Britain's Got The Pop Factor And Possibly A New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Super

Comments

• The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    it's more a case of using relevant references for the US audience... for example, a joke about Alistair Darling would mean nothing there, but make it about Dick Cheney, and they might laugh?
    How many times do we get episodes of Family Guy where they mention little known American celebrities which over here in the UK we have no idea who the hell there on about. Most of the time I have no idea who the people are they talk about in that show, yet I don't feel the need to have it remade for the British audience. It never spoils my enjoyment of it I just get on with it and watch it.

It just seems they can fiddle about with our programmes and ruin a perfectly good show yet we're expected to except their shows as they are. You never hear of the UK remaking a US TV show (unless it's a gameshow) Let's face it, Americans won't accept anything unless it's spoon fed to them in the style their accustomed to.

If Pheonix Nights ever went to the US they'd insist on ripping it apart and calling it "Manhatten Nights" Set it in a bar in New York and get some overweight American actor to play Brian Potter only they'd probably change his name to 'Bob' or soemthing like that cos Brian isn't very American. The next thing you know it's less Pheonix Nights and more like an episode of Cheers. You see my point?
  • Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Problem here though is deciding which comedy is intelligent and which is not - I doubt we could come up with a comprehensive list even on DS!

True,but i will give it a try.

Seinfeld:D
    Frasier
    Cheers
    Simpsons
    Malcolm in the middle
    Arrested Development

....loads more.My point is,we have no business in complaining about lack of intelligence in US comedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    How many times do we get episodes of Family Guy where they mention little known American celebrities which over here in the UK we have no idea who the hell there on about.

If any programme, not just comedy, makes a reference I don't get, I tend to look it up. I don't mind being made to work a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most dry and ironic thing to come out of there in the last few years is Family Guy, which if it wasn't for it's overseas success was about to be axed after Series 2. If you read the reviews on US websites you'll find people saying things like. "It contains very little jokes" and "It's just not funny." Maybe that's cos you just don't understand it you moron!
    I don't like your tone or attitude, it's rife with prejudice and I find it very offensive. I've sent a complaint.

And no, Family Guy's international sales aren't why it was brought back (it airs on BBC3, evidence enough). It did well on DVD [in the US], and in repeats [in the US]. So Fox brought it back [in the US].

Your list of examples of US comedies isn't very good. And there isn't a US version of The Mighty Boosh. Most shockingly, you seem to think Americans don't know that The Office or Life on Mars is a remake. Well, they do, because the originals are broadcast in the US.

Americans don't remake a series when the original is still in production, they remake them afterwards. And in the case of The Office, it's not really a remake at all. It's the same format, but story wise far more developed (naturally).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never hear of the UK remaking a US TV show (unless it's a gameshow) Let's face it, Americans won't accept anything unless it's spoon fed to them in the style their accustomed to.
    :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Anyone seen American Dad?

Very funny show and several leagues above Peter Kay's homage to X Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Oracle wrote: »
    I don't like your tone or attitude, it's rife with prejudice and I find it very offensive. I've sent a complaint.
    Oh how nice of you. I hope you're sucessful, seeing as I didn't insult you personally and I was merely expressing an opinion on US comedy I don't see how that constitutes as racism. So I can't comment on the fact that US and UK comedy are different? I was merely saying that the US audience don't do UK comedy and don't understand it cos it's a culture difference. How is that being racist? I was stating facts.

There was no need to report anyone. You are out of order and it's a quick and fast route to rub people up the wrong way. Especially when I have never spoken to you in my life before then you go and try and get me thrown off here for having my own opinion. What a nice fellow you are. :rolleyes:

I have just as much right to speak my mind as anyone else. What's the point of having a discussion forum if you can't have an opinion? It's occasions like this which make expressing your opinion a nightmare. People are so affraid to say anything anymore on here cos people like you taking the slightest offence then running off to the mods like some kind of tell tale. Persoanlly I think there should be a warning for people who constantly abuse the Alert button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved BGTPF but it's nowhere near the level of comedic genius that US Office and 30 Rock work on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially when I have never spoken to you in my life before then you go and try and get me thrown off here. What a nice fellow you are. :rolleyes:
    It doesn't matter, I don't like bullies and people who are intolerant.

