Options

What does 'Music snob' actually mean?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
Forum Member
✭✭
To me, it's somebody that thinks they are superior to others because of their musical tastes, somebody that makes nasty blanket statements about all fans of a particular type/piece of music.

Having a different taste in music fine, to say you don't like a certain piece or genre of music is fine and to state why that music doesn't personally appeal to you, is fine but when you start saying things like "ugh it's just chav music for the lowest common denominator" "Music for the Tesco Mums" (I have no idea what the hell that means but I've seen it be said on here.) and when you start branding people as brainless sheep for liking a certain peice of music, then to me yes that does make you a music snob.

I would never call all fans of a certain music genre anything and I would only ever call somebody a music snob for looking down on others.

Comments

• Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More often than not is it used on here against someone for simply having a different taste in music.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to be one of those posters, but why not just carry on this thread you started the other week about the exact same thing? http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2030288
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Not to be one of those posters, but why not just carry on this thread you started the other week about the exact same thing? http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2030288

They aren't about the exact same thing... This one specifically asks "what does a music snob actually mean" I didn't ask that in the thread you've posted and in that thread, I also said that I wasn't referring to music snobbery, so actually they are two different topics.

Also I don't know how to dig up my old threads on the iphone... If I can't seem to find it again I just forget about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More often than not is it used on here against someone for simply having a different taste in music.

I've noticed this, which is why I asked what other people thought it meant, because it seems people use it differently to me.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exclusively, but it seems to be people who listen to non-commercial music. According to one friend who looked through my music one day, I should be ashamed that most of my music is typical top 40 tat.

I'm sorry I don't have the time to browse YouTube and Spotify for unsigned artists, I tend to just listen to music when driving (on the radio) or listening to my own music when doing other things.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A music snob is someone that only likes real music.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never been called one as far as i can recall but i would take it as a compliment:p
    Its like someone who eats nothing but McD's calling someone else a food snob.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exclusively, but it seems to be people who listen to non-commercial music. According to one friend who looked through my music one day, I should be ashamed that most of my music is typical top 40 tat.

I'm sorry I don't have the time to browse YouTube and Spotify for unsigned artists, I tend to just listen to music when driving (on the radio) or listening to my own music when doing other things.

To me, a music snob is someone who refuses to listen to any commercial mainstream music or acknowledge that any artist who is successful can also be good or talented. I listen to a lot of indie non-commercial stuff but I also like some mainstream artists like Madonna. To me a snob would be someone who dismisses any commercial music without even listening to it or giving it a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    To me, a music snob is someone who refuses to listen to any commercial mainstream music or acknowledge that any artist who is successful can also be good or talented. I listen to a lot of indie non-commercial stuff but I also like some mainstream artists like Madonna. To me a snob would be someone who dismisses any commercial music without even listening to it or giving it a chance.

See to me, that doesn't make them a 'snob' but it does make them ignorant. Likewise, when people think something can only be good when it HAS charted.

I will admit, I have often wondered to myself... How many people who say "why doesn't good real music ever do well" would actually still be saying the same, if the music they currently listened to WAS Popular? What do you reckon?
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who turn their nose down at the charts. ;-)
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    OP you should quote the specific post you have issue with. I hate when people start topics saying "why does everyone say..." and I read it and think "do they say that?". Most people I know like bits and pieces of different things and realise that it's just their personal tastes.

People like and dislike different things. What they say is just their personal opinion. Why get upset about people having different tastes? I couldn't care less if anyone liked or disliked what I like or what anyone said about it.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a term used by fans of manufactured pop when they can't think of a decent comeback to criticism of their favourite band\singer
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is usually applied to people who buy music for its own sake, rather than purely on the looks or image of the person fronting it.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I think music snobbery can come from all genres, simply from people judging and dismissing something before they know anything about it.

I try not to look down on people for their music tastes, we all listen to some questionable stuff. But I lose respect for an artist when I feel like they are releasing music they think they have to, rather than what they want to.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    There used to be a poster on here who I always found incredibly snobby about his music. He hated 'Scouting for Girls' with a passion and really couldn't understand how anybody would like their music. My simple response along the lines of 'because I personally find their songs catchy, harmless pop' were met with total distain.

And yeah.... I do like Scouting for Girls!! What of it?!?! :D

Got no time for stuff like that. Nobody should justify why they a song or a singer (or indeed anything in life!).
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually had fun being a music snob in my teens

Lexi, lighten up, like crap music, music snobbery will always exist, so carry on listening to what you enjoy and stop getting so hung up
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people like an "Unknown " band and then that band hits the big time they stop liking them cause they have become popular
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    When people like an "Unknown " band and then that band hits the big time they stop liking them cause they have become popular

reminds me of the the type of guys I used to fancy when I was 15 )things have changed now) :D:D:D
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Ive never been called one as far as i can recall but i would take it as a compliment:p
    Its like someone who eats nothing but McD's calling someone else a food snob.

I'm not sure it is.

It's often when someone criticises *pop* music as though all pop music is crap.

When in fact there is an awful lot great *pop* music.

So I think if someone is that dismissive of pop music generally, then they'd be a bit of a music snob.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is.

It's often when someone criticises *pop* music as though all pop music is crap.

When in fact there is an awful lot great *pop* music.

So I think if someone is that dismissive of pop music generally, then they'd be a bit of a music snob.

But what is great is totally subjective. If someone doesn't like pop music as a whole (unlikely if we go down the pop=popular i.e. chart music and we mean every single bit of it) and another person does then all that shows is they have different tastes. Who is to say which tastes are right or better?

People are free to like and dislike what they want (and we all do) or praise or dismiss what they like. It's only their opinion and matters not a bit, so why be affected by it? The only snobbery is anyone thinking their opinion means anything beyond being their own personal taste.

"xxxxx are the best band in the world and that's an absolute fact and here's the proof"

vs

"xxxxx are my favourite band in the world"

It's taste. It means nothing.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »

Do bands sometimes change their style or evolve into something more generic. Then they often have chart success.
    With me its not a case of snobbery, but a lot of the time a band or artists best album is their first 2 or 3 releases ?
    Then they can become stale ?

Alright I'm a music snob.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are pieces of shit, and nuggets of gold to be found in every genre, from pop to heavy metal, from hip hop to classical, jazz to country etc

No single genre is awful.

Okay, maybe grindcore
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have met so many in my lifetime, but find they are normally just narrow minded and just want to hear the same thing and are not prepared to give anything a chance outside of what they know. There are plenty of acts i do not like, but i normally give acts a fair chance before i decide weather i like their music or not, but ill never passionately bash an artist because at the end of the day in the future they may well do something that changes my opinion completely,

People should just listen to music as it is, id love to hear peoples opinions if you were to gather a bunch of tracks without knowing the artists ect and just playing it to them... Im very much somebody who buys 90% of new releases on a sun/mon regardless if i like the act or not, i just like music, and discovering anything that sounds good to me, hence why i never get bored. i dont believe you should be snobby when it comes to music otherwise you just end up listening to the same stuff over and over again.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with being a music snob, to my mind it's the fact the music comes first & foremost not the image/brand...if image/brand is important then the credit of the music should go to the producers/song writers & musicians used on the track and not the karaoke act fronting it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    They are the reason I limit my use of this forum, that's for sure.