Britain's oldest working TV (my arse).

12345679»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    They did. A selection of such sets are here:

http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour.html

Fascinating website :D Wonder if they'd work with a digital set top box?
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Fascinating website :D Wonder if they'd work with a digital set top box?

Yup. Either a set-top box with RF modulator or a set top box fed thru a VCR.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Aren't some of those sets just stunning?

Well I think so anyway :D

No. Every one of them is absolutely hideous.

And that's not because they are old-fashioned by today's standards. None of them would have won any design awards when they were new in the 60's or 70's either...

A box covered in cheap veneer, was just poor, lazy design.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of them are! :D

My favourite is on page 4, the Pye CT71! :D

http://www.oldtechnology.net/colour4.html#pyect71

Our first colour set looked a bit like the Tandberg CTV1-90 on that page, and like that set it too had separate base and treble controls.. It wasn't a Tandberg though - I always thought it was Ferguson but I'm now having doubts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    A box covered in cheap veneer, was just poor, lazy design.

To be fair they already cost a fortune in the electronics without adding further cost, and they were just following the "modern" trend of other household goods...
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair they already cost a fortune in the electronics without adding further cost, and they were just following the "modern" trend of other household goods...

Understood and agreed.

Hence, I just wouldn't describe them as "stunning" .
    "Functional" may be.
    Though yes, they did look harmonious next to the teak radiogram or hi-fi, and the teak furniture... :)

I always wanted one of those round white plastic TVs. Now that was "stunning" back then. Who made them?
    Forum Member
    loz wrote: »
    Understood and agreed.

Hence, I just wouldn't describe them as "stunning" .
    "Functional" may be.
    Though yes, they did look harmonious next to the teak radiogram or hi-fi, and the teak furniture... :)

I always wanted one of those round white plastic TVs. Now that was "stunning" back then. Who made them?

Several companies made the "space helmet" TVs which i think are the ones you're referring to.

The most famous example was a JVC set in orange. I think one of the most recent was a Philips set in the early 90s, which had remote and (I think) a SCART socket.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were full sized big screen sets that were round and oval , in bright colours as well. They were DECCA/KERACOLOUR and GRUNDIG I think.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    There were full sized big screen sets that were round and oval , in bright colours as well. They were DECCA/KERACOLOUR and GRUNDIG I think.

Bush made coloured TV's back in the 70's, Outrageous Orange, and Tropical Olive were two of the colours I remember - there was a bright white one as well, but I can't remember what it was called?.
    Forum Member
    Bush made coloured TV's back in the 70's, Outrageous Orange, and Tropical Olive were two of the colours I remember - there was a bright white one as well, but I can't remember what it was called?.

I bet it was so bright you would have needed sunglasses to even look at it :D
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

Remember in the 70s it would have just merged in with the Orange wallpaper. I even had an Orange Hi-Fi amp that won a design centre award (Sugden BTW anyone want an old Sugden A48 & matching tuner?)

It was the decade that style forgot.
    Forum Member

It was a black and white set, introduced in the late 60s, but it put a new spin on the term "colour TV set"!
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Remember in the 70s it would have just merged in with the Orange wallpaper. I even had an Orange Hi-Fi amp that won a design centre award (Sugden BTW anyone want an old Sugden A48 & matching tuner?)

OMG I can imagine!! :eek: I wasn't born until 1990 but have heard a lot and seen several pics of 70s house decor... am I right in thinking it was rather psychedelic and bright?
    Forum Member
    OMG I can imagine!! :eek: I wasn't born until 1990 but have heard a lot and seen several pics of 70s house decor... am I right in thinking it was rather psychedelic and bright?

Judging from old family photos, there were three types of house wallpaper in the 70s:

Orange/purple/green or similar mix of colours or:

Brown/yellow/creamy or similar

or brown/brown/brown.
    Forum Member
    Judging from old family photos, there were three types of house wallpaper in the 70s:

Orange/purple/green or similar mix of colours or:

Brown/yellow/creamy or similar

or brown/brown/brown.

They sound terrible! My friend's house had an avocado green bathroom, even when I visited there as a kid in the 90s! I presume those bathrooms were 70s-style as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »

With the advent of colour TV it was as if people had only just discovered colour itself. I think they used to turn the colour up full on the TV to match the wallpaper :D

The only time you saw a correctly adjusted set was in the showrooms and even some of them were questionable...
    Forum Member
    With the advent of colour TV it was as if people had only just discovered colour itself. I think they used to turn the colour up full on the TV to match the wallpaper :D

The only time you saw a correctly adjusted set was in the showrooms and even some of them were questionable...

Were they watchable with the colour turned up?
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    As a slight diversion I wonder what Britain's oldest japanese tv would be? Recently while looking for some details about my Sharp LCD set, I came across this on a french site.
    The set is shown working further down the page.
    http://www.retro-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9020&p=55594&hilit=sharp+801#p55594
    This shows a Sharp TRP-801 and reading the french comments it appears to date from the very early 1960s - possibly 1961. Described as "C'est un modèle 819/625, VHF & UHF datant du début des années 60", probably very advanced for the early 60s and not cheap. I don't remember seeing anything by Sharp in this country before the mid 1970s, it looks a little like a set made by "Perdio" although I doubt if the two companies had any connection.
    I wonder if they sold something similar here 50 years ago?

• ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, 40 years ago, yes-the little Sony colour set that said "COLOR" and "SOLID STATE" on them-they were 12" I think but looked just like a minaturised big set! I saw one as a kid around 1970/1 and it was switched on in the window showing the BBC2 colour trade test film with the speedboats?
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Well, 40 years ago, yes-the little Sony colour set that said "COLOR" and "SOLID STATE" on them-they were 12" I think but looked just like a minaturised big set! I saw one as a kid around 1970/1 and it was switched on in the window showing the BBC2 colour trade test film with the speedboats?

Well yes but there was no colour (officially) in Europe before 1967, the Sharp set was black and white and several years before that.