I didn't call you racist, I called you prejudice. Which you are. Because apparently my idea of intelligent comedy is a man slipping on a banana skin, and I'm a moron that requires spoon feeding.

I want to make clear one thing: British series get shown in America, on mainstream channels with millions of viewers. The bigger UK shows air only a few weeks behind the UK (like Doctor Who and Torchwood). These series all qualify for Emmy Awards and Golden Globes. Yet none of them (except for Extras) ever get nominated for the main awards, only in the international categories. Despite a bias in-favour of British series.

Don't treat modern British comedy like it's the Second Coming. It's not. And the series that are truly great, and deserve international acclaim, are the ones that get screwed over by their UK channels (like The IT Crowd).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the backlash the BBC is receiving in America over their broadcast of Skins is evidence enough Americans don't need spoon-feeding.

(In-case you don't know, they're subtitling Skins. And ratings are down because of it.)

And the fact series like Torchwood and Secret Diary of a Call Girl are just as big, if not bigger in the US than they are in the UK is further proof. And Red Dwarf wouldn't be coming back if it was for America.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter, I don't like bullies and people who are intolerant.
    Please explain exactly WHO am I supposed to be bullying on here? Have I ever spoken bad about another member or abused anyone? - No.

If by intollerance you mean intollerant to American comedy then yes, I don't like it. If you think it's prejudist to say that I don't believe that the American market accepts or understands British humour then I feel I have every right to say that. I don't like US comedy and I feel, for me at least alot of it is very dumbed down and immature. That is my opinion and I shouldn't be brought before the firing squad because of it.

However, If your accusing me of being intollerant to American people then your wrong. How could I possibbly hate a whole nation of people I havn't even met? You have accused me of being prejudist and tried to get me into trouble and thow me off here. I may have strong opinions but I don't believe I have been racist or prejudist or done anything to deserve such a thing and for that I believe you owe me an apology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    You never hear of the UK remaking a US TV show

Looks like some lucky so-and-so never had the misfortune of watching Brighton Belles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. America is one of the most diverse countries in the world, it has so many different cultures and personalities that it is almost unreal.

So where do you get off portraying an entire country as mentally retarded? The words and phrases you use are disgusting. Don't you understand, as an ex-pat, of course I'm offended. But even if I wasn't, you are still a bigot, and I don't accept any kind of prejudice.

Nobody has a problem with you disliking American comedies. It's your other comments. And if this was an American forum and this thread tore into British people, I would say exactly the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like some lucky so-and-so never had the misfortune of watching Brighton Belles.
    Oh I forgot about that one. Wasn't that the Golden Girls remake? No I never got to see that but I believe it was a total flop over here which is why I probably missed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think BBC3's upcoming remake of Bewitched has the potential of being a classic. :D

You just know it's going to be closer to Sabrina the Teenage Witch than the original. With added sex. And swearing. To appeal to the yoofs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most UK remakes seem to reality/game shows. Here's a list from Wiki, though I'm sure there are more:

Gladiators
    Beauty and the Geek
    Blockbusters
    Candid Camera
    Play Your Cards Right
    University Challenge
    The Disney Club
    Double Dare
    Family Fortunes
    Finders Keepers
    Fun House
    Gambit
    The Brighton Belles
    The Fosters
    Greed
    Celebrity Squares
    Loved By You
    Married For Life
    Blankety Blank
    Nobody's Perfect
    The Murder Game
    The Name's the Same
    Bruce's Price Is Right
    Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
    Saturday Live/Friday Night Live
    Sid Caesar Invites You
    Supermarket Sweep
    Days Like These
    The Apprentice
    Celebrity Soup
    What's My Line?
    Wheel of Fortune
    The Upper Hand
    Win Beadle's Money
    Total Wipeout

