BBC Four has picked up Parks and Recreation

Comments

• AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    I first caught this on the entertainment system on a plane flight (its amazing how many good US shows you can discover for the first time on transatlantic flights!) and since then have watched a couple more episodes on hulu. Its a decent show and will be nice to have the chance to watch it from the start on BBC4. Like in the US though, i don't think it will do well ratings wise here either.

If it does do ok then maybe BBC4 might look at obtaining Louie?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

Perhaps not, I don't know who own distribution rights to Louie, but if its Louis CK, they might have trouble picking it up, and the BBC has a troubled relationship with Fox (Ranging from verbal spars between Murdoch and the Beeb to Fox's refusal to sell iPlayer rights to the BBC)
  • kwaku_agkwaku_ag Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    I actually wrote a blog, stating 5 reasons, why Parks & Rec should be shown on UK TV ---> http://kwakuthoughts.tumblr.com/
    Forum Member
    kwaku_ag wrote: »
    I actually wrote a blog, stating 5 reasons, why Parks & Rec should be shown on UK TV ---> http://kwakuthoughts.tumblr.com/

Different from US comical imports? Pleasing on the eye? Pulling at straws?

I'm not sure you watch enough comedy....
    We get all the major US mockumentries (The Office, Modern Family)...
    We get quite a number of single camera sitcoms too... (30 Rock, The Office, Modern Family, Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, New Girl, Don't Trust The B**** In Apartment 23, Community, The Middle & If we include animation, Family Guy, The Simpsons, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, South Park, Bob's Burgers...)

I'm kidding, that probably comes across more aggressive that it was intended
  • kwaku_agkwaku_ag Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Different from US comical imports? Pleasing on the eye? Pulling at straws?

I'm not sure you watch enough comedy....
    We get all the major US mockumentries (The Office, Modern Family)...
    We get quite a number of single camera sitcoms too... (30 Rock, The Office, Modern Family, Eastbound & Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, New Girl, Don't Trust The B**** In Apartment 23, Community, The Middle & If we include animation, Family Guy, The Simpsons, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, South Park, Bob's Burgers...)

I'm kidding, that probably comes across more aggressive that it was intended

Yeah, I guess, my blog was a tad OTT.
    Forum Member
    kwaku_ag wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess, my blog was a tad OTT.

You should have gone for 4 reasons, apparently people think rounded lists are bullshit but nonsensical numbers must be correct because why else would you use them?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I first caught this on the entertainment system on a plane flight (its amazing how many good US shows you can discover for the first time on transatlantic flights!) and since then have watched a couple more episodes on hulu. Its a decent show and will be nice to have the chance to watch it from the start on BBC4. Like in the US though, i don't think it will do well ratings wise here either.

I flew on Singapore airlines last year - and they had 6 episodes available as their 'red eye special'. I got so addicted I watch it on the way out and back!

Admittedly it was series 3 - i.e. post Rob Lowe etc joining the show. I am sure we can all relate to the impact of local council cuts!

So I do hope this rumour about BBC4 getting the UK rights is true - I thought I would never get to see it again! I believe RTE have already shown two series of the show in Ireland. Hope the wait isn't too long.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any more news on this ?
  • PorterjohPorterjoh Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Nailz wrote: »
    Any more news on this ?

Nudge. Nudge. Any news? I love this show, would be nice to be able to Sky+ it so I can be a bit lazier watching it...
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Finally confirmed, Parks and Recreation will air on BBC4.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/bbc-four-new-programming.html]
    Parks And Recreation is an ensemble comedy that follows Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), a cheerful, hard-working, mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana, and her eclectic mix of office mates. In her role as Deputy Director, Leslie works tirelessly to make her quintessentially American town just a little bit more fun and serves on several committees like the Clean Restroom Task Force, the Fun in the Sun Committee and the Task Force to Reduce the Number of Public Restrooms.

Since its premiere, this critically-acclaimed series has received numerous accolades, including an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series, three Emmy nominations for Poehler’s performance, honoured by AFI as one of the top 10 Television Programmes of the Year, as well as winning Best Comedy Series at The Comedy Awards.

