Options

Christmas TV movie premieres

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see that this year the BBC are showing Disney's Pinocchio (1940) Cinderella (1950) and 101 Dalmations (1961) I am very happy about this as a classic Disney fan. I notice too that all of these are TV premieres and it has taken over 50/60 plus years for them to be shown o British TV. It has got me thinking about TV Christmas premieres, and how important they are in the festive schedules.

I recall the 1984 Xmas premiere on TV of Mary Poppins, also the Back to the future premiere of 1988. What other premieres can you remember being really pleased about, and are they still relevent in today's online world?

Comments

• Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember what year it was but I do recall when ET received it's TV premiere on BBC at Christmas, in fact it may have been the worldwide TV premiere, that was a big deal at the time.

Now of course it's just not the same with so many avenues for movies to go down before terrestrial TV gets a look in, this is reflected by neither BBC 1 and ITV 1 showing any movies on Christmas Day in the peak time evening slots and going for home grown shows instead in recent years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I can't remember what year it was but I do recall when ET received it's TV premiere on BBC at Christmas, in fact it may have been the worldwide TV premiere, that was a big deal at the time.

Now of course it's just not the same with so many avenues for movies to go down before terrestrial TV gets a look in, this is reflected by neither BBC 1 and ITV 1 showing any movies on Christmas Day in the peak time evening slots and going for home grown shows instead in recent years.

I just looked up the premiere of ET on BBC1 on the Xmas TV website, it was Christmas Day 1990! I remember watching it too, was the first time I had seen it.:D
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Titanic, the Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio mega hit version, get it's TV premiere on BBC1 on Christmas Day too? Again not sure of the year, probably about 1999 or 2000.

Another big BBC1 Christmas Day premiere was Jurassic Park, and this time I do remember the year, 1996.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I used to love Christmas TV movie premieres but it kind of lost its attraction as I got Sky in the early to mid 90's and now with being subscribed to Netflix and Amazon. Still fun though. For some reason I kind of remember Ghostbusters in 1987 although I was only 4! I also better remember Return of the Jedi in 1989 and Return to Oz in 1990.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Why has it taken so long for them to be shown?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they had trouble getting the rights over here. It took 20 years to show Mary Poppins. I'm just glad that their showing Disney films that aren't just CGI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I used to love Christmas TV movie premieres but it kind of lost its attraction as I got Sky in the early to mid 90's and now with being subscribed to Netflix and Amazon. Still fun though. For some reason I kind of remember Ghostbusters in 1987 although I was only 4! I also better remember Return of the Jedi in 1989 and Return to Oz in 1990.

I remember all those too. wasn't Batman shown in 1991 too? the one with Jack Nicholson?
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that this year the BBC are showing Disney's Pinocchio (1940) Cinderella (1950) and 101 Dalmations (1961) I am very happy about this as a classic Disney fan. I notice too that all of these are TV premieres and it has taken over 50/60 plus years for them to be shown o British TV. It has got me thinking about TV Christmas premieres, and how important they are in the festive schedules.

I recall the 1984 Xmas premiere on TV of Mary Poppins, also the Back to the future premiere of 1988. What other premieres can you remember being really pleased about, and are they still relevent in today's online world?

I am really surprised these are premieres as I have seen them many times as a child but didn't have them on video so I'm not sure how I watched then?!
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember all those too. wasn't Batman shown in 1991 too? the one with Jack Nicholson?

I think it was, although I had seen it on video many times about a year before, when a local Blockbuster opened, so wasn't really that excited for it. I did enjoy The BFG that year though and still have the taped video of it. Also have taped premiere recordings from 1990 of ET and Masters of the Universe.

Wow, these big movie premieres on BBC and ITV are like placeholders to remember certain years of my childhood. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansa_Snow wrote: »
    I am really surprised these are premieres as I have seen them many times as a child but didn't have them on video so I'm not sure how I watched then?!

maybe you saw re-releases in the cinema as i did. I was shocked too, but they are definitely listed as premieres. Then again clips from these films have been shown on TV for years in shows like Disneytime, so maybe it just feels like the whole film's been aired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    I think it was, although I had seen it on video many times about a year before, when a local Blockbuster opened, so wasn't really that excited for it. I did enjoy The BFG that year though and still have the taped video of it. Also have taped premiere recordings from 1990 of ET and Masters of the Universe.

Wow, these big movie premieres on BBC and ITV are like placeholders to remember certain years of my childhood. :D

I know:D The premiere of Mary Poppins on Christmas Day 1984 was the most memorable for me, I had heard all about the film from school friends so was excited to see it. It was my favourite film for about three years after, my nan taped it and most times I went to see her I would ask to watch it:p I must have driven them mad, cause I must have seen it 100 times at least.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said this on another thread but I remember going to the cinema to see the 101 Dalmatians animated film in the late 1970s - it must have been re-released back then!

Just in case any of you arent aware, there's a "Movie premieres on terrestrial tv" thread that runs all year round over on the Broadcasting forum :) . This thread contains a list of upcoming premieres on most of the Freeview/terrestrial channels and is regularly updated. Here's the link:-

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525596&page=70