SATC - Does anyone else not get it?

Wasn't sure where to post this as it's a tv show, film, fashion thing etc so Showbiz is as good a place as any.

Is it just me who really doesn't understand the fuss about SATC? It's pushed by the media as being the most fantastic show/film for women ever and we're all supposed to drool over every outfit and be gagging in anticipation of the new film.

I've seen a couple of episodes and just thought 'so what'? I hated SJP's character and found it hard to give a toss about the shallow lives of these silly women.

Please tell me I'm not alone?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I've seen the show and I think its ok (I'm 17, so probably not the target audience) but they are shallow (the characters, not sure about the actresses), even though it's meant to be empowering. I don't get the hype surrounding the films, the storyline(s) are predictable.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    i agree, i am roundabout the target age of the audience but i really dont get it.
    I started watching the film got to the bit where he dumped her and thought who gives a toss?
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you're not alone...I don't get it. I have tried as most of my friends seemed to love it and make reference to it that I didn't get so I gave it a go...watched quite a few episodes but I probably couldn't tell you what went on them as my attention seemed to drift elsewhere. I did not find it fabulous.
  • monkeymoomonkeymoo Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I refused to watch it originally, thought it would be naff and hated the hype, but in a bored moment I succumbed to the first few episodes when it was repeated from the start recently, and I have to admit not only did I get into it, I loved it and watched the whole lot!

I think you have to start with the series from the beginning and get to care about the characters, if that makes sense, although I am probably the age of the target audience (if that is 30 something). :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    I've seen the show and I think its ok (I'm 17, so probably not the target audience) but they are shallow (the characters, not sure about the actresses), even though it's meant to be empowering. I don't get the hype surrounding the films, the storyline(s) are predictable.

yep.... and yet they all centre their lives around the pursuit of men. I think it's meant to show that they can approach sex like a man, but they come across as whiney and needy.
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor me, if a friend was watching I'd humour them and be quiet, but it's just not my thing. I enjoyed watching SJP more in the film Mars Attacks.:D
  • LarocLaroc Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your not alone, I tried to watch it a few times, thought it was a load of guff. Fell asleep half way through the film. I'm in their target audience 34 and female.
  • DollyDumplingDollyDumpling Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen even one episode and have no intention of changing that.:D

I detest American sit-coms and since even SJP's face annoys me I've got double reasons to avoid it like the plague.:yawn:

Suppose there's an 'audience' screaming with laughter at nothing.
    On seconds thoughts don't respond because even if there isn't I still wont be watching it.:sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I don't get it either... Most of my friends seem to love it, but after watching a couple of episodes I just think it's rubbish :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am not a fan either, but im not a fan of any chick kind thing..

I remember when the film came out and all the girls at my work were going mad to see it!! Cant see it myself

I dont like dirty dancing either :o

*waits for the flaming*
  • LittleChickenLittleChicken Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    I'm not their target audience (too old!) but I love it.

It's a bit of fluffy, light nonsense and nobody should take seriously a programme that shows a woman earning enough to buy $40,000 worth of Manolos, Louboutins et al when she writes a once a week column in a downmarket NY paper! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Target audience is fashion bimbos who read Grazia, and it is meaningless twaddle about as far removed from modern women as one can get.Damn insult to intelligent females everywhere.

Be honoured that you "do not get what the fuss is about"....
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I think the show's core is mainly about friendship between girlfriends - because if you've watched the show and movie you'd know that the women all stand by each other when the men, fashions and big grand glitzy parties come and go. I think there was one episode where the girls all declared each other as their soul mates and any man who happens to come into their lives is just a bonus - as cheesy as that sounds. I think that's why a lot of women can relate to it. I remember the buzz when the movie was released. It was a chance for groups of girls to go out together, watch the movie and have fun by getting lost in a fluffy, over-the-top chickflick. It had become an event. I know groups of women even went to a lot of trouble of dressing up just to go to the cinema.

