Options

Eleven - bland and boring

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Welcome to Matt Smith as the new Doctor. Though, so far I have found him to be very bland and boring. He lacks that certain charm that previous Doctors have possessed.

I know it was the first episode but he really does seem to be short of the personality that David Tennant had. I kept waiting for him to say it like he meant it, but he didn't.

Even in really life he comes across as dull. I know that even dull people can appear extremely entertaining on screen but Matt Smith didn't do this for me. It felt like Eleven was just running through the motions and his heart was not in it.

Ten has always been vibrant, sparkling and totally entrancing and I really miss that in this quiet modest Doctor.

Hopefully he will liven up a little or else I may lose interest in a series that I have enjoyed for the last 5 years.

Comments

• Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know what i find bland and boring

People thinking they need to start a new thread every time they have a random thought rather than adding to the existing torrent of topics
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    lassie wrote: »
    Hopefully he will liven up a little or else I may lose interest in a series that I have enjoyed for the last 5 years.

yeah. what a f*ckin tragedy that would be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chwast wrote: »
    yeah. what a f*ckin tragedy that would be.

that made me laugh

and for some reason I read that in the style of Marisa Tomei in "My Cousin Vinny"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that made me laugh

and for some reason I read that in the style of Marisa Tomei in "My Cousin Vinny"

Really? made me think of Nessa off gav and stace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Well, the new Doctor is many things, but "bland and boring" are not among them thankfully. I suggest the OP stick with their DVD's of the Tennant run and leave it at that.

Ta ra!
  • Options
    daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he's not this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Matt Smith as the new Doctor. Though, so far I have found him to be very bland and boring. He lacks that certain charm that previous Doctors have possessed.

I know it was the first episode but he really does seem to be short of the personality that David Tennant had. I kept waiting for him to say it like he meant it, but he didn't.

Even in really life he comes across as dull. I know that even dull people can appear extremely entertaining on screen but Matt Smith didn't do this for me. It felt like Eleven was just running through the motions and his heart was not in it.

Ten has always been vibrant, sparkling and totally entrancing and I really miss that in this quiet modest Doctor.

WTF.

*****FORUM TROLL ALERT*****
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :obut I feel he was fine , entertaining but less intense and loved his eating moment especially the bean gag , "beans are evil " comic timing without trying , the little girl was ace too and Amy Pond as well and that scary villian was so harping back to prisoner type villans (the programme "Prisoner") nice to see as well annette crosbie , my fave actress for tv , she was the poor wife in "|One foot in the Grave" she played Amy's aunt in case you dont know what I mean !

No the new dr is fine and the series , doesnt make me cry thank god , Tennant had done that alreday for five years bless !

!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's testament to the brilliance of the new Doctor that a crap-load of people will rush into this thread to say WTF??? very loudly and hammer the OP. Don't take it personally dude, but it is very silly what you're saying.

You'd probably be better off ignoring this thread people, but I bet you won't...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a troll. I'm just stating my honest opinion. I did not know what thread to post in there are so many. Although starting a new one was probably not a good idea.

I am not being nasty or showing favouritism, just giving a civil opinion. I cannot see any spark in Matt Smith's performance. I want there to be one. What is so wrong in that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a troll. I'm just stating my honest opinion. I did not know what thread to post in there are so many. Although starting a new one was probably not a good idea.

I am not being nasty or showing favouritism, just giving a civil opinion. I cannot see any spark in Matt Smith's performance. I want there to be one. What is so wrong in that.

Nothing at all :D

In fact i admire the fact that you are not just going to turn off like some other forum members. You are actually willing to watch and give him the chance to grow on you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I cannot see any spark in Matt Smith's performance.

Should have gone to Specsavers! :D

I can't believe that a self-confessed Who fan could ever say that of Matt's Doctor-ownage performance. Did you watch the right show? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Welcome to Lassie as another forum poster. Though, so far I have found her to be very bland and boring. She lacks that certain charm that previous posters have possessed.

I know it was her 2717 post but she really does seem to be short of the personality that others have. I kept waiting for her to say it like she meant it, but she didn't.

Even in really life she comes across as dull. I know that even dull people can appear extremely entertaining on forums but Lassie didn't do this for me. It felt like she was just running through the motions and her heart was not in it.

This forum has always been vibrant, sparkling and totally entrancing and I really miss that in this poster.

Hopefully she will liven up a little or else I may lose interest in a thread that I have enjoyed for the last 5 minutes.

