Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    The other problem with both conversations is that he tells more about what is going on with him in the pre-surgery conversation, which LG is not going to remember, even though her anesthesiologist was so incompetent LG was, apparently, awake enough during the surgery to note DM was going to vomit and roll her eyes, WHILE intubated, and while delicate surgery was going on regarding her carotid artery and her brain.

I don't mind suspending my belief, but this requires nuking my beliefs with a hydrogen bomb until all my belief atoms are vaporized! :)

However, once LG is awake and recovering, DM does the annoying kind of "art" talk which hardly anyone does in real life. I mean, after ensuring she is okay, why doesn't he just say "I need your help. I have to process my childhood to be a better husband. I guess we need to be apart until I figure all that out." No, instead we get a barely understandable conversation where everything is insinuated and nothing is actually clearly said. I know that is considered "art" at some level, but in normal life, people just tend to speak their points much more succinctly. At some point I hope DM can start doing that, so he and LG and we fans can all move forward quite a bit in plot comprehension.

Look closer....she wasn't intubated.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I don't think the difference in the times on the watches was significant either. But I respect other folks' right to find meaning and symbolism in that.

I like to talk about the settings and costumes. You said that that had nothing to do with your enjoyment of the show.

You are interested in the medical aspects of the show. I don't question the veracity of your comments. Since I don't care if how he scrubs is the wrong way, I don't know if that has an effect my enjoyment of the show.

However, I try to keep an open mind about everyone's opinion. Maybe one day you or someone else will say something about the medical parts and that will enhance my enjoyment of the show. You seem like an open minded person. Maybe one day you will notice something about the sets and costumes and other technical aspects that will enhance your enjoyment of the show.

Dcdmfan, I did not say the settings etc do not have anything to do with my enjoyment of the show. Like everyone else, I love the views of PW and the ocean, and the small village life, etc. I love the surgery house, but I admit I do not care what the kitchen door looks like each season, and do not really care where the Buddhas show up. That others relish uncovering and recording all that is cool; we all love different aspects of the show through our own unique perspectives. It makes the fan base more well rounded. I mean, if everyone just wanted to do DM, like me, the discussions would be terribly monotonous. :)

What I meant earlier, though, was that when a season is as poorly written as this one was, (my POV), overall, having it still be in PW, with the lovely views, and with LG wearing very nice clothes (which even I noticed), having a different living room sofa, the lighting, the angle of the direction, etc, that is, the technical aspects, can't make up for the inconsistencies, completely confusing and inexplicable "breakdown", and bad writing to elevate the show to higher enjoyment. I place more emphasis on the latter aspects of the show than the former. I appreciate you may do the exact opposite, and focus on technical aspects more than on other things, being the snob you say you are. ;)

I just prefer to not be looked down on as an inferior being for not being "that" into the technical aspects, due to my caring more about whether the writing and character presentation makes the show enjoyable, or not. Consider me watching the show with a beer can in hand while you sip on your expensive Merlot. ;) Even if the lighting hits LG's face so perfectly it's technically exquisite to your eyes, if she is shrieking like a injured shrew, I still won't like the scene. :)
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the list you're referring to? :confused:

Sorry, Forum.

(I'm on email lists for other groups and just used the wrong term).
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, Forum.

(I'm on email lists for other groups and just used the wrong term).
    Oh I see, sorry - I just wondered what you meant. :)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other problem with both conversations is that he tells more about what is going on with him in the pre-surgery conversation, which LG is not going to remember, even though her anesthesiologist was so incompetent LG was, apparently, awake enough during the surgery to note DM was going to vomit and roll her eyes, WHILE intubated, and while delicate surgery was going on regarding her carotid artery and her brain.

I don't mind suspending my belief, but this requires nuking my beliefs with a hydrogen bomb until all my belief atoms are vaporized! :)

However, once LG is awake and recovering, DM does the annoying kind of "art" talk which hardly anyone does in real life. I mean, after ensuring she is okay, why doesn't he just say "I need your help. I have to process my childhood to be a better husband. I guess we need to be apart until I figure all that out." No, instead we get a barely understandable conversation where everything is insinuated and nothing is actually clearly said. I know that is considered "art" at some level, but in normal life, people just tend to speak their points much more succinctly. At some point I hope DM can start doing that, so he and LG and we fans can all move forward quite a bit in plot comprehension.