That said, if you'd never seen the show and only the movie then it's understandable that you'd hate the characters. Plus I think it's refreshing to see a lead character like Carrie who isn't very likeable at times anyway - she can be extremely narcisistic, whiney and annoying - but her friends always reign her in and tell her off for it.

Besides, it's not something to "get" as the OP says. It's all just a bit of fun.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    newwoman wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to post this as it's a tv show, film, fashion thing etc so Showbiz is as good a place as any.

Is it just me who really doesn't understand the fuss about SATC? It's pushed by the media as being the most fantastic show/film for women ever and we're all supposed to drool over every outfit and be gagging in anticipation of the new film.

I've seen a couple of episodes and just thought 'so what'? I hated SJP's character and found it hard to give a toss about the shallow lives of these silly women.

Please tell me I'm not alone?

Well, the TV show is dear to my heart but the film was dire (like I knew it would be, I didn't want to see it).

I like the dialogue on the show and I like the flawed characters. There is nothing cookiecooker about them.

I also find it funny and witty.
    I detest American sit-coms and since even SJP's face annoys me I've got double reasons to avoid it like the plague.:yawn:

It's not a sitcom.
    Mrstim wrote: »

*waits for the flaming*

I'm not a girly girl and don't like chick flicks either. I kind of resent being written off as a girly girl for liking SATC. It is a much more clever programme then people give it credit for. Just ignore the film.
    Stewing wrote: »
    Target audience is fashion bimbos who read Grazia, and it is meaningless twaddle about as far removed from modern women as one can get.Damn insult to intelligent females everywhere.

No, it's not. This is a very misguided comment. I don't read fashion magazines and would never watch a show just because there was pretty clothes featured.
    I think the show's core is mainly about friendship between girlfriends - because if you've watched the show and movie you'd know that the women all stand by each other when the men, fashions and big grand glitzy parties come and go. I think there was one episode where the girls all declared each other as their soul mates and any man who happens to come into their lives is just a bonus - as cheesy as that sounds. I think that's why a lot of women can relate to it. I remember the buzz when the movie was released. It was a chance for groups of girls to go out together, watch the movie and have fun by getting lost in a fluffy, over-the-top chickflick. It had become an event. I know groups of women even went to a lot of trouble of dressing up just to go to the cinema.

That said, if you'd never seen the show and only the movie then it's understandable that you'd hate the characters. Plus I think it's refreshing to see a lead character like Carrie who isn't very likeable at times anyway - she can be extremely narcisistic, whiney and annoying - but her friends always reign her in and tell her off for it.

Besides, it's not something to "get" as the OP says. It's all just a bit of fun.

Well said!

Jeez, I'm tired from all this quoting! :)
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I have never got it either. For independent woman they are far too dependent on the affections of men.

Shallow nonsense really. My friend 'forced' me to watch the film but she gave up part way through due to my moaning and eye raising (mainly about how SJP did not look beautiful).
    Forum Member
    I have never got it either. For independent woman they are far too dependent on the affections of men.

Shallow nonsense really. My friend 'forced' me to watch the film but she gave up part way through due to my moaning and eye raising (mainly about how SJP did not look beautiful).

Why are people so offended by less than perfect looking people appearing on screen?
  • janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    Why are people so offended by less than perfect looking people appearing on screen?

I think with SJP in the role of Carrie its about being mis cast.

The show isn't written with Carrie as an unconventional beauty, its all scripted as if she is a traditional beauty.
    Forum Member
    I think with SJP in the role of Carrie its about being mis cast.

The show isn't written with Carrie as an unconventional beauty, its all scripted as if she is a traditional beauty.

I don't think that it is really. She's quirky and somewhat cute and that seems to be what attracted the men in her life.

There is a whole storyline about one of her exes then going out with a traditional beauty who is wholly wrong for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkeymoo wrote: »
    I refused to watch it originally, thought it would be naff and hated the hype, but in a bored moment I succumbed to the first few episodes when it was repeated from the start recently, and I have to admit not only did I get into it, I loved it and watched the whole lot!