Sorry, just a bit of fun and editing of the OP comment :D:o
  • Options
    daznov11daznov11 Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if I got it wrong but I don't understand the need for you to have your own thread. As you say a lot of threads with the same idea have been created. It is for that reason that most come to the conclusion that your either a troll or someone obsessed with creating their own forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IamSparta wrote: »
    Sorry, just a bit of fun and editing of the OP comment :D:o

Touche!;)
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the problem with your inital post is that we've only seen Matt in one episode and therefore you haven't given him enough time to settle into the roll; you're not in a position of being able to give a true opinion of him in just one episode - and nor is it fair to. David, as good as he was, took a while to settle in - even he has admtted that.

I hope you aren't an attention seeking troll and spouting off just for the hell of it and are willing to give Matt, who I believe to a good actor and great choice for the role of the Doctor, the chance he deserves :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence OP, you have every right to feel the way you do, but I beggining to tire of the repetative threads....you could have easily posted this in the main episode thread...or this one

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1240677

because chances are now that someone will start a thread lamenting all fans that don't like Matt Smith as one and in droves....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I'm going to go now, but before I do, please remember that everyone has a right to express an opinion and if they make a mistake is deserved of civility to be put right rather than treated with ridicule at best, or venom at worse.

This used to be a friendly place to come. Read back on my posts and see that I've been here before on a few occasions and never knowingly caused mischief. I would not do that then and I would not do that now.

Dear Mods, please would you merge or delete this thread as appropriate.
  • Options
    kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Even in really life he comes across as dull.

Not half as dull as you mate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't take it all to heart lassie. People are just having a bit of fun. You don't like the guy - fine. My daughter didn't like David Tennant for the longest time. She kept saying that "he just doesn't look the part", in spite of the fact that she'd only ever seen Chris Ecclestone in the role!

He might grow on you, give it time. I'm a big sad git myself though, and loved the performance immediately. Just felt he nailed it. Others weren't so sure. Never mind eh?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I'm going to go now, but before I do, please remember that everyone has a right to express an opinion and if they make a mistake is deserved of civility to be put right rather than treated with ridicule at best, or venom at worse.

This used to be a friendly place to come. Read back on my posts and see that I've been here before on a few occasions and never knowingly caused mischief. I would not do that then and I would not do that now.

Dear Mods, please would you merge or delete this thread as appropriate.

Sorry, I'm not suggesting that you are creating any mischieve....it's just that your one innocent post/thread is going to be counterargumented with ten other threads all saying that people should let go of DT.....and then belittle views like yours. So if you had posted in the main two threads, your opinion would have been seen, and the reaction that it got wouldn't have been there.

I didn't mean to sound horrible....I'm sorry...I'm just tired of the crazy threads out there
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the whole Easter episode to be an over padded pile of poo.

The whole premise was wrong from the start, from the sudden leap forward in time to the half-assed explanations at the end.

The lead was totally out of his depth in the presence of a previous Doctor, and the sidekick was a right royal pain in the bum!

Thankfully. that nice lady from One Foot In the Grave saved the whole sorry mess from its AmDram pit.

The whole laptop thing was totally unnecessary, as was the pointless shoehorning of comic book and mythical references.

I for one will not be tuning in again!:(

EDIT: Oops, sorry: that was my Jonathan Creek review!:o

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found the whole Easter episode to be an over padded pile of poo.

The whole premise was wrong from the start, from the sudden leap forward in time to the half-assed explanations at the end.

The lead was totally out of his depth in the presence of a previous Doctor, and the sidekick was a right royal pain in the bum!

Thankfully. that nice lady from One Foot In the Grave saved the whole sorry mess from its AmDram pit.

The whole laptop thing was totally unnecessary, as was the pointless shoehorning of comic book and mythical references.

I for one will not be tuning in again!:(

EDIT: Oops, sorry: that was my Jonathan Creek review!:o

:D

Hahahahahahaha! That made me wee a little bit! (Kidding). :D

I didn't much like that episode either. Luckily, two out of the three shows I was waiting for turned out really bloody well - those being Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes. On balance, I'll take Creek being a bit crap as opposed to the others!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it would be good for Doctor Who if Matt Smith was the same as David Tennant. The whole point of having a new Doctor is that he should be as different as possible to the previous one. That's what regeneration is supposed to be about. The same man but different personality, therefore I wouldn't expect Matt Smith to be the same as Tennant, I think it's good that he is different and brings something new to the programme. If we had another Tennant- like Doctor I think I'd have been bored to be honest cos good as he was, he was becoming slightly staid towards the end of his stint. Matt Smith is like a breath of fresh air. Remember all the previous Doctors have been different from their immediate predecessor, look how different Tennant was from Ecclestone. Enuff said!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your judging him on 1 hour of screen time and he was only his doctor for the last 10 minutes of the show