You can add Bewitched in there. I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where do you get off portraying an entire country as mentally retarded? The words and phrases you use are disgusting. Don't you understand, as an ex-pat, of course I'm offended. But even if I wasn't, you are still a bigot, and I don't accept any kind of prejudice.
    You have totally misquoted me and have NOW accused me of using the words "mentally retarded". My girlfriend happens to be disabled so I would NEVER use such words. I am totally offended by that and have a good mind to actually report YOU for taking my whole post out of context and accusing me of things I havn't said.

When I used the phrase "you moron" I was being flippant and wasn't aiming that at anyone (or nation) in particular but at the people who say that they can't see the jokes in Family Guy. If you can't see that Family Guy contains jokes and funnies then you must be stupid is what I was actually saying. It just so happened that they were on a US website and my point was that I didn't think that Americans got irony. And by the way they style their sit-coms It seems that they prefer it that way.

Have you forgot that this is still supposed to be a Peter Kay thread? Can we get back to it now please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Law & Order: London. And IIRC The L Word and Army Wives might be adapted soon too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My girlfriend happens to be disabled so I would NEVER use such words. I am totally offended by that and have a good mind to actually report YOU for taking my whole post out of context and accusing me of things I havn't said.
    What do you think moron means? An adult with the mental age of a child. Reiterated by the spoon-feeding comment, banana peel snipe and there apparently being no market for intelligent comedy in the US.

Report me. Try it. I'd like to see what they'd do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Report me. Try it. I'd like to see what they'd do.
    That's very arrogant of you. Actually I wont report you because unlike you I can rise above it. I'm really not all that bothered to tell the truth cos I'm an adult and have learned not to let these things bother me.

As for the "spoon-feeding" comment. Well I could have easily have used the metaphor, "hand it to them on a plate" or "Pre-packed" but I never realised you'd take me completely out of context and turn it into a debate about people with mental illnesses. Personally I find it quite sick that you'd use that as an excuse to get back at me. I already told you that my partner is disabed and I have had 2 nervous breakdowns. Mental illness is not something I joke about.

I always wondered how someone could clock up over 3000 posts without being so cocky! Who cares! If they read my post and agree with you then so be it. They're not just gonna take your word for it cos you feel like accusing me of something I havn't said. And the fact that you've lasted so long with that attitude amazes me. You seem to think your invincible now which amplifies your arrogance.

To be honest if I have to sit on here an be accused by people like you I'd probably rather not stay anyway. You still never answered my question, "Who am I supposed to have bullied?" It really doesn't matter as it's another of your accusations. I have a life outside DS. I just use this to pass the time so I'll leave you to command your little forum while I go to bed. Some of us have a life and work to go to in the morning.
    Forum Member
    Stop acting such a pric.k Oracle:(

I started off supporting your point of view btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Im gonna report the pair of you for taking the thread so far off topic its laughable!:D

Now get a room!:p
  • spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Seinfeld honestly lumped in as a dumb slapstick cheap laugh sitcom on the last page?

Seinfeld?
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub1 wrote: »
    Anyone seen American Dad?

Very funny show and several leagues above Peter Kay's homage to X Factor.

I generally don't watch American 'comedy' shows.

Quite simply because I just do not find their view of 'comedy' slightly amusing.

As for this show (Britiain's got the ......) - it was a one-off and as such, highly amusing. It would not work for me other than as a one off show.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Well in a country that size your bound to get a proportion of people who appreciate that kind of thing but as a whole, you only have to look at American TV to see the kind of thing I mean. It's all shows like Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, Scrubs, Home Improvement etc. All these are propper laugh out loud, joke a minute sit-coms which persopnally I find a bit stupid and childish.
    Unlike all the intelligent British comedy, like My Family, The Kevin Bishop Show and Two Pints of Lager?