Nothing about a date though, probably be early next year.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Just the first two seasons have been picked up for now, but they will no doubt get rights for more if it proves popular, which it should imagine the bar is set pretty low for it ratings-wise.
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/11/bbc-four-acquires-uk-rights-to-parks-and-recreation/
    My sources are now telling me that BBC Four’s deal with NBCUniversal is for the first two seasons of Parks and Recreation. I hear that the two season pickup is due to the short episode run of the show’s first season (6 episodes). If the series proves to be successful for BBC Four, they will lock down the rights for the remaining seasons of the show. Such a deal is typical when it comes to acquisitions, with life-of-series deals being more rare and only tending to be inked when a series has proven to be a hit or if the series in question was subject to heavy bidding from multiple broadcasters (which I’m told isn’t the case here, with BBC Four being the only interested UK broadcaster).

TVwise are also saying Spring 2013 for the airdate.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spring 2013? The first episode will be 4 years old by that point. Hell of a break.

Core audience has probably already seen it online.

Really is amazing that NBC have stuck with it considering its constant declining ratings since literally day 1
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starts Wednesday 6th of March at 10pm on BBC4
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks interesting - I didn't even know it existed until I saw the trailers on BBC4....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been aware of it for a while since I used to watch Amy Pohler on SNL, but I can never get on with the whole 'mockumentary' style of comedy. I'll probably give it a try though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched the first 2 eps on US Netflixs I am not sure, its ok but it hasn't really grabbed me.

But I tried "Its Always sunny in Philadelphia" and found that so funny and am just going to start season 2, can't believe it hasn't been picked up here.

I also like Louis, I was kicking myself when I saw ep 4 on FX UK as I thought for some reason it was on on Sky Atlantic but then I saw it on Netflixs and caught up with the eps I missed and am now ahead of FX UK pace :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without trying to take the thread off-topic, I also love "Louie" at the moment. Last week's episode was particularly funny !
    Forum Member
    am I the only person that finds Louie too quirky and not even remotely funny? I don't get awkward comedy. I don't find it funny because I can empathise, I just have an overwhelming desire to pause it and perhaps not watch the rest...
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am I the only person that finds Louie too quirky and not even remotely funny? I don't get awkward comedy. I don't find it funny because I can empathise, I just have an overwhelming desire to pause it and perhaps not watch the rest...

I tried the first few episodes and gave up. I found some of it really funny and some of it completely unfunny, but maybe similar to you I found it too easy to stop watching mid-show when the laughs dried up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Believe me, I don't get awkward comedy either - it usually makes me cringe and I end up having to turn off but this, for whatever reason, just works for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw the trailer today felt like shouting FIVE YEARS TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH

Guess its a good thing that some UK broadcaster picked it up. Just hoping people aren't put off by the first season.
    Forum Member
    Believe me, I don't get awkward comedy either - it usually makes me cringe and I end up having to turn off but this, for whatever reason, just works for me.

I see what you mean, I do like The Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I don't get Louie. I have no problem with quirkiness, if it's funny or likeable, but Louie isn't either and it just becomes annoying...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parks and Recreation could become a good, great or even excellent series, if not only Rob Lowe were in it from the outset, but also had the producers not thrown caution to the wind, and added Aziz Ansari to the cast...in much the same way that The Office involved superluous amateur ham Mindy Kalling within the show.
    Forum Member
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    Just saw the trailer today felt like shouting FIVE YEARS TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH

Guess its a good thing that some UK broadcaster picked it up. Just hoping people aren't put off by the first season.

Never mind being put off by the first season. If I hadn't heard good things about it I'd be put off by trailer, was that seriously the best they could come up with?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0159bk5

Also, do we think they'll have iPlayer rights for it? I know BBC Three don't have the rights for recent acquisition Wilfred, but that's a Fox show (and we all know Murdoch's feelings towards the Beeb)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched the first 2 eps on US Netflixs I am not sure, its ok but it hasn't really grabbed me.

But I tried "Its Always sunny in Philadelphia" and found that so funny and am just going to start season 2, can't believe it hasn't been picked up here.

I also like Louis, I was kicking myself when I saw ep 4 on FX UK as I thought for some reason it was on on Sky Atlantic but then I saw it on Netflixs and caught up with the eps I missed and am now ahead of FX UK pace :D.

Stick with it. Season 2 onwards are far better than season 1.