Let's not say "we need to be apart until I figure this out." Contrary to the way in which Dr. Milligan apparently works, and the 3-minute breakthrough with AR, therapy to work through childhood issues does not probably happen in 10 easy therapy sessions. So if they wait until he's" fixed," it's liable to be a much longer separation than really healthy for their marriage.

(You have your professional issues, I have mine ;))

They could do this while living together, especially if Louisa is occasionally an "adjunct" in the sessions, and thus doesn't feel so shut out, and/or if they also have couples therapy, in which a lot of these childhood issues for both of them would inevitably be raised.

I still don't understand the upshot of the post-op conversation. She's not going to their home, but where exactly? back to her cottage, which presumably has been rented these last 9 months, or sold? to the Crab and Lobster? "Okay" -- she's relieved that he also acknowledges their marriage needs work or "Okay" -- she's disappointed that he acknowledges their marriage isn't working, but doesn't offer any path forward or indicate what he really wants?

I know they did this so as to leave everyone guessing for a couple of years, but so not enjoying it.

My guess though, based on this comment by Martin Clunes before the season aired, about how the problem would be how to keep their relationship alive even if they weren't a couple (wish I could find this interview again for the exact wording!) is that the cottage problem will be solved; they will be living separately, and DM courting her again, for most of S7. Aargh.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dcdmfan, I did not say the settings etc do not have anything to do with my enjoyment of the show. Like everyone else, I love the views of PW and the ocean, and the small village life, etc. I love the surgery house, but I admit I do not care what the kitchen door looks like each season, and do not really care where the Buddhas show up. That others relish uncovering and recording all that is cool; we all love different aspects of the show through our own unique perspectives. It makes the fan base more well rounded. I mean, if everyone just wanted to do DM, like me, the discussions would be terribly monotonous. :)

What I meant earlier, though, was that when a season is as poorly written as this one was, (my POV), overall, having it still be in PW, with the lovely views, and with LG wearing very nice clothes (which even I noticed), having a different living room sofa, the lighting, the angle of the direction, etc, that is, the technical aspects, can't make up for the inconsistencies, completely confusing and inexplicable "breakdown", and bad writing to elevate the show to higher enjoyment. I place more emphasis on the latter aspects of the show than the former. I appreciate you may do the exact opposite, and focus on technical aspects more than on other things, being the snob you say you are. ;)

I just prefer to not be looked down on as an inferior being for not being "that" into the technical aspects, due to my caring more about whether the writing and character presentation makes the show enjoyable, or not. Consider me watching the show with a beer can in hand while you sip on your expensive Merlot. ;) Even if the lighting hits LG's face so perfectly it's technically exquisite to your eyes, if she is shrieking like a injured shrew, I still won't like the scene. :)

I don't think she was as bad a shrew in this series as series 5. I really like her in series 6.

Consider me a soda drinker when it comes to the medical stuff, because I don't drink alcohol.

I look at all kinds of things when I watch the show to give me clues into the meaning of things. I am looking for positives because sometimes I find fault with parts of the show, too. I figured the surgery scene was not realistic. But I enjoyed seeing Martin confident and doing what he is good at - as Penhale said.

I don't look down on you, I think you are open minded. It seemed like you were looking down on my perspective and implying that it is unimportant because it is not important to you. I am just being honest here and I think we should just agree to disagree. I never intended to imply that the medical things are unimportant, because they clearly are because it's a medical show.

Anyway, to everyone, I recommend "Masters of Sex" on Showtime. Dr. Masters is a brilliant surgeon who can't communicate well with his wife and was abused as a child. His mother even comes for a visit. Warning, though, it is not G rated, it is pretty graphic.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I like that! It makes sense to me. I was horrified when he said his grandfather had him kill and dissect the frog. It makes perfect sense to me that a 5 year old boy might think that he could put the frog back together. His grandfather had to be a moron not to think that it is a horrible thing to make a 5 year old kill a living creature. His parents certainly hid behind the excuse of "that is what one did in those days" to justify their abuse. In series 5 Ruth tells Martin that his parents let him cry and Martin said "thinking has changed since then, it never did me any harm". Maybe now he is finally breaking through his denial that his parents abused him.

