Options

The casual use of the word rape!

Comments

• Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Yeah, but dictionary definitions reflect usage - all that says is that people have used it to mean that in the past, it's not a defence, really!

Obviously in the past the context was different - there's The Rape Of The Lock and all that - because, I think, that was the primary meaning. The sex offence didn't really get talked about much.

It is a defence. I remember Jeff Goldblum using it in Jurassic Park (Kid's film) when describing discovery as "...rape of the natural world"
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    It is a defence. I remember Jeff Goldblum using it in Jurassic Park (Kid's film) when describing discovery as "...rape of the natural world"

And I bet it went over every childs head who watched it
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    What an incredibly stupid thread.

I sometimes wonder how some people keep track of all the things they have to remember to get offended about these days. Do you think there's a market for some kind of app to help them do so?

I've just noticed that the band playing at this pub tomorrow night is called the Bipolar Bears. To whom should I address my outrage about this casual use of a mentalist phrase?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casual use of the word rape is crass and sounds nasty.
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Is it? Is it really?

Ummm... Its stupid to compare the two; its a bit like debating whether cancer is worse than aids.

But yes I would say murder is worse than rape. Doesn't make the latter any better though.

This is a stupid thread.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder how some people keep track of all the things they have to remember to get offended about these days. Do you think there's a market for some kind of app to help them do so?

I've just noticed that the band playing at this pub tomorrow night is called the Bipolar Bears. To whom should I address my outrage about this casual use of a mentalist phrase?
    If you actually give a crap about not hurting people, it's not that hard to remember what hurts people.

Also, you mean "ableist". "Mentalist" is ableist too ;)
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

No outrage on this thread.

Just pointing out that stupid words are stupid.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody who has any respect for the female gender would not be throwing that word around in such as casual manner.
    Can't see it mentioned so far, so I'll add that that a lot of my wife's friends often post on Facebook that they have been "Fraped"*.

Seeing as how most of these friends are women I would assume they have respect for the female gender, which makes your statement a little dodgy.

*A shortening of "Facebook Raped" which means someone got into your account, often because you left it signed on, and posted silly statements.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Can't see it mentioned so far, so I'll add that that a lot of my wife's friends often post on Facebook that they have been "Fraped"*.

Seeing as how most of these friends are women I would assume they have respect for the female gender, which makes your statement a little dodgy.

*A shortening of "Facebook Raped" which means someone got into your account, often because you left it signed on, and posted silly statements.

Women are often more disrespectful to their own sex than men so it wouldn't surprise me that many of your wife's female friends quite happily disabuse the crime of rape by using it to describe their facebook page being hijacked.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like calling police when someone says I will kill him..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    If you actually give a crap about not hurting people, it's not that hard to remember what hurts people.

Also, you mean "ableist". "Mentalist" is ableist too ;)

Jesus, talk about making my point for me.:rolleyes:

Oh wait, is casual use of the word 'Jesus' not offending someone's religious sensibilities? Well, hush ma mouth.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Basically if you're not describing the most serious sort of sexual assault using "rape" in any other context is a bad idea

People can drone on as long as they like about original meanings and the like, but the word now is so associated with a specific type of horrific crime, it's best limited to that definition only.

There are plenty of other words one can use to describe things that "rape" shouldn't be used for.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Depends in which context the word itself is used though the word is not offensive.

"The beauty of the countryside has been raped by excessive development...".

I have no problem with the word being used in that context either, destruction of the natural environment is quite a serious thing.

Saying 'my wallet has been raped' doesn't work somehow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically if you're not describing the most serious sort of sexual assault using "rape" in any other context is a bad idea

People can drone on as long as they like about original meanings and the like, but the word now is so associated with a specific type of horrific crime, it's best limited to that definition only.

There are plenty of other words one can use to describe things that "rape" shouldn't be used for.
    towers wrote: »
    I have no problem with the word being used in that context either, destruction of the natural environment is quite a serious thing.

Saying 'my wallet has been raped' doesn't work somehow.

Indeed, good posts.

I guess this is like the N word....some people don't - and never will - understand the nuanced arguments around word usage.

I wouldn't call the police, or become "outraged" over someone saying 'my wallet has been raped' or 'I've been fraped', but I would treat them as the ignorant fools that they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose appealing to the lowest common denominator is always easiest. Your post reads like an internal council memo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    Get real .. we all know exactly what it means and I find it offensive!

Get real yourself, with a dictionary. That'll help.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    It's like calling police when someone says I will kill him..

What is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then there was that time at the pub quiz that I said I was taking a stab in the dark on that question...
  • Options
    NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its pretty simple really

The word rape used in any metaphoric context true to its traditional use, such as describing a catastrophic or disastrous event such rape of the amazon forest is acceptable. As is, obviously, use of the word to describe the sexual crime of rape

Use of the word in a metaphoric context to include over exaggeration for effect,or thinking youre being cool, or referring to modern technology is in territory likely to offend someone not in your crew.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    I think its pretty simple really

The word rape used in any metaphoric context true to its traditional use, such as describing a catastrophic or disastrous event such rape of the amazon forest is acceptable. As is, obviously, use of the word to describe the sexual crime of rape

Use of the word in a metaphoric context to include over exaggeration for effect,or thinking youre being cool, or referring to modern technology is in territory likely to offend someone not in your crew.

Well. I take exception to your casual use of the word 'crew'. Us mariners understand it to mean a tight-knit professional group of sailors prepared to lay down their lives for each other. The casual of the term to describe a gang of feckless chavs is most offensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then there was that time at the pub quiz that I said I was taking a stab in the dark on that question...

So when angry you'd say "I could kill her for saying that", would you also be comfortable to say "I could rape her for saying that?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Is it? Is it really?

It's harder to recover from being murdered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear it all the time. As I said in the other thread it usually relates to feeling financially ripped off, the exact term being "just had my arsehole raped".

I can not say I flinch at all when I hear it, maybe de-sensitised to it.

Quite common to hear the casual use of it round here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kaiserbee wrote: »
    So when angry you'd say "I could kill her for saying that", would you also be comfortable to say "I could rape her for saying that?"

Personally, I wouldn't say either but that's not what is under discussion, is it? The OP didn't use the word 'rape' in the context of expressing a desire to perform the act on someone so Christ knows why you're mentioning it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hear it all the time. As I said in the other thread it usually relates to feeling financially ripped off, the exact term being "just had my arsehole raped".

I can not say I flinch at all when I hear it, maybe de-sensitised to it.

Quite common to hear the casual use of it round here.

I don't hear it used colloquially that often but I certainly don't find it offensive in a casual context. At work, If we make a bad deal, it's not unusual to say that 'we got raped on that one'. It certainly wouldn't raise any eyebrows. That's what I find so absurd about this whole thread.
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    I suppose appealing to the lowest common denominator is always easiest. Your post reads like an internal council memo.

Oh, you are DARK!