Changes To Heart North East Breakfast

occyoccy Posts: 65,013
Forum Member
✭✭
Heart North East’s Breakfast presenter Gary Philipson and Lisa Shaw are leaving the station at the end of this month, RadioToday can reveal.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/12/gary-and-lisa-to-leave-heart-north-east-breakfast/

Comments

• phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Justin and Kelly from Drivetime may take over Breakfast, they are only duo presenting Drive on Heart outside London. It was probably the intention to keep them as a duo to move them to Breakfast.

The presenter from another Heart station that could present the Drivetime show, could be Claire Lawson who currently presents weekend afternoons on Heart Kent.

http://www.heart.co.uk/kent/on-air/weekends/claire-lawson/

I wonder if Gary and Lisa will move to Bauer's new Greatest Hits Network on Metro Radio 2 (formally Magic 1152) from January 2015. Anna Foster who used to present the Breakfast Show has moved to the local TV station, Made In Tyne & Wear.

Alternatively Gary or Lisa could move to Smooth Radio North East to present one or both of the Weekend afternoon show between 14.00 - 18.00 and we will be relief presenter for Breakfast and Drive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I think Justin and Kelly from Drivetime may take over Breakfast, they are only duo presenting Drive on Heart outside London. It was probably the intention to keep them as a duo to move them to Breakfast.

The presenter from another Heart station that could present the Drivetime show, could be Claire Lawson who currently presents weekend afternoons on Heart Kent.

http://www.heart.co.uk/kent/on-air/weekends/claire-lawson/

I wonder if Gary and Lisa will move to Bauer's new Greatest Hits Network on Metro Radio 2 (formally Magic 1152) from January 2015. Anna Foster who used to present the Breakfast Show has moved to the local TV station, Made In Tyne & Wear.

Alternatively Gary or Lisa could move to Smooth Radio North East to present one or both of the Weekend afternoon show between 14.00 - 18.00 and we will be relief presenter for Breakfast and Drive.

Gary and Lisa will end up on Metro!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I say good luck to the both of them...they are both nice folks and I believe that Lisa is expecting a child soon anyway...congrats to her!

I think if we are honest they do not fit the Heart Breakfast mold and a few were suprised when they stayed. Global have a list of ex G Cappers ect that have been kept in touch with so it's more than likely to be someone whom was a casualty in the relaunches, it's more likely signed and done with.

This Station North East has had a lot of change in its history, a number of Breakfast Shows and PD's ect and needs to settle, they know it too so its doubtfull they will go for a complete newby to the Group!

I see Claire Lawson's name mentioned...she's from Thirsk and as worked in the Format and the with current PC Giles at TFM...maybe she'll arrive, maybe not?

What about Anna Foster...free from next year I gather?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    How funny are the idiots on that toilet paper website Radio Today who are saying "they are Sony gold winners".

Firstly, that award was overseen by their mate, and secondly check their figures. This has consistently been the worst (or all but) performing breakfast show in a medium to large market in the UK.

They only survived so long because the takeover took that long. Almost everybody knew this day was coming.
    Forum Member
    I can see them turning up on Metro or Metro 2... Gary and Lisa are good but just not on the right station.
  • Gary_hGary_h Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    BruteForce wrote: »
    How funny are the idiots on that toilet paper website Radio Today who are saying "they are Sony gold winners".

Firstly, that award was overseen by their mate, and secondly check their figures. This has consistently been the worst (or all but) performing breakfast show in a medium to large market in the UK.

They only survived so long because the takeover took that long. Almost everybody knew this day was coming.

I can't quite put my finger on it, I get the feeling you don't like them. I may be wrong though.
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Justin & Kelly taking over breakfast. Tom Campbell joins for drivetime.
  • michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is Tom Campbell from? I've never heard of him. So they must be keeping Ben Weston for weekend afternoons?
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is Tom Campbell from? I've never heard of him. So they must be keeping Ben Weston for weekend afternoons?

Ex The Wolf/Signal 107 until a few months back, then he went to Heart Gloucester.
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Tom's certainly getting around this year! He was a decent enough presenter on Signal 107 breakfast - well as good as you can be with the resources / limitations of that station.

Unfortunately, once The Wolf took over the MNA transmitters, the Signal 107 audience share plummeted, which is a pity as I found the music logs are slightly better than Free and the station was local during daytime, not networked to death like Free / Heart / Crapital.