I have to disagree with the comments about his grandfather. Henry E. saw a precocious boy whose parents weren't doing anything to encourage him. I am also assuming that he didn't hand a 5 year old a scalpel and some chloroform. He probably did this with him as a means of encouraging a kid interested in biology and science.

DM wanted to name his son after him, it's a happy memory - I know he's in denial about the extent of his miserable childhood, but I doubt Christopher or Margaret will ever be in the running. And he's never described his parents as anything but vile - no happy memories.

My grandfather and I used to go fishing. Afterwards we would kill, clean and cook whatever we caught. It's a fairly common story where I grew up and I'm guessing alot of other people have similar stories. (Out of honesty, i should admit that usually what I caught was tiny and thrown back...but that's not the point. :rolleyes:)
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see, sorry - I just wondered what you meant. :)

You'll also notice that some people refer to a forum as a 'board'.

This harks back to pre-internet days where people would set up 'bulletin boards' and you would have to sign up to each one separately and dial a new number to connect to each board you wanted to check/post on.

And the kids today ... :D

(Apologies if you already knew this but I'm pretty sure there must be people who wonder why others occasionally use the term 'boar' to refer to a forum.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there must be people who wonder why others occasionally use the term 'boar' to refer to a forum.)

Its because they were a pig to use :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-severe-storm-warning-2644915

Hope Port Isaac -- and everywhere else -- comes through this alright.

80 mph winds sounds bad -- we experience those here in the U.S. during hurricane seasons but isn't this very rare in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    I have to disagree with the comments about his grandfather. Henry E. saw a precocious boy whose parents weren't doing anything to encourage him. I am also assuming that he didn't hand a 5 year old a scalpel and some chloroform. He probably did this with him as a means of encouraging a kid interested in biology and science.

DM wanted to name his son after him, it's a happy memory - I know he's in denial about the extent of his miserable childhood, but I doubt Christopher or Margaret will ever be in the running. And he's never described his parents as anything but vile - no happy memories.

My grandfather and I used to go fishing. Afterwards we would kill, clean and cook whatever we caught. It's a fairly common story where I grew up and I'm guessing alot of other people have similar stories. (Out of honesty, i should admit that usually what I caught was tiny and thrown back...but that's not the point. :rolleyes:)

Everybody has their own views on things like that I guess. I never did that sort of thing growing up. I hope they used chloroform on the poor creature. I envisioned them holding frog down to keep it still and slicing his chest open. I had that image in mind, so it seemed like deliberate cruelty. I like your imagery better. Ruth did say they Henry wouldn't let her call him Daddy, wouldn't let them show emotion, etc., so he wasn't a great guy to his children. I guess I was thinking about that, too. He must have been different with Martin, or at least he was better than Martin's parents who didn't pay much attention to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybody has their own views on things like that I guess. I never did that sort of thing growing up. I hope they used chloroform on the poor creature. I envisioned them holding frog down to keep it still and slicing his chest open. I had that image in mind, so it seemed like deliberate cruelty. I like your imagery better. Ruth did say they Henry wouldn't let her call him Daddy, wouldn't let them show emotion, etc., so he wasn't a great guy to his children. I guess I was thinking about that, too. He must have been different with Martin, or at least he was better than Martin's parents who didn't pay much attention to him.

What you do to frogs to kill them for dissection is called "pithing". One uses a large needle ie sharp object and inserts it into the back of the frog's head, then you go up into the skull and stir around a bit, destroying the cerebral cortex. This renders the frog senseless while the brain stem stays intact. In this way you can see the heart beat and the lungs breathe when you dissect it. Not very nice. I don't want to tell you what we did with rats when I was doing research.
  • Options
    akanippyakanippy Posts: 134
    Forum Member

I have had a radical and perhaps heretical idea. It is time to ditch the ' St Louisa ' image and stop thinking of her as a victim. Look at what has happened. She seduced Martin,has had his baby and is now married to him. Also she is trying to change him (a big mistake). Louisa is a small town girl, happy to stay in Portwenn. Martin is dying to get back to surgery which is where he can use his considerable talent and get away from this claustrophobic atmosphere. Perhaps Louisa really had de Clérambault's syndrome just as Martin suspected very early on.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    akanippy wrote: »
    I have had a radical and perhaps heretical idea. It is time to ditch the ' St Louisa ' image and stop thinking of her as a victim. Look at what has happened. She seduced Martin,has had his baby and is now married to him. Also she is trying to change him (a big mistake). Louisa is a small town girl, happy to stay in Portwenn. Martin is dying to get back to surgery which is where he can use his considerable talent and get away from this claustrophobic atmosphere. Perhaps Louisa really had de Clérambault's syndrome just as Martin suspected very early on.