I think you have to start with the series from the beginning and get to care about the characters, if that makes sense, although I am probably the age of the target audience (if that is 30 something). :)

I agree with this completely - I also refused to watch it at the beginning ignoring the hype and not wanting to be drawn into it all .... HOWEVER!
    Last summer my hubby was away in the states for work and one Saturday night I was up late and it was on - as there was nothing else on I gave it a go.
    I've now seen every episode, the movie and can't wait for the second movie to come out as well ! :)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm certainly not in the target audience for SATC being a 23 year old male but I have to say that the tv series was highly addictive. I don't think people are giving it enough credit and are quick to write it off as fluffy nonsense or being demeaning to modern women. SATC was actually an extremely cleverly written show and I admire how the writers managed to keep it fresh and compelling viewing for over 6 series when essentially every episode was based around the same situations more or less.

I just think form a writer's point of view the show featured some great storylines and snappy, witty dialogue. SJP as Carrie may not have been your conventional heroine but she somehow worked and was believeable. I think her main storylines concerning mainly her different boyfriends at any given time were dealt with very well as each relationship seemed to expose a new side to her character. In particular I really liked her relationship with Berger and found that to be the most real out of all her relationships, even counting her one with Big. Uhh I'm getting sidetracked but I'll finish by saying that SATC was a great show and certainly a huge guilty pleasure of mine...though I know some of my other male friends watched it too:p

btw, I would not even consider counting the SATC films. For me they are so far removed from the actual tv series.
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it and have got all the series on dvd.

To me it's just escapism, I would love to be living their lives. As for the way they look, it wouldn't have worked if they had all been supermodel types.
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Well I'm certainly not in the target audience for SATC being a 23 year old male but I have to say that the tv series was highly addictive. I don't think people are giving it enough credit and are quick to write it off as fluffy nonsense or being demeaning to modern women. SATC was actually an extremely cleverly written show and I admire how the writers managed to keep it fresh and compelling viewing for over 6 series when essentially every episode was based around the same situations more or less.

I just think form a writer's point of view the show featured some great storylines and snappy, witty dialogue. SJP as Carrie may not have been your conventional heroine but she somehow worked and was believeable. I think her main storylines concerning mainly her different boyfriends at any given time were dealt with very well as each relationship seemed to expose a new side to her character. In particular I really liked her relationship with Berger and found that to be the most real out of all her relationships, even counting her one with Big. Uhh I'm getting sidetracked but I'll finish by saying that SATC was a great show and certainly a huge guilty pleasure of mine...though I know some of my other male friends watched it too:p

btw, I would not even consider counting the SATC films. For me they are so far removed from the actual tv series.

Yay! I love this post! I so agree! :):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    Mrstim wrote: »
    am not a fan either, but im not a fan of any chick kind thing..

I remember when the film came out and all the girls at my work were going mad to see it!! Cant see it myself

*waits for the flaming*

I've watched that a few times, don't get the hype. Same with Grease.:p
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewing wrote: »

Be honoured that you "do not get what the fuss is about"....

People like yourself look far too into it. Slagging off those who enjoy it is quite rude, especially when most people who watch it ARE intelligent females. I watch it because it is entertaining. I don't agree with their morals and their obsession with men and fashion, however watching it is a bit of escapism. A bit of a getaway from our normal lives.

I thoroughly enjoy watching SATC and am insulted that because I do, people like yourself think I must be a bimbo who reads Grazia when in fact I'm a trainee scientist who doesn't follow fashion at all.

But you just keep on making such rude generalisations.
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    I've watched that a few times, don't get the hype. Same with Grease.:p

Yay, not just me! I like Dirty Dancing, but have never understood the love for Grease. Or SATC.

Actually, I'm not into rom-coms either. Do I fail at being a woman?