Child Tax Credits stopped and demand for 4k overpayment

2»

Comments

• The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your disabled wife goes to work, your disabled son goes to childcare...and you do what exactly? Go to the pub?

Do housework same as any regular housewife does. My son only attends 2 days a week so the rest of the week I look after him myself all day. But having a mental illness I need those two days to give me a break and a rest as looking after a disabled child when you have anxiety and depression issues is a major handful.

I've asked for advice on my tax dilemma, not asked to be judged on my personal circumstances. If I wanted advice on that I would have asked for it.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Do housework same as any regular housewife does. My son only attends 2 days a week so the rest of the week I look after him myself all day. But having a mental illness I need those two days to give me a break and a rest as looking after a disabled child when you have anxiety and depression issues is a major handful.

I've asked for advice on my tax dilemma, not asked to be judged on my personal circumstances. If I wanted advice on that I would have asked for it.

Most housewives also look after the kids fulltime, you can't even manage that. There is only so much housework you can do.

You're one of the most judgemental folks on here, so when you continually whinge and put your private life out there, people will comment. You seem like a poor excuse for a man. Grow a pair, get control of your life, get a job and look after your kid. You're always banging on how you're a carer to your disabled wife and kid, when in reality she provides for you and you're only a part time Dad.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most housewives also look after the kids fulltime, you can't even manage that. There is only so much housework you can do.

You're one of the most judgemental folks on here, so when you continually whinge and put your private life out there, people will comment. You seem like a poor excuse for a man. Grow a pair, get control of your life, get a job and look after your kid. You're always banging on how you're a carer to your disabled wife and kid, when in reality she provides for you and you're only a part time Dad.

You clearly don't undrstand how it works do you? If I went out to work who's gonna look after my child? I'd have to pay for full time childcare myself out of my earnings which would mean I'd be out working just so all my wages can go on childcare. I'd be working for nothing and I'd be a lot worse off than we are now.

Believe me I'd like nothing more than to work and not have a mental illness that gets me down every day and I'd love to not have to rely on these tax credits but as soon as I get a job all our benefits will stop and I'll have to pay for my son's nursery fees out of my own pocket leaving me with less money coming in than I'm paying out. We would be bankrupt in no time and can you imagine what that would do for my anxiety and depression?

Anyway as I said, this has nothing to do with my question and if I wanted you to pass judgement on my parenting abilities I would have asked so if you're not prepared to offer advice on my situation then I'd appreciate if you didn't try to take the thread off topic. Do you actually have anything constructive to offer re my situation or did you just come on here to slag me off?
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    You clearly don't undrstand how it works do you? If I went out to work who's gonna look after my child? I'd have to pay for full time childcare myself out of my earnings which would mean I'd be out working just so all my wages can go on childcare. I'd be working for nothing and I'd be a lot worse off than we are now.

Believe me I'd like nothing more than to work and not have a mental illness that gets me down every day and I'd love to not have to rely on these tax credits but as soon as I get a job all our benefits will stop and I'll have to pay for my son's nursery fees out of my own pocket leaving me with less money coming in than I'm paying out. We would be bankrupt in no time and can you imagine what that would do for my anxiety and depression?

Anyway as I said, this has nothing to do with my question and if I wanted you to pass judgement on my parenting abilities I would have asked so if you're not prepared to offer advice on my situation then I'd appreciate if you didn't try to take the thread off topic. Do you actually have anything constructive to offer re my situation or did you just come on here to slag me off?

Welcome to the real world, this is many many peoples lives, most of their wages going towards childcare. I'm interested to know what care you give you your disabled wife and son. You bang on and on about the care you give them, they both have Dwarfism yes? What care do they rely on you for? (Genuine question)
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant really offer much advice other than maybe try and speak to someone else at HMRC.... although I loathe the Tax Credits System, many of the people we had to speak to were quite helpfull and understanding and maybe once in a while I would get someone really knowledgable and helpful. I assume that they have a high staff turnover so very few people learn the full system and how it works.... yet if you can find that staff member thats been there a while, they will know how to get around the system to help.

Good luck.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wizard, are you already claiming the free childcare (which I think works out at 15 hours per week in term times)? If not then you should as this would cover the costs for the majority of your sons 2 days a week.

Also is he able to start reception school when he turns 4 as you won't have to pay any childcare at all then!
  • AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could pull him out of nursery and look after him myself but the overpayment will still stand and be clawed back out of whatever they've awarded us so that isn't really the issue. They can't deny us money for childcare at this point in time as I've supplied evidence of it so they have to pay it. It's the 4k payments from last tax year that's gonna cause an issue which will still be taken from our award regardless of whether he attends nursery now or not so pulling him out of childcare wouldn't make us any better off.

