Can I sell my mobile while in contract

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
Forum Member
Hi,

I currently have a 2 year contact with T-Mobile which I got through Car Phone Warehouse and have about 18 months left of the contract to run.

I am thinking about upgrading my phone, to a better model, and was wondering, is it ok to sell my mobile I got with the contract.

Thanks.

Comments

• Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devils Dog wrote: »
    Hi,

I currently have a 2 year contact with T-Mobile which I got through Car Phone Warehouse and have about 18 months left of the contract to run.

I am thinking about upgrading my phone, to a better model, and was wondering, is it ok to sell my mobile I got with the contract.

Thanks.

yes there is nothing stopping you from doing it providing you still keep paying for the contract.!

They would not care less unlesss they stopped getting their contract money! I have done it a few times with Mazuma Mobile,other companies however are available.;-)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Yes of course you can.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Six months in and you're prepared to forfeit 18 months charges and pay a new contract to get a "better" phone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Six months in and you're prepared to forfeit 18 months charges and pay a new contract to get a "better" phone?

Not getting another contract, was going to buy the phone and use the sim I got with the contract.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not getting another contract, was going to buy the phone and use the sim I got with the contract.

Yes, I've done it before but you have to do the numbers to see if it is really worth it.

If you do sell the phone just make sure the buyer knows if it is network locked.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ive done this several times over the course of a contract before.

Contract bought with Galaxy S4 (i think)

Sold that and bought a Note3
    Sold the Note3 and bought a Xperia Z2
    Sold the Z2 and bought a S5.

I should really go SIM Only - but when I started the contract I was using a lot of data and the SIM only deals didn't do as much as I needed (except Three of course - but have been bitten by them once before).

If you do sell, then don't be tempted to sell on privately and then claim on any insurance yo may have. People do get caught doing that and you don't want an insurance related record against your name - House insurance, car insurance etc can then become VERY hard to get.

I sold onto the likes of Game, Mazuma, Asda tech trade in - Whoever gave the best price at the time. The times I swapped phones, once the old phone was sold on, it cost me £100 to £200 for the 'upgrade'. The key is to sell high and buy new handset as cheap as you can.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, out of curiosity, how much will you forfeit over the 18 months and what benefits will the new phone have that will outweigh the forfeit?
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Ok, out of curiosity, how much will you forfeit over the 18 months and what benefits will the new phone have that will outweigh the forfeit?

They won't forfeit anything as they will still be using the contract sim with a new phone. Surely?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    They won't forfeit anything as they will still be using the contract sim with a new phone. Surely?

But the cost of the phone will have been built into the contract so depending on how much they get by selling it they will lose out. I pay £37 a month for my phone contract, about £25 of which is the phone.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the cost of the phone will have been built into the contract so depending on how much they get by selling it they will lose out. I pay £37 a month for my phone contract, about £25 of which is the phone.
    That was my first thought.

When you take out a contract with a high-end handset, the cost of the handset could account for 80% of the monthly payment. In the OP's scenario, even if he sells it, he's still got to pay off the cost of the handset he's selling - one way or another, to the satisfaction of the network provider - whilst still paying for a new handset. It's like any higher purchase agreement. Selling the thing you've got on loan doesn't mean the payments stop.