ROFLMAO.

Martin was a small town GP.

Any suspicion on his part of de Clérambault's syndrome with himself as the focus would be more appropriately diagnosed as 'delusions of grandeur' on the part of M. Ellingham. :D
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »
    ROFLMAO.

Martin was a small town GP.

I thought he was a surgeon from London and left because of his blood phobia :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    M & LE are equally as guilty to the failings of their marriage and it's based purely on communication. It's not just M being inconsiderate or shutting L out. L can't seem to understand that M doesn't understand what she means when she barely provides and explanation of why she gets frustrated with him. She seems to expect him to know how she feels or figure out how she feels. It's no different than what happens in any relationship. He can't seem to open up and share with her how he feels and that's frustrating in itself. He needs to figure out how to let her know how he feels and she needs to figure out how to make him comfortable enough to share that.

I'm frankly tired of the "will they or won't they?" cycle series after series. It's tiring and is driving me nuts! Just get these two back on track and together then come up with some good storylines that keep the audience engaged and interested. Just because they finally got married, doesn't kill every programme out there, just some. Series 6 was way too heavy, but necessary to get us to the point where the next step is either end it or keep going (I am hopeful for the latter). The constant breaking up and making up wears me out and doesn't move the programme forward. Bring 'em together and keep 'em together once and for all! Find other things to build their story around. I see a great coming together in watching them when they have to work together to help someone. From Peter Cronk in series 1, to Caroline in series 2, Holly in series 3, and the old man in the first episode of series 6. They're a good team and need to take what they've learned from helping others, to helping themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Considering the entire series 6 after seeing episode 8, everything is more clear about the direction of the storyline. Overall this was a great series with the usual reliance on the Portwenn Effect to excuse production and writing mistakes. The story has taken a much more interesting twist with the Doc finally admitting he needs help and Louisa.

I wonder if the Doc's tears in the lavatory stall after Louisa's surgery came from him finally acknowledging that his surgical career is over. Although he successfully performed the procedure after vomiting when he saw blood, his dilemma remains: the hemophobic surgeon Now if he seeks mental health help as Aunt Ruth recommended, he will be focused on repairing his marriage to Louisa rather than his surgical career. Even if he learns to cope with the hemophobia as part of his overall treatment, will he make Louisa happy if he tries to return to London and surgery (nothing was mentioned in series 6 about surgery and London, but he seems to want to be a surgeon once more)? Or will her happiness with him be tied to remaining in Portwenn?
    Many good stories to pursue into series 7
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    What you do to frogs to kill them for dissection is called "pithing". One uses a large needle ie sharp object and inserts it into the back of the frog's head, then you go up into the skull and stir around a bit, destroying the cerebral cortex. This renders the frog senseless while the brain stem stays intact. In this way you can see the heart beat and the lungs breathe when you dissect it. Not very nice. I don't want to tell you what we did with rats when I was doing research.
    mazzieblue wrote: »

Same as you, Mazzie, with fishing, except I have to say I caught some.:) But growing up in a rural environment, I learned early about life and death, babies and still births and meat. My son learned about it similarly, as he was ready. At 3+ he noticed a buck, doe, and fawn, and asked if it took a mommy and daddy deer to make a baby deer and on we went from there as he was ready to experience new things and more information.

Since Grandfather Henry seems to be a happy memory, I would say he was responding to a curious little boy, I hope. Suffice it to say as well, that some grandparents turn out much better with their grandchildren, because they've already gone through all the uncertainty and trepidation of parenting and can just be more patient and kind in the later part of their lives.