Deleted. Already answered.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

It's called life
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Wizard, are you already claiming the free childcare (which I think works out at 15 hours per week in term times)? If not then you should as this would cover the costs for the majority of your sons 2 days a week.

Also is he able to start reception school when he turns 4 as you won't have to pay any childcare at all then!
    This is true. There's no need to depend on benefits in this case
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's what happens for a lot of people. Large chunk of wages goes into childcare. But I completely understand why you need a break. Suffering from depression and anxiety and looking after a disabled child probably don't help your stress levels. You need some me time. Probably helps your son out too as he will get to mix with children his age.
  • stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on a few of his past threads The Wizard clearly states how working would not be beneficial to him as the benefits they receive, pay more.

i wasnt aware that you could be carer and receive carers allowance for others ie his wife and child yet still calim benefits yourself ?

i shudder to think of the amount of money the family must be receiving in benefits one of his past threads did state the amounts of all the various benefits they claim.

is this working tax credits or child tax credits the op has the problem with now ?

so many benefits all one huge bafflement for me . :(:(:(:(:(:(
    Forum Member
    stargirl 2 wrote: »
    on a few of his past threads The Wizard clearly states how working would not be beneficial to him as the benefits they receive, pay more.

i wasnt aware that you could be carer and receive carers allowance for others ie his wife and child yet still calim benefits yourself ?

i shudder to think of the amount of money the family must be receiving in benefits one of his past threads did state the amounts of all the various benefits they claim.

is this working tax credits or child tax credits the op has the problem with now ?

so many benefits all one huge bafflement for me . :(:(:(:(:(:(

I clearly remember reading a post of his actually bragging how much they receive and how he doesn't need to work, but saying that he is a mass of contradictions, who knows what is true with him. One week he's poor, the next his wife earns a brilliant wage. I don't know what he does to 'care' for his wife and child, as far as I am aware Dwarfism doesn't require a great deal of care does it? I know a girl with dwarfism and she has always lead a very full and active life, albeit with a few adaptations. Wizard makes out as though they need full time care.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because after next year we fail to qualify as he will be 5 and at school (free) so all CTC stops and we will no longer qualify for them so they can demand payment in full as they will no longer be able to deduct them from our award as there wont be any award to be had because after my son starts school he no longer qualifies for help towards his care.
    But if that happens, can't you still work out a plan to make the repayments? I would imagine you could as it's obvious that not everyone - especially those claiming benefits - wouldn't have have thousands of pounds to hand to make such a payment.
    Ber wrote: »

Free childcare?! That's a first I've heard of it! :) The OP said that his child starts school next year.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »

Free childcare?! That's a first I've heard of it! :) The OP said that his child starts school next year.

Yep. I only found out about it when my son started nursery last year. He is only 2 now but once he hits 3 I'll be saving £200 a month from the £800 I currently pay :D
    . All 3 and 4-year-olds in England are entitled to 570 hours of free early education or childcare a year. This is often taken as 15 hours each week for 38 weeks of the year. Some 2-year-olds are also eligible

Apparently you can spread the hours out over 50 weeks too, which is handy for working parents.

https://www.gov.uk/free-early-education
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I clearly remember reading a post of his actually bragging how much they receive and how he doesn't need to work, but saying that he is a mass of contradictions, who knows what is true with him. One week he's poor, the next his wife earns a brilliant wage. I don't know what he does to 'care' for his wife and child, as far as I am aware Dwarfism doesn't require a great deal of care does it? I know a girl with dwarfism and she has always lead a very full and active life, albeit with a few adaptations. Wizard makes out as though they need full time care.

Wizard is just doing what he always does, baiting
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »

True. Sad man.
  • roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incest more time in pub quizzes. A tenner a week winnings is £5200 p.a, so you will pay that back in no time.

thats not the answer:o
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »

I thought his wife was a teacher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Put your life on an open forum, people are going to comment.

I did offer something constructive, get a job, stop relying on disabled folk to look after you and most of all get some self respect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »

True!
    Forum Member
    evie71 wrote: »
    I thought his wife was a teacher.

Not sure but I have read various posts in the past stating his wife earns a good wage, then they are only on minimum wage and they need the benefits to live, then they are quite well off, then they they only just manage. Then they are off on a cruise. Who knows what is true. :confused: