Options

Kill signal when canceling sub

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
Forum Member
✭✭
When the 30 days are up if I take the card out of the box before the kill signal hits it, is it possible to keep the card alive if I only insert it when watching telly but take it out when not watching? I have the new white card.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the 30 days are up if I take the card out of the box before the kill signal hits it, is it possible to keep the card alive if I only insert it when watching telly but take it out when not watching? I have the new white card.

the card will still work, it'll just take 72 hours to 'wake up' or are you hoping that it will have missed the kill signal, and you'll still be receiving the channels you previously subscribed to if the card missed the kill signal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingledee wrote: »
    the card will still work, it'll just take 72 hours to 'wake up' or are you hoping that it will have missed the kill signal, and you'll still be receiving the channels you previously subscribed to if the card missed the kill signal

I'm hoping to still view the channels after the 30 day notice period is up:o
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    No! The kill signals are repeated, at decreasing rates, more or less for ever! You may miss them for a few days by being careful - but they will eventually catch you out!
  • Options
    Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you try to view a subscription channel, the box will check your account based on the card in the box. If the account says you don't subscribe to the channel, the box won't let you view the channel.

The only change made to the card itself is its ability to record if it was previously in a Sky+ box and was linked to a Sky TV subscription. The account details are checked each time you try to watch a subscription channel. Removing the card from the box achieves nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only change made to the card itself is its ability to record if it was previously in a Sky+ box and was linked to a Sky TV subscription. The account details are checked each time you try to watch a subscription channel. Removing the card from the box achieves nothing.
    This just isn't true! If the smartcard is out of the STB it cannot receive "kill" comands (or "changes to account" in your terms!).

Last time I cancelled Sky Movies it took 2 weeks for them to be finally disabled on my smartcard.....as I was interested to see how long I could delay their demise!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it true?? is my sky box as much use as a chocolate fire-guard? just a huge paper weight? :eek:

i awake this morning to "no satellite signal is being received" so i reboot system ... same message! run to the oracle of DS have a quick read, remove blue card, reboot ... same message!

has it gone? am i only left with my freeview box?? :(
  • Options
    amarkramarkr Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    It may not be the box- check the connection from the dish and also check the dish is still where you left it given the recent weather!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sky dont send kill signals as such - instead the cards receives "stay alive" signals - once the card misses those it will expire no matter how careful you are with it.

Ifr you are hoping for months of free telly forget it.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

<snigger> You have no Bob Hope,sorry !
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it true?? is my sky box as much use as a chocolate fire-guard? just a huge paper weight? :eek:

i awake this morning to "no satellite signal is being received" so i reboot system ... same message! run to the oracle of DS have a quick read, remove blue card, reboot ... same message!

has it gone? am i only left with my freeview box?? :(

Do you subscribe ?

What are your signal levels ?

Which box do you have ?

Why didn't you start your own thread :) ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky dont send kill signals as such - instead the cards receives "stay alive" signals - once the card misses those it will expire no matter how careful you are with it.
    Wrong! Kill signals are very much sent - and are the main ways cards get disabled. Keepalive commands are valid for several weeks and would be useless for subscription control!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    amarkr wrote: »
    It may not be the box- check the connection from the dish and also check the dish is still where you left it given the recent weather!

Correct - even when the card dies, you should go on getting the 200-or so free-to-air channels without even needing to insert it, unless (as has happened to me) your dish has been blown out of alignment by all these storms! It only takes a fraction of a degree to take certain channels out and a fraction more to get no signal at all.

The 'no satellite signal is being received' is exactly what it says - there's nothing coming down the line to the box because either said line or the dish and LNB at the other end of it have been damaged or misaligned. Card issues will usually prompt the message 'Please insert your Sky viewing card' on selected subscription or free-to-view channels.

On my street everyone has a 28.2 dish and a few have secondary dishes pointed at Asian and ME sats - it was fairly easy to ascertain the problem as mine was suddenly facing in completely the opposite direction! if you can't see the dish or it looks OK from the ground do Services - 4 - 6 and check Signal Strength and Signal Quality - anyhting below about 40% and it's time to crack out the Yellow Pages...
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Wrong! Kill signals are very much sent - and are the main ways cards get disabled. Keepalive commands are valid for several weeks and would be useless for subscription control!

Wrong they are not "kill signals" as such - they are changes to the "entitlement date", which if missed will merely extend the life of the card for a few weeks, but to miss them the card would have to be out of the box for a few weeks so basically very little net gain.
  • Options
    alex_tsalex_ts Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ifr you are hoping for months of free telly forget it.

This is just the way it is, you're right!