Speeding ticket

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
Forum Member
I got a nasty shock in the post today. A NIP (notice,of intent to prosecute) basically a speeding ticket. Back in august I was doing 37 in a 30 zone. This was in Crawley and I was on business using a pool car. I have to fill out the form and send it back within 28 days which is ok as I did speed But the fixed penalty is £100 which I thought was a bit steep. I thought the fixed penalty was £60. Would I be right to question the amount?

Comments

• Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a nasty shock in the post today. A NIP (notice,of intent to prosecute) basically a speeding ticket. Back in august I was doing 37 in a 30 zone. This was in Crawley and I was on business using a pool car. I have to fill out the form and send it back within 28 days which is ok as I did speed But the fixed penalty is £100 which I thought was a bit steep. I thought the fixed penalty was £60. Would I be right to question the amount?

Well they're not likely to have got it wrong. It's a standard notice.

It used to be £60 - maybe it's gone up.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fines went up about a month ago sorry!
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let this be a lesson to you and watch your speed next time.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not forget to inform your insurance company - it is a requirement that you do so. If you don't and you have a claim you may find you are not covered.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the registered keeper have to be informed within 14 days if the offence? According to this they do: https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

So it may not be enforceable if it was in August.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The minimum penalty for speeding is a £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence.
    https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Doesn't the registered keeper have to be informed within 14 days if the offence? According tot his they do: https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

Correct, but the OP's post states that it is a pool car and therefore unlikely to be registered to the OP.

edit: Just to clarify though, the NIP must be issued within 14 days. Whether or not it is received within 14 days is irrelevant.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the registered keeper have to be informed within 14 days if the offence? According to this they do: https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

Don't think the OP is the registered keeper. It was pool car. Maybe the letter has done the rounds and finally made its way to the OP. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Do not forget to inform your insurance company - it is a requirement that you do so. If you don't and you have a claim you may find you are not covered.

It's not always a requirement to declare immediately. For example, both Admiral and Direct Line say they only need to be informed about offences or pending prosecutions at the next renewal (except disqualifications).

The best advice here is to check what the insurer concerned's position on this is.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mind you, the OP says he's a business user and was driving a pool car, so maybe the registered keeper of the car had been informed within the 14 days?

ETA: As others have already pointed out... :D
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Correct, but the OP's post states that it is a pool car and therefore unlikely to be registered to the OP.

Oh yes! I missed that bit, sorry!
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure only the initial NIP has the 14 day deadline ie if the RK had not received the NIP within 14 days then its invalid but if they had, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the offender!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure only the initial NIP has the 14 day deadline ie if the RK had not received the NIP within 14 days then its invalid but if they had, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the offender!

No, as per my edit above it only has to be issued within 14 days. Whether or not it is received within 14 days is irrelevant.

For example, if a NIP was issued within 14 days but was genuinely lost or delayed in the post, arriving after more than 14 days, then it would still be absolutely valid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    No, as per my edit above it only has to be issued within 14 days. Whether or not it is received within 14 days is irrelevant.

For example, if a NIP was issued within 14 days but was genuinely lost or delayed in the post, arriving after more than 14 days, then it would still be absolutely valid.

My bad, I meant issued in my head!
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »

Wow only four posts in, must be a record.
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »

This:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Thing is I've been back to the same place twice since this incident I only hope it's a one off and I've driven within the limit since
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send it back agreeing you were the driver and you may get offered a speeding awareness course.

It may cost more than the fine, but by attending for four hours at the course, you will not get points on your licence, or have to report it to your insurance company.
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The posters saying you have to inform your insurance company are wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is I've been back to the same place twice since this incident I only hope it's a one off and I've driven within the limit since

Don't take any notice of the 'holier than thou' brigade, they seem to be a attracted to a speeding thread like a flies to sh1te.

Just a shame your employer has such accurate records when it comes to pool car use.:D *
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    It may cost more than the fine, but by attending for four hours at the course, you will not get points on your licence, or have to report it to your insurance company.
    That's not necessarily true. Some insurers require you to inform them of a speed awareness course in much the same way as they do points.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pippa 2 wrote: »
    The posters saying you have to inform your insurance company are wrong.

That depends entirely on the terms and conditions of the policy! Maybe wrong, maybe right!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true. Some insurers require you to inform them of a speed awareness course in much the same way as they do points.

Yes, the Admiral Group, but they have no way of finding out if you have been on one as they can't access the Driver Offender Retraining System maintained by ACPO /Road Safety Support Ltd.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely you know when you're speeding or not? Terrible habit but I know I do...

BTW, Bangles fan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I was in a new place looking out for a specific place so not concentrating on my speed
    mred2000 wrote: »
    BTW, Bangles fan?

What gives you that idea ;)