two - there are many other characters that I enjoyed - why stop watching because of them?
  • lobeydosserlobeydosser Posts: 3,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I almost stopped watching when Peggy made a Philth a nice big specially cooked meal when she thought he had murdered Archie in the Arches.

But I thought sod those two - there are many other characters that I enjoyed - why stop watching because of them?

EE _ Sharon and 'Chelle. I went backs hen they left, then ack came Sharon and this tie it was her and the ghastly Mitchell clan!

HO- Jacqui McQueen and the Gilly Sl

Corrie - Ken Barlow - and the whole show became increasingly dire.

No particular reason foe ED - just went off it and have never gone back on!