Options

Halo 5 - Guardians

Comments

• Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Ok, Warzone on the multiplayer mode is pretty awesome. Came second out of ten on my first go, and not played Halo multiplayer in years :p Shame such big open areas are so rare in the campaign mode though.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completed the first 2 campaign levels on legendary in 4 player co-op.
    Has been a lot of fun.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having some problems with the multiplayer, the radar is different from the older games and I find it difficult to read, being stuck with the assault rifle all the time is NOT COOL. And the game types, why did they have to remove my favourite game type big team battle?! Very surprising they'd remove one of the most popular game modes. Six game types on release is very poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I'm having some problems with the multiplayer, the radar is different from the older games and I find it difficult to read, being stuck with the assault rifle all the time is NOT COOL. And the game types, why did they have to remove my favourite game type big team battle?! Very surprising they'd remove one of the most popular game modes. Six game types on release is very poor.

In that Warzone mode, I could requisition weapons and vehicles at machines dotted about the map and also every time I spawned. Not sure how the points were earned, but I seemed to get plenty of them. Taking over one of the blue teams armories by going into the building on a ghost and running all of them over was pretty funny :D
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I've just completed level 6 and really enjoying it. Really enjoying the larger maps which have a number of ways to fight the enemy. Playing it on Heroic mode which is rather hard :p Some of the fights take a while to complete on this mode, but makes it more rewarding.

As for the lack of Chief in some missions, I'm actually enjoying it. It's nice to play the game through another characters eyes. They had to do something to keep the game fresh and I think it works.
    I agree they needed to introduce new characters (if they want to keep the series going for longer and longer) but I think 3 out of 15 missions as Chief is too low... make it more gradual! Then by Halo 8 he can just be in it for 1 mission ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bio Max wrote: »
    I agree they needed to introduce new characters (if they want to keep the series going for longer and longer) but I think 3 out of 15 missions as Chief is too low... make it more gradual! Then by Halo 8 he can just be in it for 1 mission ;)

I think this would matter to me if Master Chief actually brought anything different to the table, but both players play identically, so I don't see the difference really, but then I've always found Master Chief a really bland protagonist.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I think this would matter to me if Master Chief actually brought anything different to the table, but both players play identically, so I don't see the difference really, but then I've always found Master Chief a really bland protagonist.

they might play identically - but having played so long as Chief I'm 'loyal' towards him - I care about his story. So playing as others just feels wrong. Halo is Chief's story for me.
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss split screen co-op.

I think it's a huge mistake not including it.
  • Options
    NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being new around these parts I am playing through the master chief collection before getting Halo 5. Still on Halo 1 in the library......
    Love the look of 5, hopefully the multiplayer will be the first to really grab me since battlefield 4.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DS review is pretty spot on. All in all, it's ok, but it's nothing to write home about. The campaigns story is the usual cluster**** of BS I've grown to associate with Halo games. Most of the level designs are pretty dull graphically, it's the usual ship interiors with occasional windows out to epic skylines you can't reach, and the levels are pretty linear too (so far).

Like COD campaigns , the emphasis is on constant action, so you'll be running through levels at breakneck speed, and probably won't know what the **** is going on most of the time, whilst everything explodes and dies around you. If you like that kind of gameplay, then you'll probably like this.

The combat itself feels pretty sharp, though the enemies like to dance about, which makes shooting them when you're drunk a pain in the arse :p Some of the weapons are interesting too, they seem to strip themselves down when you zoom in, for no good reason I can think of, other than some designer probably thought it looked cool.

I'd say overall, this is about as sophisticated a storytelling exercise as a gears of war game- possibly worse, and is almost certainly aiming for the younger teen bracket, so don't expect too much at all if you're used to games like Mass Effect, which can actually manage to engage you in a decent story, because you just won't get that at all. It's more your sort of run in and gun everything down, while people talk gibberish in the background you don't care about- like all Halo games really. It wishes it was Mass Effect, just like Destiny wished it was Mass Effect, but both fail to inspire.

This has been my gripe about the way HALO has been heading over more recent releases. HALO CE was a proper story with lots of free-roaming, but since then it has moved more toward the COD model, which doesn't do much for me. So I may give this a miss.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    No, it's online co-op only.

Thanks

I miss split screen co-op.

I think it's a huge mistake not including it.

I agree. I've played all the halo games so far co op split screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Thanks

I agree. I've played all the halo games so far co op split screen.

Any idea what their reason for excluding it was?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any idea what their reason for excluding it was?

It's usually for technical reasons. Generating that much data on one machine takes up a lot more resources.
  • Options
    He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Digitalspys game reviews have been a focus of mockery amongst my circle of friends lately but i would agree with a 3 out of 5 on this occasion. However, i actually think the campaign is pretty good and i'm enjoying both the storyline and game play a lot. My issues are with multiplayer...

Multiplayer is a different beast all together. I really can't get to grips with playing a multiplayer mode that sees me seemingly pump a zillion bullets into an enemy without so much as a wince before i'm put down in seconds with a few short bursts.
    I've been on the official forums and been met with a chorus of 'get gud' which i'm not buying. The game needs to be easily accessible to new players and Halo simply isn't, and then people wonder why the player base suddenly drops a few weeks after launch. Warzone seems like a fun game mode but i find the maps too big and spend most of my time running around like a headless chicken.

