Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Wanted Orient to win and thought they'd win as well, very happy tonight for a certain Mr K. Bola Esq ex of this parish who's a life-long keen supporter, just want the club that's nearest to me in location Rotherham United to beat Preston now at home in the second leg on Thursday (1-1 after first leg) and they'll be at Wembley playing them for promotion.
    Rotherham are a club I have gone and watched many times as a 2nd team since 1967 they've always played in the lower leagues, Sheffield Wednesday have too a lot, out of all the seasons since I first became an Owls fan they've played 27 seasons in the lower leagues.

So happy for Durham.

K bola now there's a blast from the post.i expect he's posting some where "liking Russell Slades work at the moment "Hope Orient go up as we took an armada of boats up the Thames there this season so hope to repeat the trip next season.Have a feeling Rotherham will make it which will be a great feat to be promoted 2 years running dispite the obnoxious Steve Evans.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    K bola now there's a blast from the post.i expect he's posting some where "liking Russell Slades work at the moment "Hope Orient go up as we took an armada of boats up the Thames there this season so hope to repeat the trip next season.Have a feeling Rotherham will make it which will be a great feat to be promoted 2 years running dispite the obnoxious Steve Evans.

I think you've got Mr Evan's worked out well there as I think the same as do many people, I was told last season he wasn't even liked all that much by a good many people inside Rotherham United and up until the late fantastic run that got them promoted from League 2 last time home crowds were starting to really turn against him.

I remember our local phone-ins around that time and their fans were ringing in always moaning about him because he was unusually wild, nasty and foul mouthed on the touchline a lot of it against his OWN PLAYERS. What I was told was he was toast at the end of that season, ..... but then came that incredible winning run and promotion and it all died down and went. Now these days I must admit the chairman backs him to the hilt and the fans just keep quiet enjoying the success.

Good old Bola eh! ... madcap, controversial, different in views to most and prone to losing it big time every now and again (once threatened to come and beat me up after a slight disagreement in here) ... but do you know what?, ... I wish the scallywag was still in here he was great reading and I loved how he worshipped his Ronnie and Jason while everyone else wanted them throttling. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old 50 words per second Danny Kelly in this morning for Brazil (and in Thursday, Friday and next Monday) while Mr B and Way Pawour visit the Far East where the ladyboys live, I'm not inferring for one second they're there for that sort of thing of course. :D

Mr Kelly in with Daveeeeeeed Ginola (not exactly the ideal partner incidentally as you could catch a cold by the time Daveeeeeeeeed's got what he wants to say out in his broken English and Kelly's approach more machine gun gone mad style) - very early on Kelly mentioned 606 and "Spurs Love-Ins" (a definite slight on the BBC again noted) then very shortly went on to do his very own 'Spurs Love-In' for the next whole four hours.

I know he supports and worships Tottenham Hotspur FC and Daveeeeed's a Spurs legend but honestly you couldn't make it up at times on this crummy station. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I like Danny Kelly.....but i wish he would slow down he makes a mistake nearly every sentence because he talks so fast......and let the other person actually answer his question before asking another.
    David Ginola does not bring anything to the table...his accent is poor for a radio show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Danny Kelly.....but i wish he would slow down he makes a mistake nearly every sentence because he talks so fast......and let the other person actually answer his question before asking another.
    David Ginola does not bring anything to the table...his accent is poor for a radio show.

Someone's mentioned on a different website they saw Danny Kelly on the TV with Danny Baker just recently and that he's now nearly as massive as a house and made baker look skeletal he needs to start doing something about his weight and health or it'll not be Al pushing up the daisies it'll be Mr Kelly and none of us want that to happen.
    I don't mind Kelly too much even though he comes with faults, when you've got a station with the likes of Quinn, Forde, Durham, Gough, Cork and yes A. Brazil (cos he's sell-by-date gone) how can one pull Kelly to bits even with his faults.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Kelly is fine by me. When you look at the dross they have at that station, he's a godsend!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Kelly is fine by me. When you look at the dross they have at that station, he's a godsend!

No I think your right, I know I do often mention his faults but apart from those I have always liked his enthusiastic fan type approach and eagerness for the game and overall he does do an excellent job and I ought to point these things out more often than picking out the faults.
    I'll tell you another guy I think I should mention more positively more often (even though I might get mobbed for saying it) .... Saggers, I do enjoy his shows when he's not playing the fool shouting too and fro with Stan Collymore, when they act normal they put out shows that really take my interest.
    My god two praises in a row on the same day,:o better get back in moaning mode I'm going soft.
  • Options
    RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    My god two praises in a row on the same day

Go and have a lie down William ;-):D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and have a lie down William ;-):D:o

Your right I wasn't well Mr Pillar I'm booked in at the doctors for 11am today and he should be able to give me something to get me back to normal again, I've never had this come over me before feeling all warm and grateful towards talksport presenters now I know how you and the Difference feel all the time god it's a ghastly illness. :(
  • Options
    helen wattshelen watts Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Record breaking listening figures for the breakfast show.
  • Options
    Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting. They seem to be claiming record listening all round the schedule. LBC is doing the same, really bigging up Nick Ferrari. Personally, I'm suspicious of these numbers. I bet they will trumpet even higher figures off the back of the world cup. I'd love to know how the advertising industry judges all this.

Listened in to breakfast as Danny Kelly is on. Why is Cork struggling with this match fixing cricket story. It is a huge story and all I'm hearing is constant denials of any approaches. He seems very nervous and even if he is disgusted by yet another scandal he should be analysing this story to the max as an ex player turned pundit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True enough but it's still only one and a half million from a football mad population of 65 million and also should be mentioned the one and a half million won't tune in every day and stick with it a lot will switch on and be retuning to other channels throughout the show like me, fleeting listeners.
    But I'm biased Helen I admit that openly for I honestly believe a better breakfast show with different presenters and a better format they could get 4 million tuning in every day.
  • Options
    RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I honestly believe a better breakfast show with different presenters and a better format they could get 4 million tuning in every day.

haha - time for another lie down, William ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than a month to the World Cup in Brazil now it's creeping up so fast I can't believe it. HOW WILL WE DO WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK?.

