Windows 8 not so bad...

191011121315»

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think metro on the pc has been that great whereas I think they did it really well on the phone. You can tell it has been done by two different teams, one of which just copied the phone without understanding how to adopt it on larger screens.

The main issue on the pc side vs the phone side is the lack of visual cues whereas windows phone had tons of visual cues.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Apparently it's needed for a version of MS Office.

Ah right. I don't think it's the same version of Office that runs on full Windows - or is it? Is the RT version more cloud based?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right. I don't think it's the same version of Office that runs on full Windows - or is it? Is the RT version more cloud based?

It is. They just ported the x86 version to ARM architecture.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Perhaps those who like it and who wish to offer advise should create a "Windows 8 Metro Appreciation Thread"? Or for the pedantic, "Windows 8 Modern Interface Appreciation Thread", not so snappy though.

Unfortunately, a "Windows 8 Appreciation Thread" won't do it because many who do appreciate Windows 8 and who would sing its praises, loathe its Metro front-end, and in order to avoid misleading people, would be unable to resist pointing that out.
    I understand your point, but, I think to deny it's existence at every opportunity is pointless. Personally I think that most people will end up using a hybrid version on a desktop. Using 3rd party apps to hide metro until they want to use it for something. I wouldn't miss it if it went, but, I'll use it while it's there, if it's convenient.
    We can sling around the juvenile 'Fanboy' argument all day long. W8 and now 8.1 is what it is and MS are only going to progress it, not ditch it. Those that don't use Metro will also have to accept that there are those that do or at least, do some of the time.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D@ve, when you get 8.1, try it out for a while without your metro blocker, if you still don't like it then stick your start menu back on.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Those that don't use Metro will also have to accept that there are those that do or at least, do some of the time.
    I can only speak for myself, but as someone who cannot abide Metro, I'm perfectly happy to accept that there are people that not only use it, but genuinely like it. I'm glad they're happy, and I wouldn't want to take it away from them.

All I'm asking for is the option of a non-fullscreen, hierarchical applications menu. Make it hard to find, make it an obscure registry key if you must (perish the thought of giving the "average" user a choice...) - just give me a native option for a proper start menu. Like there was in the preview. That's all it would take for me to think about upgrading.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    flynn wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself, but as someone who cannot abide Metro, I'm perfectly happy to accept that there are people that not only use it, but genuinely like it. I'm glad they're happy, and I wouldn't want to take it away from them.

All I'm asking for is the option of a non-fullscreen, hierarchical applications menu. Make it hard to find, make it an obscure registry key if you must (perish the thought of giving the "average" user a choice...) - just give me a native option for a proper start menu. Like there was in the preview. That's all it would take for me to think about upgrading.

I understand what you want and don't disagree with it. However, I would think it a waste of time to keep stating it on a forum MS is unlikely to even know exists let alone take notice of. The point is, it just gets in the way of discussing how things work for those who are not so upset about Metro.
    You can get what you want via 3rd party apps, which are still going to work in 8.1. MS may not give you the choices you want, but, you can have them.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh, I have no expectation of my opinions on here making any difference to MS - however it is a discussion forum, and while there are certain people (not you, I hasten to add!) telling me that I should "just accept it" and so on I'm going to respond to that.

I'm personally not prepared to go down the Win8 plus third party options route, because if I do that's another sale for MS despite my objections, and implies that I'm accepting what they're trying to foist on me. There's nothing particuarly compelling about 8(.1) so I'm happy staying on 7 for now. If I find myself needing a new PC/laptop in the future I can evaluate my options then...
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It is. They just ported the x86 version to ARM architecture.
    Really Zack?

:confused: