TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) 2014

1235»

Comments

• Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Well, considering all the poor reviews, I didn't find the film that bad. It wasn't a 10/10, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't rate it as low as many critics seem to have done. It was a fun popconk flick, and did it's job as that fairly well, at least I thought so.

Wasn't overly impressed with Shredder, seemed a bit lame as a big bad, and Megan Fox's acting left much to be desired, but otherwise, no complaints from me.

7/10
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    In the 80's cartoon I'm sure there was a connection between Oroku Saki (Shredder) and Hamoto Yoshi (Splinter) - is this changed in the latest movie? In the 1990 movie it was changed so Splinter was a pet of Yoshi instead of actually being Yoshi himself, or something like that
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Well, considering all the poor reviews, I didn't find the film that bad. It wasn't a 10/10, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't rate it as low as many critics seem to have done. It was a fun popconk flick, and did it's job as that fairly well, at least I thought so.

Wasn't overly impressed with Shredder, seemed a bit lame as a big bad, and Megan Fox's acting left much to be desired, but otherwise, no complaints from me.

7/10

I watched it last night and though the same thing. Not the best movie, and yes Shredder is all wrong compared to how I remember him from the cartoons/90's film. I've never read the original comics.

Megan fox is not a great actress but is very good to look at and I think she looks better now then she did in Transformers.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok. Nothing special but I do think there is the potential for the sequel to be something good but it will need a lot of improvement and better writers to make it happen
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very basic. They didn't attempt to delve into the rich history of the Shredder and his Foot Clan. Not even successfully making his formidable.

The Turtles were ok, but, I would've much rather human looking turtles fighting a human Shredder without the robotic armour.

Overall, it wasn't bad but it wasn't really anywhere being good or satisfying. Therefore , i'm giving it a 4/10.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I actually quite enjoyed this, wasn't really a fan of previous adaptations so I didn't go into this with any baggage so to speak.

Thought that visually the turtles were well done & that their characters were strong enough that I cared what happened to them.

Time wise this definitely didn't outstay it's welcome so overall it did more than enough to get a 7/10 from me...
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preferred the original Turtles 1 and 2 movies.

Don't know if it was down to Michael Bay but Shredder as a transformer-esque figure didn't work at all, footclan with guns also does not work.

The Ninja Turtles are supposed to be trained in the art of ninjitsu, the turtles in this movie were like massive wrestlers on roids with hardly any martial art skills. Where was the use of their weapons like Michelangelo with his nunchakus.

Origin was also a letdown, Splinter learned all the skills from a book...
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Preferred the original Turtles 1 and 2 movies.

Don't know if it was down to Michael Bay but Shredder as a transformer-esque figure didn't work at all, footclan with guns also does not work.

The Ninja Turtles are supposed to be trained in the art of ninjitsu, the turtles in this movie were like massive wrestlers on roids with hardly any martial art skills. Where was the use of their weapons like Michelangelo with his nunchakus.

Origin was also a letdown, Splinter learned all the skills from a book...

I think the lack of weapons was down to its 12a rating. I could be wrong.

I enjoyed it my boys enjoyed it, a bit cheesy at times, but masked eith humour.

7/10 for me
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I think the lack of weapons was down to its 12a rating. I could be wrong.

I enjoyed it my boys enjoyed it, a bit cheesy at times, but masked eith humour.

7/10 for me

The original turtles movies had some pretty decent Nunchaku scenes and they were PG.
  • PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    I finally saw it and what a wasted opportunity. Such a poor dull film. I only enjoyed about 10 mins of it and most of that was due to Michelangelo. :p

Megan Fox was rather bad and the whole film just seemed to have no proper direction. One big mess. Also I didn't like Splinters voice much and found him learning Martial Arts from a book a bit silly.

Shredder was ridiculously OTT. Also I found the music during the first half a bit annoying as it kept reminding me of Indiana Jones or something. :p

The 1990 movie will always rule. Sure it looks dated but it still has loads of charm and technically is impressive (for that time).
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally saw it and what a wasted opportunity. Such a poor dull film. I only enjoyed about 10 mins of it and most of that was due to Michelangelo. :p

Megan Fox was rather bad and the whole film just seemed to have no proper direction. One big mess. Also I didn't like Splinters voice much and found him learning Martial Arts from a book a bit silly.

Shredder was ridiculously OTT. Also I found the music during the first half a bit annoying as it kept reminding me of Indiana Jones or something. :p

The 1990 movie will always rule. Sure it looks dated but it still has loads of charm and technically is impressive (for that time).

This misfire caused me to dig out that DVD. Surprisingly a little bit better than I remember it. The opening was perfect, the fight scenes were really quite intense and the ending was what you'd want. Amazing how good it was because you can tell it's little more than an indie production.

This is a movie in which Bay get's a lot of criticism for. It looks like his type of film and stars Megan Fox when Anna Kendrick would have been perfect. Yet it would have been a lot better had he actually directed the thing.
  • PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    This misfire caused me to dig out that DVD. Surprisingly a little bit better than I remember it. The opening was perfect, the fight scenes were really quite intense and the ending was what you'd want. Amazing how good it was because you can tell it's little more than an indie production.

Yeah I agree with you on all of that. Also I liked how they actually felt like brothers and a close knit family and how you got to know each turtle.

In the 2014 movie everything just rushes by. You don't really get to know about the turtles personalties much. It doesn't feel unique and is very transformer-ish in tone though I guess that'll be down to bay.

The CGI doesn't help much either. It all feels disconnected.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was dreading watching this because of the micheal bay factor and also rumours of aliens etc

but i really enjoyed it, it wasnt overly long, it didnt have stupid annoying human characters, the turtles were true to themselves, the humour was spot on and the action wasnt confusing like transformers.

shredder also want as bad as i expected as he isnt a full on robot.

all in all very enjoyable film and i hope same team make the sequel.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    I need this film to be released on dvd!! I loved it. 10/10 for me, was everything I hoped for and more. Can't wait for the sequel.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sequel has a director. David Green (Earth to Echo) has joined.

Megan Fox, Will Arnett and the character of Shredder are all returning along with new characters Bebop and Rocksteady.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    I need this film to be released on dvd!! I loved it. 10/10 for me, was everything I hoped for and more. Can't wait for the sequel.

10/10 - you must be easily pleased if you think this trash is perfect.