Anyhow, this is a Heart thread... so good luck Tom if you read this thread. Dare you to play a song that ISN'T on the Heart playlist. For the lolz.
  • Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Gary used to present the Late Night Zoo on TFM back in 2005 or so. I used to listen to him almost every night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Global love to re launch stations saying "your breakfast show will be the same" but change it when it doesn't fit in. Still they've been there a while and I have a feeling they have something else lined up.
    !
    Looks like another drivetime presenter needed in Gloucester then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Tom's certainly getting around this year! He was a decent enough presenter on Signal 107 breakfast - well as good as you can be with the resources / limitations of that station.

Unfortunately, once The Wolf took over the MNA transmitters, the Signal 107 audience share plummeted, which is a pity as I found the music logs are slightly better than Free and the station was local during daytime, not networked to death like Free / Heart / Crapital.

Anyhow, this is a Heart thread... so good luck Tom if you read this thread. Dare you to play a song that ISN'T on the Heart playlist. For the lolz.

He's a really talented guy - very funny! Well done to him on yet another great achievement!
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Gary and Lisa leave this Friday. I have to say no surprise at all and it was only a matter of time, Gary in particular doesn't seem to fit into the dull Heart style. Justin and Kelly are only an interim measure I bet.
    Forum Member
    Gary and Lisa leave this Friday. I have to say no surprise at all and it was only a matter of time, Gary in particular doesn't seem to fit into the dull Heart style. Justin and Kelly are only an interim measure I bet.

Ben Weston will most likely be covering. To be honest I don't know why they don't just take them off the air from now and be done with it. No use them flogging a dead horse. I love Gary and Lisa but if they don't want them there just get rid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Justin & Kelly taking over breakfast. Tom Campbell joins for drivetime.

A very Safe move for Heart North East, they're okay....given some proper Coaching by the PD and hard work they could be good at Breakfast but that makes 5 him and her style Breakfast Shows from 2015 in the North East!

Heart - Justin & Kelly
    Capital - Matt, Bodge & Jo Jo
    Sun FM - Simon & Danni
    Metro/TFM - Steve & Karen
    BBC Newcastle - Alfie & Charlie

Hearts PD has 2 Morning Shows to try and coach and a silly workload hence he has a Dep PD and really does not have that much control over the station creatively, infact thats why they are called Content Controllers...they cant make any Major Changes!

Good luck to them but I suspect they will have less than 6 months to prove themselves when a Breakfast Show needs at least a year...unless it is really bad!

Again...nobody in the Market here is pushing the envelope...all very safe!
    Forum Member
    Nice of them to say it was their last show. Normally that doesn't happen and they just depart without any mention.
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom's page is now up: http://www.heart.co.uk/northeast/on-air/drivetime/ - http://www.heart.co.uk/northeast/on-air/drivetime/meet-tom-campbell/

Ian Brannan will be covering drivetime till January 5th
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking through the Radio Times and noticed that Gary Philipson is sitting in for Paddy McDee on the late show on BBC Newcastle and BBC Tees between 22.00 - 01.00, Wednesday - Friday (4th - 6th February).

I also noticed that Lisa Shaw was reading the news on Saturday morning on BBC Newcastle.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its all about the same ten songs on a loop :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lisa Shaw did one day on the breakfast show covering on "the greatest hits network" last week, the new Magic 1152. Good they're both getting work again, ......
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that called Metro Radio 2 these days?
  • tommytemprastommytempras Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Hope Metro 2 is more popular than Viking 2 here in East Yorks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have listened to the new Metro 2 from day one, and the music is just so so repetitive now, they always seem to play T Rex and the same Anastasia song, I miss Magic a lot! I don't know what the saved presenters think of it all! And also what's happened to the new breakfast presenter- I think he's been missing for about 2 weeks now!!
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have listened to the new Metro 2 from day one, and the music is just so so repetitive now, they always seem to play T Rex and the same Anastasia song, I miss Magic a lot! I don't know what the saved presenters think of it all! And also what's happened to the new breakfast presenter- I think he's been missing for about 2 weeks now!!

I used to listen to Magic 1152 quite a lot. I liked the Golden Years and the Rewind Top 20 particularly. According to what Bauer are saying, Magic had been losing listeners for several years. I hardly think that this rebrand will help. They have turned a good station into an unlistenable mess.