Royal Prank caller DJ to sue radio station...

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Wow. Talk about missing the point. 10/10 for that. And calling her a stupid bitch on top of it. :rolleyes:

She has every right to expect her employers to support her, in the same way they did Christian.

I don't care. Quite happy with my post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a vicious post and completely uncalled for. If your going to post a nasty rant like this in future then at least try and not so obviously contradict yourself as you've done in the bib.

If that's what you think, fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    The balance of the woman's mind was disturbed - it generally is when people commit suicide. It comes across as crass, yes, but I seriously doubt she killed herself just to get the two DJ's to pay off her house. The same article you linked to also states that the radio station is donating/has donated £350'000 to her family, so any money Mel Greig makes out of this classless lawsuit is unlikely to go to Jacinda's family, or indeed mortgage company. Greig is a grown woman, with the ability to make her own decisions. Suing her employers on the basis of 'well, you let me do it!' sounds like something a five-year-old would come up with.

She shouldn't have made the call in the first place. I agree with your post.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    So the male DJ got an award and the female DJ the sack?

Swings and roundabouts this prankster business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »

Was this at a different station though?
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,800
    Forum Member
    Would the owners of the radio station be taking the media watchdog to court if they found the station hadn't breached any rules?
    Southern Cross Austereo, parent company of Sydney radio station Today FM, have launched court action to stop the media watchdog from ruling it was in breach of its license by recording the now infamous royal prank call.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Maybe the stupid bitch should have thought about the consequences before she thought she was being clever by putting a member of staff at risk of losing her job. She's now suddenly decided that she didn't like the consequences and is deciding to make money from it. I think those tears she shedded were completely fake. Either that, or she was petrified of what consequences she might have to face at the time of making that 'apology'. I hope she loses. I hope she's not hounded over what happened, but I do hope she loses her case though.

Edit: At least he hasn't decided to do something as arrogant as this.

How would they of know the phone was going to be answered by a woman who had previously tried to commit suicide and was mentally unstable... Even the nurses employers and collegues hadn't noticed she had problems
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »

My mistake, 'gardening leave' apparently.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,193
    Forum Member
    By publicly humiliating her in front of millions of people, giving no regard to how she may react. By giving no consideration to how her employment may be affected by their 'joke'.The DJs obviously did not intend for Jacinda to take her own life, nor could even foresee it, but surely must have realised that such a prank could cause deep embarrassment for her and possible disciplinary measures at work?

Nope. You are taking so many leaps here, you are going into light speed.
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Ultimately, it was the Royal Security/Hospital Security that was at fault. When a Royal visits any public place, I assume the RS must do a risk assessment and put in place the right security to fit the particular situation. In this case, the RS must have at least thought of the media phoning up trying to find out sensitive information. If this had been covered properly, prank calls would have been sweep up in the mix.

The female DJ has every right to be treated like her male counterpart. If you are put into a particular situation in the workplace, it's the employer that is required to look after H&S. if she feels she's been treated differently then it's quite within her right to challenge this.

The morals of pranks calls could quite easily be debated, but not simply as applied to to this one case. They would need to concidered as a whole as to whether they are socially acceptable. In fact, the Royals initially took it as the joke that it was intended with Prince Charles asking a reporter 'Do you think I'm a Radio Station' with a grin on his face when asked a particular question while boarding a boat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would they of know the phone was going to be answered by a woman who had previously tried to commit suicide and was mentally unstable... Even the nurses employers and collegues hadn't noticed she had problems

Surely they would have known that anyone answering the phone and putting them through was at risk of losing their job? I mean, we're talking about the Royal Family here. Okay, they couldn't have known that someone with mental problems would have answered the phone, but they would have known that they'd have been putting someone's job at serious risk though. You don't get let off with much when it comes to the Royal Family.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they would have known that anyone answering the phone and putting them through was at risk of losing their job? I mean, we're talking about the Royal Family here. Okay, they couldn't have known that someone with mental problems would have answered the phone, but they would have known that they'd have been putting someone's job at serious risk though. You don't get let off with much when it comes to the Royal Family.

Surely the person answering the phone at the hospital should of been better at their job .. Anyone could tell by the conversation that it was nonesense
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KNs47 wrote: »
    Ultimately, it was the Royal Security/Hospital Security that was at fault. When a Royal visits any public place, I assume the RS must do a risk assessment and put in place the right security to fit the particular situation. In this case, the RS must have at least thought of the media phoning up trying to find out sensitive information. If this had been covered properly, prank calls would have been sweep up in the mix.

The female DJ has every right to be treated like her male counterpart. If you are put into a particular situation in the workplace, it's the employer that is required to look after H&S. if she feels she's been treated differently then it's quite within her right to challenge this.

The morals of pranks calls could quite easily be debated, but not simply as applied to to this one case. They would need to concidered as a whole as to whether they are socially acceptable. In fact, the Royals initially took it as the joke that it was intended with Prince Charles asking a reporter 'Do you think I'm a Radio Station' with a grin on his face when asked a particular question while boarding a boat.