So I'm just not really sure the frog is the thing we should be attending to. I worry a lot more about coldness, lack of parental love and care, locking a child in a closet, and hitting them. Aunt Ruth attests to that re his parents. Mummy herself admits her treatment of him in S2. Aunt Joan similarly has disdain for them. DM finally admits and challenges his mum for not being around him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for this. It makes it a more of a medical process than I envisioned before. I can now see how that would have been a special experience for Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as you, Mazzie, with fishing, except I have to say I caught some.:) But growing up in a rural environment, I learned early about life and death, babies and still births and meat. My son learned about it similarly, as he was ready. At 3+ he noticed a buck, doe, and fawn, and asked if it took a mommy and daddy deer to make a baby deer and on we went from there as he was ready to experience new things and more information.

Since Grandfather Henry seems to be a happy memory, I would say he was responding to a curious little boy, I hope. Suffice it to say as well, that some grandparents turn out much better with their grandchildren, because they've already gone through all the uncertainty and trepidation of parenting and can just be more patient and kind in the later part of their lives.

So I'm just not really sure the frog is the thing we should be attending to. I worry a lot more about coldness, lack of parental love and care, locking a child in a closet, and hitting them. Aunt Ruth attests to that re his parents. Mummy herself admits her treatment of him in S2. Aunt Joan similarly has disdain for them. DM finally admits and challenges his mum for not being around him.

Of course all of those issues are truly more important, but phobias have a root in past experience....a dog bite....fear of dogs....a snake in the bathroom.....fear of snakes. Ruth pointed out that she knew a sensitive, vulnerable 4 year old and then knew a shut down 6 year old. Something happened in that interval. We know his grandfather gave him a frog to dissect when he was 5. That's the only thing we know so that's why we focus on it. It could be absolutely dead wrong but they frequently say things that come to mean something later. It could have been inconsequential that the toy Martin found on the floor was a frog, that he then slipped in his pocket before talking to Mummy Dearest. The blood issue......who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I must say, this was the analogy that came to mind when Martin kept on eating after Louisa walked out in S5E6. It seemed like he didn't even know he'd just been stabbed in the heart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    M & LE are equally as guilty to the failings of their marriage and it's based purely on communication. It's not just M being inconsiderate or shutting L out. L can't seem to understand that M doesn't understand what she means when she barely provides and explanation of why she gets frustrated with him. She seems to expect him to know how she feels or figure out how she feels. It's no different than what happens in any relationship. He can't seem to open up and share with her how he feels and that's frustrating in itself. He needs to figure out how to let her know how he feels and she needs to figure out how to make him comfortable enough to share that.

I'm frankly tired of the "will they or won't they?" cycle series after series. It's tiring and is driving me nuts! Just get these two back on track and together then come up with some good storylines that keep the audience engaged and interested. Just because they finally got married, doesn't kill every programme out there, just some. Series 6 was way too heavy, but necessary to get us to the point where the next step is either end it or keep going (I am hopeful for the latter). The constant breaking up and making up wears me out and doesn't move the programme forward. Bring 'em together and keep 'em together once and for all! Find other things to build their story around. I see a great coming together in watching them when they have to work together to help someone. From Peter Cronk in series 1, to Caroline in series 2, Holly in series 3, and the old man in the first episode of series 6. They're a good team and need to take what they've learned from helping others, to helping themselves.
    I agree with this so much. Just wish we could get this simple idea across to MC and company.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    Maybe this series is in part about on what it means, actually, to be "husband" and "wife" -- just as S5 was in part about becoming parents.

I just hope S7 will be how to become friends...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paperchase wrote: »
    The wedding night that never was, is

He left the surgery in tears. She is sleeping like his princess. She asked for her husband. He returned to his wife, his patient, a changed man.

Later it was reported as he left the castle, he had developed a swagger like a king.

Loved it!
    He carried her into his own territory, his true home, where he can be who he think he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paperchase wrote: »
    However, the very last scene I saw a changed man walk down the halls of the Turrow hospital. If you notice his strut, his shoulders are back, head is up, gait is wide; which tells me he is not afraid. Almost like he sleuthed the dragon (His mum, I'm sure.) This is what made me think of a King or Knight.

He is determined. He is clever and willing enough to achieve everything he wants to.
    He is a man on a mission.
This discussion has been closed.