Most underated player to have played in the premier league

Comments

• Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,482
    Forum Member
    theriddler wrote: »
    Bruce is probably a better call. My reasoning for O'shea is that he is immensly versitle he's played in defence, midfield, ermergency striker (as a tatic when loosing), and emergency goal keeper (when goal keeper has been sent off etc). Sort of jack of all trades, and works hard

Jack of all trades, master of nothing..
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Jack of all trades, master of nothing..

Those players are vital to a squad. O'Shea is the prime example of an ideal squad man.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Matt Le Tissier? Played all his professional career for Southampton, scoring 30 goals in one season. Though a number of big clubs were interested in him at various times, a move never happened.

He only ever played a handful of games for England and was controversially left out of the squad by Glenn Hoddle despite scoring a hat trick in an England B game.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he'd be more classed as overlooked than underrated, followers of the Premier League knew what a talent he was.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Taylor - criminally overlooked by England at a time when we had a shortage of left-sided players especially as he can pass/shoot with either foot and has scored some cracking goals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jose Dominguez - ex Spurs
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Jose Dominguez - ex Spurs

He's name is Jose Dominguez, He plays on the winguez.... :)
  • SegaGodSegaGod Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hyypia, scott parker and dennis irwin come to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Those players are vital to a squad. O'Shea is the prime example of an ideal squad man.

Yeah, ideally he would be with another squad:D
  • ICT User 77ICT User 77 Posts: 11,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say Roberto Di Matteo never got the attention his play deserved. Was awesome for Chelsea but playing alongside legends such as Zola, Gullit and Vialli meant he didn't always get the most recognition.

And until 2009 he held the record for the fastest goal in an FA Cup Final.

Pierluigi Casiraghi looked to be a great player, such a shame he only had a handful of games for Chelsea before he had to stop playing altogether.

Back on topic though Eidur Gudjohnsen never seems to receive any plaudits.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Hendry (Blackburn).

He was an immense defender, especially when they won the title (sadly for me) in 1995.
    Forum Member
    Colin Hendry (Blackburn).

He was an immense defender, especially when they won the title (sadly for me) in 1995.

He was horrific at Rangers.
  • SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dietmar Hamann had some appreciation when he came on in Istanbul and basically made Kaka invisible.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, ideally he would be with another squad:D

He did it again yesterday. We have no midfield, in comes O'Shea against Arsenal. Workmanlike performance - he does a job, 2-0 win no fuss.

That is a valuable person to have in the squad.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did it again yesterday. We have no midfield, in comes O'Shea against Arsenal. Workmanlike performance - he does a job, 2-0 win no fuss.

That is a valuable person to have in the squad.

Spot on.

King Eric would have called him a water carrier & even the greatest teams need a water carrier.
    Forum Member
    Spot on.

King Eric would have called him a water carrier & even the greatest teams need a water carrier.

Nothing wrong with being a water carrier!

For me, we have won the recent titles, not because of the big players, well actually yes because of the big players, im talking rubbish! However almost as important as the big players are the squad guys like Park, O'Shea, Fletcher (a squad player at the time) etc who can play 10 league games in various positions and see us through games. None of these guys are REALLY good enough for a top 4 club if we are being honest and none of the other top 4 clubs would take them but their contribution is vital.

They dip in and out of the team when there is an injury crisis or suspensions and keep things ticking over then drop back to the bench when the first choice player is back. They never complain and know that a season of 20 games in all comps with us is better than 40 with a mid table team. We have lots of under-rated players in that respect IMO.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Bruce for Manchester United, how he never played for England to this day I will never know.

Steve Bruce's career is a prime example of how any player can make the absolute most of his talents. He was little more than an old-fashioned stopper when we bought him but developed into one of the most cultured players at United. Could always see why he wasn't picked for England though due to his slight lack of pace - not apparent in his early days (when he wasn't as good) and later on he had Pallister to pick up the pieces.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think Bruce, Makele, Irwin and many others mentioned were actually underrated. They were too simply too consistent not to be picked out for praise by commentators, other managers etc. So, trying to go for someone who went completely under the radar... for a season and a half, Ruel Fox was absolutely amazing.
    Forum Member
    Steve Bruce's career is a prime example of how any player can make the absolute most of his talents. He was little more than an old-fashioned stopper when we bought him but developed into one of the most cultured players at United. Could always see why he wasn't picked for England though due to his slight lack of pace - not apparent in his early days (when he wasn't as good) and later on he had Pallister to pick up the pieces.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think Bruce, Makele, Irwin and many others mentioned were actually underrated. They were too simply too consistent not to be picked out for praise by commentators, other managers etc. So, trying to go for someone who went completely under the radar... for a season and a half, Ruel Fox was absolutely amazing.

Behave yourself!

Ruel Fox wasnt under rated! He was an OK player who had a good season in a career of being average!
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Behave yourself!

Ruel Fox wasnt under rated! He was an OK player who had a good season in a career of being average!

If you're really sure of yourself, go and say that in Norwich town centre :).
    Forum Member
    If you're really sure of yourself, go and say that in Norwich town centre :).

Aye they had a good side at that point, Jeremy Goss scored some great goals for them but i think it was more a coming together of players rather than top players who were under rated for the rest of their career.
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    But Scholes has never come close to even winning player of the year when lesser players have done.:(

I would class Scholes as under appreciated. He was awesome when he came on yesterday when United were playing keep ball.
    Forum Member
    Season 74 wrote: »
    I would class Scholes as under appreciated. He was awesome when he came on yesterday when United were playing keep ball.

I called him a few things that would have made him feel underappreciated when he made THAT tackle!
    Forum Member
    David Silva is one of the most under-appreciated players in football at the moment. I don't think he can be called underrated though considering City paid £30m for him.
    Forum Member
    I called him a few things that would have made him feel underappreciated when he made THAT tackle!

Ha. Yep. I was saying after the game that we got to see both sides of him in a very short period of time.
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Matt Taylor - criminally overlooked by England at a time when we had a shortage of left-sided players especially as he can pass/shoot with either foot and has scored some cracking goals.

Agreed. Although i'd say it was more true of the last few seasons than this one.