Way too much logic and good sense in this post. The sanctimonious finger-waggers who demand that the DJs suffer for the rest of their days won't like it one bit.

Well said.

I loved Charles' reaction. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Nope. You are taking so many leaps here, you are going into light speed.

I'm really not. Look at the coverage the 'prank' got even before Jacinda's death. Would you want the embarrassment of a work-related cock-up broadcast to millions of people, all over the world? Your employment put in jeopardy? Both of these were the minimum outcome of Greig and Christian's call, even if it were only partially successful. If they didn't have the nous to realise that - or, more likely, care - then they shouldn't be in their jobs. Or is that the basis for Greig's lawsuit - "I'm too thick to be on the air, you should have realised this, pay me"?

I genuinely cannot believe that there are people around who think that one of the instigators of this tragedy trying to make money from it is in any way acceptable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I genuinely cannot believe that there are people around who think that one of the instigators of this tragedy trying to make money from it is in any way acceptable.

To be fair, no one could have imagined ever that the outcome would be someone's suicide.

However, I think it's pretty damn upsetting that you can't dislike pranks (especially when it's a hospital that was pranked) or think the DJ's were/are in the wrong somehow without being called something as strong as a sanctimonious finger wagger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the person answering the phone at the hospital should of been better at their job .. Anyone could tell by the conversation that it was nonesense

Not everyone can knows what certain people sound like. Because of this, your use of the word 'anyone' could be wrong. Some people are fooled by the lookalike of the Queen whereas me, I can easily tell the difference.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However, I think it's pretty damn upsetting that you can't dislike pranks (especially when it's a hospital that was pranked) or think the DJ's were/are in the wrong somehow without being called something as strong as a sanctimonious finger wagger.

Meh. It's nothing to do with disliking pranks. It's your apalling view (expressed in your earlier posts) that abuse and death threats are justifiable because

(1) Christian was given an award and
    (2) Grieg has the temerity to expect her employers to behave in a professional way towards her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Meh. It's nothing to do with disliking pranks. It's your apalling view (expressed in your earlier posts) that abuse and death threats are justifiable because

(1) Christian was given an award and
    (2) Grieg has the temerity to expect her employers to behave in a professional way towards her.

I did say later that I went to far with that post, but I do think they're coming across as unpleasant and self-obsessed and thus I can't feel sympathy for them when I once might have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, no one could have imagined ever that the outcome would be someone's suicide.

Meh. I've been called worse, and usually with good reason :D

I'll admit to hating the prank genre of entertainment, relying as it does on making people look 'stupid' in a pre-arranged scenario where the prankster holds all the cards.However, I've never thought, nor suggested, that the DJs could have anticipated the tragic outcome of this prank.

I believe however that they overstepped the mark in terms of the target of the joke (a pregnant woman hospitalised? Ooh my sides) and failing to realise the potential repercussions - again, NOT the suicide, but the very real dangers of media vilification and job dismissal/disciplinary for those they fooled. I don't believe they should be hounded any further for the original broadcast - it's done, and they got a fair kicking for it at the time. Greig's attempts to paint herself as a victim and acquire financial gain from the situation are, however, nauseating and morally repugnant.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it was the immaturity and ignorance of the prank. Trying to access information about a patient you have no right to is pretty low and brainless.

Wouldn't you think if that was their actual aim, that they would have had a better method of doing so than a comedy prank call using ludicrously bad impersonations of the Queen, Prince Charles and the corgis of all things?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greig's attempts to paint herself as a victim and acquire financial gain from the situation are, however, nauseating and morally repugnant.

If she feels that she has been treated wrongly by her employer and is seeking damages then that is her right to do so, there's nothing particularly morally repugnant about that.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this at a different station though?

Same network. The original show was national, not sure about his new one. But there aren't that many option in radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    If she feels that she has been treated wrongly by her employer and is seeking damages then that is her right to do so, there's nothing particularly morally repugnant about that.

If it transpires that Greig was forced under threat of dismissal to carry out the stunt by her employers then I will happily retract my statement. As it stands, she is simply trying to divert the blame for her own poor decisions onto her employers and make cash in the process. In the normal scheme of things that would be poor - in this situation, that led to the death of a woman, it is disgraceful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it transpires that Greig was forced under threat of dismissal to carry out the stunt by her employers then I will happily retract my statement. As it stands, she is simply trying to divert the blame for her own poor decisions onto her employers and make cash in the process. In the normal scheme of things that would be poor - in this situation, that led to the death of a woman, it is disgraceful.

It's unclear exactly why she is bringing this action. There are suggestions that she remains in a sort of employment limbo whilst her co-presenter is back at work. If she is suffering from contractual issues with the station in regards to this, then she is right to take action, as anybody would be. The death of the woman in the UK is irrelevant to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same network. The original show was national, not sure about his new one. But there aren't that many option in radio.

Ah, okay. I thought he moved to a new station. Obviously not then.