Actors who play the same person in every film

Comments

• nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Cruise. It's not the roles he plays as they can be quite different but every time I see him in a film (which isn't for long as I can't stand him), I think "oh that's TC acting". He just doesn't convey the character he plays - he's just Tom Cruise
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    EVERY time?

Cursed fish man in Pirates of the Carribean, ancient vampire overlord in various Underworld films, stoner rabbit in The Magic Roundabout, flamboyant dj in The Boat that Rocked, two headed giant in Jack the Giant slayer, rat thug in Flushed Away...

I can't help but think that if you dropped any of those characters into About Time someone would, literally, notice. :D

Someones taking this thread a bit too seriously. Obviously every single person named in this thread DOES play different roles in every film. Is he your dad ?
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: I'd say there's quite a gap between Batman and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou...

My pick would be Owen Wilson.

Are you serious? He hardly immersed himself into the role of Batman and just played himself as always.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise. It's not the roles he plays as they can be quite different but every time I see him in a film (which isn't for long as I can't stand him), I think "oh that's TC acting". He just doesn't convey the character he plays - he's just Tom Cruise

I used to think that until I saw Interview With the Vampire. He was superb in that.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    steven segal is a fine actor of impeccable characterisation ,his range is sweeping and majestic ,, full of subtle nuances and ,,,,,, and ,,,,,, and ,,,,, sorry i cant keep this up any longer ,,,, laughing too much :)

The OP asked for actors, not lumps of seasoned timber.
  • Egg slicerEgg slicer Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    How dare you?!:o>:(:D

Bruce Willis?

Willis is versatile, Twelve Monkeys he was top class, great film.

Colin Firth has to be the most blatent one, same dithering character every film ive seen him in.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linda lovelace ,lucy badcock , john holmes , traci lords , jenna jameson , ron jeremy :)
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orlando Bloom and Sam Worthington are two of the biggest charisma vacuums in Hollywood.

But IMO, I think it works both ways. There are also actors who are extremely charismatic but can only act within their own personalities eg. Cary Grant and George Clooney. Or even the likes of Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman. You wouldn't call them great actors with range, but they are good at what they do.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised I'm the only one who has mentioned Mr. Vince Vaughan. He plays Vince Vaughan in every movie he appears in.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Wayne I can see, although it's not a criticism. He's brilliant in Red River, The Searchers, True Grit, etc. I'd add Clint Eastwood...and I love a lot of his stuff. I guess if you've got a very strong persona, it feels like they're playing variations on the same sort of role. well...they are! That's cool if you play it well.

Gervais, yeah....think he'd be the first to admit it! :)
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Wayne I can see, although it's not a criticism. He's brilliant in Red River, The Searchers, True Grit, etc. I'd add Clint Eastwood...and I love a lot of his stuff. I guess if you've got a very strong persona, it feels like they're playing variations on the same sort of role. well...they are! That's cool if you play it well.

Gervais, yeah....think he'd be the first to admit it! :)

your right , not all actors get any creative freedom ,

once they become a bankable star in a particular genre ,,,,,,,,,,, they become exactly that , a cash cow

jackie chan isn't doing hamlet anytime soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Nicholson.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Jack Nicholson.

yeah I must say, seeing him in king of the marvin gardens then watching him as the Joker in Batman, it was like watching the exact same character :D
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Jack Nicholson.

Now we are just being stupid.

'Easy Rider'
    'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest'
    'The Shining'
    'Chinatown'
    'Batman'
    'The Pledge'
    'The Passenger'
    'Reds'
    'The Departed'

Yeah, same every time!?!
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Egg slicer wrote: »
    Willis is versatile, Twelve Monkeys he was top class, great film.

You might also consider Willis in 'The Sixth Sense', 'Unbreakable',
    'Surrogates', 'Looper', 'Pulp Fiction', 'Moonrise Kingdom', 'The Jackal'.....
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orlando Bloom and Sam Worthington are two of the biggest charisma vacuums in Hollywood.

But IMO, I think it works both ways. There are also actors who are extremely charismatic but can only act within their own personalities eg. Cary Grant and George Clooney. Or even the likes of Samuel L Jackson and Morgan Freeman. You wouldn't call them great actors with range, but they are good at what they do.

Yeah. I can't remember who said this, it could have been Barry Norman, but he said that was basically the difference between an actor and a movie star. A movie star might not be the greatest actor in the world, but the audience want to see them. Their charisma is key.
  • ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin Spacey.
  • Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting how a lot of top bill actors seem to be one character actors.
    And the more transformative actors seem to often be supporting actors.
    For example Phillip Seymour Hoffman usually played supporting roles. All of his Oscar nominations apart from Capote were for supporting roles. And he was a truly versatile actor.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    For the past couple of decades John Travolta ha played every villain the same. See: The Taking Of Pelham 123, The Punisher, Swordfish, Face/Off, Broken Arrow etc...
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Dyer
    Michael "one face expression" Caine
    Emma Thompson
    Audrey Hepburn
    Jennifer Aniston
    Jim Carrey
    Adam Sandler
    Barbra Streisand
    Jim Broadbent
    Judy Garland (big fan though but she did do this a lot but did do very different roles in her later career)

No way, she's one the Britains best actresses IMO.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Yeah. I can't remember who said this, it could have been Barry Norman, but he said that was basically the difference between an actor and a movie star. A movie star might not be the greatest actor in the world, but the audience want to see them. Their charisma is key.

Very much so. Also there are a number of smaller character actors (and not just A list movie stars) who find a niche in playing the same thing over and over again in different films.
  • Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Liotta.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benedict Cumberbatch.
  • TbellTbell Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch.

See, I think this is another case of being cast in similar roles - he was brilliant as Stephen Hawking, and quite different in August Osage County, so I think the versatility is there.
  • year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Al pacino shout shout shout.