There has been drastic change over the last few years, before we always went into it with a hope of somehow winning it or at least us reaching the semis or quarters but now finally after years of false hope nearly everyone all agrees we ain't at the top table any more with the big guns and we'll do well to scramble out of the early group stage.

I think the change in expectation should be a real spur to the squad, they know they're not going to get slaughtered on getting back after an early exit unlike in the past when they did get hammered, it's 11 against 11 they have to remember that, it's tough, it's the world's best players but for god sake give it everything England and see where it takes you and let's piss Sleeper right off. :D
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,062
    Forum Member
    Little interview/quick question section with Sam Matterface in the Radio Times this week.
  • Options
    Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'll wait for UTV's financials. I'd like to see if these increased listening figures translate into revenue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    How do they work out listening figures.
    Sometimes i only listen for 10 minutes....sometimes maybe a couple of hours. so how can they work out these figures is beyond me.
    A friend of mine listens to TS because he finds it embarrasingly funny. he also dips in an out of programmes.....should these listening be taken with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    i'll wait for UTV's financials. I'd like to see if these increased listening figures translate into revenue.

Revenues were up 16% in Q1:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/15/talksport-revenues-world-cup
    Sometimes i only listen for 10 minutes....sometimes maybe a couple of hours. so how can they work out these figures is beyond me.
    A friend of mine listens to TS because he finds it embarrasingly funny. he also dips in an out of programmes.....should these listening be taken with a pinch of salt.

There are two elements to it - the reach is the number of people tuning in at any point during the week, the share is the total share of all radio listening (expressed as a percentage). If a lot of people listen to a station in short bursts they will have a good reach but poor share.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The listening figures are only there for the advertisers really. They don't care at all why someone listens; if they hear the ads, they hear the ads!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I think your right, I know I do often mention his faults but apart from those I have always liked his enthusiastic fan type approach and eagerness for the game and overall he does do an excellent job and I ought to point these things out more often than picking out the faults.
    I'll tell you another guy I think I should mention more positively more often (even though I might get mobbed for saying it) .... Saggers, I do enjoy his shows when he's not playing the fool shouting too and fro with Stan Collymore, when they act normal they put out shows that really take my interest.
    My god two praises in a row on the same day,:o better get back in moaning mode I'm going soft.

Mark Saggers was completely different when at 5Live. A proper professional broadcaster. He just plays up to Talksport's Tabloidy/Sensationalistic style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    Interesting. They seem to be claiming record listening all round the schedule. LBC is doing the same, really bigging up Nick Ferrari. Personally, I'm suspicious of these numbers. I bet they will trumpet even higher figures off the back of the world cup. I'd love to know how the advertising industry judges all this.

Listened in to breakfast as Danny Kelly is on. Why is Cork struggling with this match fixing cricket story. It is a huge story and all I'm hearing is constant denials of any approaches. He seems very nervous and even if he is disgusted by yet another scandal he should be analysing this story to the max as an ex player turned pundit.

Cork has been fully exposed as a useless broadcaster. Why should it be any surprise that he cant even 'talk' cricket?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every match, every goal on Talksport.

Yes. If you dont listen on Talksport, there will be no games, no goals.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arriving late to the party here, but to give my twopenneth worth on the League One Play-Offs, I too would really like to see Leyton Orient go up on May 25th at Wembley.

This is not because of any particular fondness for them and/or dislike of any of the other three teams involved (although as a Walsall fan, given the amount of time we spent hovering around sixth spot, it would have been a bit painful to see Peterborough go up), simply because they've been very much the third best team in the division all season long and as such I feel they are most deserving of promotion. As I'm sure the fans of League One clubs among us will attest, for much of the season it was a three way battle for automatic promotion between Wolves, Brentford and Orient. While I think the three teams finished in the right order in the end and the gap between Orient and the rest narrowed once automatic promotion issues were sorted, I think over the course of the season they've been well ahead of the rest of the pack in a way that isn't true of the top Play-Off teams in the Championship and League Two. As such I'd like to see them go up.

Great to hear Jim Proudfoot back on talkSPORT, first as the reporter at said Peterborough v Leyton Orient game on Tuesday night and now in the presenter's chair on Kick Off tonight. Welcome back Jim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Saggers was completely different when at 5Live. A proper professional broadcaster. He just plays up to Talksport's Tabloidy/Sensationalistic style.
    Yes I agree he does but in the main for me he's still better than most of them there I know that isn't saying much though.

Cork has been fully exposed as a useless broadcaster. Why should it be any surprise that he cant even 'talk' cricket?
    Has anyone a clue what Dominic Cork brings to the table on the Alan Brazil Sports breakfast Show?, he just sits there mostly silent for four hours, when spoken to just agrees with everyone and offers nothing at all. I don't know what he's getting paid but whatever it is it's a fantastic job.

Every match, every goal on Talksport.
    Yes. If you dont listen on Talksport, there will be no games, no goals.
    They keep telling us all on the promos we'll all be hearing every goal in every game on talkSPORT at this World Cup the true reality is we'll all be watching every goal in every game ON THE TELEVISION. I never listen to any of their commentaries I think they're terrible, over excitable goons and constant reminders that we're listening to it on you-know-bloody-what.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The method how they work out radio listening figures is one big joke and not to be taken too seriously because it's very unlikely to be anywhere near accurate.
This discussion has been closed.