Maybe i was overwhelmed by just how easily accessible Starwars BF was to new players with the sense of achievement even when you don't play all that great. I find Halo MP a tad annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    Digitalspys game reviews have been a focus of mockery amongst my circle of friends lately but i would agree with a 3 out of 5 on this occasion. However, i actually think the campaign is pretty good and i'm enjoying both the storyline and game play a lot. My issues are with multiplayer...

Multiplayer is a different beast all together. I really can't get to grips with playing a multiplayer mode that sees me seemingly pump a zillion bullets into an enemy without so much as a wince before i'm put down in seconds with a few short bursts.
    I've been on the official forums and been met with a chorus of 'get gud' which i'm not buying. The game needs to be easily accessible to new players and Halo simply isn't, and then people wonder why the player base suddenly drops a few weeks after launch. Warzone seems like a fun game mode but i find the maps too big and spend most of my time running around like a headless chicken.

Maybe i was overwhelmed by just how easily accessible Starwars BF was to new players with the sense of achievement even when you don't play all that great. I find Halo MP a tad annoying.

Yes, I agree with this, though I've noticed something strange. When my connection was good, this never happened and I did really well, but when the game was lagging, it seemed this happened all the time- i.e. I would shoot an enemy for days and not kill them, then suddenly die instantly. I think it could be a connection issue, though I'm annoyed about that because I have 80mb/s fibre optic, so it really shouldn't be lagging ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The storyline for the campaign is actually really good! Love the ending and how it sets up Halo 6. Just a shame you can't split screen play it.
  • Options
    sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    This has been my gripe about the way HALO has been heading over more recent releases. HALO CE was a proper story with lots of free-roaming, but since then it has moved more toward the COD model, which doesn't do much for me. So I may give this a miss.

Yeah I agree I'd not played the Halo series until recently after getting an XB1 mostly because I'd always been impressed by Halo's graphics and all that and I'd not played it before. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the first 3 games(Halo1-3 I was somewhat disappointed with 4. Not so much because of the story but because of the level design and the fact that it was all running and gunning and it all felt a little too COD to me. This new one looks like it's a bit like that too so I too will likely give it a miss. Like you I think Bungie had it right in that at least it felt more tasctical and moer manageable which is a good thing because with my disability I like to try to out think my enemy than try to outfight him. Because moer often than not by doing things that way I will lose.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    It's usually for technical reasons. Generating that much data on one machine takes up a lot more resources.

I think the official excuse was that they would not be able to maintain 60fps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to bring split screen back for Halo 6.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I agree I'd not played the Halo series until recently after getting an XB1 mostly because I'd always been impressed by Halo's graphics and all that and I'd not played it before. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the first 3 games(Halo1-3 I was somewhat disappointed with 4. Not so much because of the story but because of the level design and the fact that it was all running and gunning and it all felt a little too COD to me. This new one looks like it's a bit like that too so I too will likely give it a miss. Like you I think Bungie had it right in that at least it felt more tasctical and moer manageable which is a good thing because with my disability I like to try to out think my enemy than try to outfight him. Because moer often than not by doing things that way I will lose.

I actually find Halo 5 more tactical than the previous games. As the levels are larger, with more ways to approach the enemy it gives you more of an opportunity to plan your attack. You can go straight in all guns blazing, or sneak around the sides and take them out from the shadows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I actually find Halo 5 more tactical than the previous games. As the levels are larger, with more ways to approach the enemy it gives you more of an opportunity to plan your attack. You can go straight in all guns blazing, or sneak around the sides and take them out from the shadows.

That's odd. I actually found the levels were smaller than in previous games. There's a couple of relatively open areas, but nothing on the scale I'd seen in older games. I kept waiting for it too, so I was a bit disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've just finished it on Heroic and rather enjoyed it. It's the first Halo in years where I actually was interested in the story. I think it was a wise decision to move away from the Chief for the most part. I always find him to be rather bland. So having all these other characters added to it.

Story spoilers follow:
    I think having Cortana as the main enemy was a great twist in the game. And with the way it ended up her taking out most of Earth's space defenses just make me want to find out what happens next. Which is a lot more than can be said about previous Halo games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's odd. I actually found the levels were smaller than in previous games. There's a couple of relatively open areas, but nothing on the scale I'd seen in older games. I kept waiting for it too, so I was a bit disappointed.

I always found most the other games had you wandering around in ships or bases that was just endless corridors and the large outdoor sections where mainly designed for vehicles. This had a lot of larger spaces to jump around in and work your way round on foot I thought.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found most the other games had you wandering around in ships or bases that was just endless corridors and the large outdoor sections where mainly designed for vehicles. This had a lot of larger spaces to jump around in and work your way round on foot I thought.

I agree.
    We're currently working through this on Legendary with 4 player co-op. We're on the final level now but there were quite a few levels that we were able to flank enemies by using the entire width of the maps and using alternate routes. Felt a lot more tactical.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    There's some Halo film on SyFy tonight at 23:50, Foward Unto Dawn. Guessing its something to do with the game