The Official Villa supporters thread

Comments

• cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do ask the mods to set up a seperate hooligan forum though....bound to be plenty of Stoke fans on that one....:p

I must admit that on my only visit there in the 1980's we came under a barrage of rocks and stones on the way to the ground.

There were about a hundred of them hiding behind some grave-stones in a cemetary en-route to the ground.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like it or not, neither Liverpool or Everton have the identified reputation of Stoke supporters when it comes to causing trouble.

I look forward to my trip to the Britannia on the 14th...not been before but expect it to be my first and last visit....

do ask the mods to set up a seperate hooligan forum though....bound to be plenty of Stoke fans on that one....:p

haha stoke are just dedicated haha i remember the time when i was in the crowd after thematch and me and my mates where walking and it all kicked off and to escape getting beaten by police we had to run across the a50 with hundreds of others haha the police followed on hoarse bang i got smacked around the head with a batton i was 14 :eek:
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njguy wrote: »
    haha stoke are just dedicated haha

Dedicated to beating the s**t out of opposing supporters so I've heard.....:p

as far as the team goes, I hope they do well. Both Stoke and Hull have already matched Derby's win total from last season.....:D

I'll see you on the 14th mate anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    All signs are that a £9m bid for Milner is imminent...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gareth barry's agent has said he wont be going anywhere so thats some good news. I wonder if milner will get the number 8 shirt if he arrives at villa?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill turns up to the Ricoh and watches Milner...

Milner hands in transfer request next day

Tapping.....
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »

Tapping.....

To be fair we've been linked with Milner for ages...I think the timing is a little weird (why hasn't he handed it in before?), but there's no evidence at all to suggest that he's been tapped up.

Milner's interview after the game last night was quite telling, I thought.
    gareth barry's agent has said he wont be going anywhere so thats some good news. I wonder if milner will get the number 8 shirt if he arrives at villa?

Presume he will...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tapping.....

I'm sure I read somewhere that he handed in his transfer request 7 days ago.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah he did, it was me repeating some mischevious musings from Five Live

I still think he's miffed he was going to be used as a makeweight a couple of seasons ago when he was practically out of the club only for Freddy Shepherd to pull the deal

Its' a shame and maybe a sideways step to be honest (aside from the UEFA Cup, but hasn't Milner already played in the Champions League?)

I personally think he's holding out for a Liverpool offer

Edit...

Just been looking into the case, looking at the statement from his agent (the PFA) this seems to be a public attempt to force Newcastle into a new deal for Milner since his current one was signed after the move to Villa was pulled
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tapping.....

It was stated on SSN that Milner handed in his request on the 20th !!! and Newcastle asked him to keep it private to discuss a revised contract in line with his posistion at the club

PFA defended Milner in that article and here

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4059824,00.html

Seems KK doesn't want him to go either
    Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan could seek showdown talks with executive director Dennis Wise if midfielder James Milner is sold to Aston Villa. (The Sun)
    Forum Member
    We're sleepwalking through this, which is good in a way, but it can be a little frustrating to watch (part of the reason I didn't go tonight). Sparks of brilliance from Routledge and Gardner's having a great game now he's playing in the right position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to have seen a more motivated display , seems as though we are happy to go along with the slowwwww pace

Gardener had a good first half but as slipped into neutral in the 2nd half
    Forum Member
    I would like to have seen a more motivated display , seems as though we are happy to go along with the slowwwww pace

Yeah, I'm not too bothered about it though. Half the team were playing out of position and we were three goals ahead anyway. The only things we can really take from it is that Gardner's still got potential to become a good centre mid for us in the future, and Osbourne's not bad but he needs to do things a little quicker. And Routledge needs to stop thinking he's as good as Ashley Young.

Certainly no indicator of how we'll fare on Sunday at any rate. :) Hopefully Cuellar can get himself fit in time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice to see some different players get a run out last night oh and james milner has signed a 4 year contract.We have been drawn with litex lovech.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's signed. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best of luck with your draw Villa fans.

Hopefully we will join you in the group stage.
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow should be an interesting game...I'd love us to win, and frankly, the way Liverpool have been playing so far this season, if they continue that form and we don't win, I'll be pretty disappointed. I can't wait to see Young have a few runs at Arbeloa tomorrow, and hopefully we can keep Torres quiet at the other end.

Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    demorules wrote: »
    Tomorrow should be an interesting game...I'd love us to win, and frankly, the way Liverpool have been playing so far this season, if they continue that form and we don't win, I'll be pretty disappointed. I can't wait to see Young have a few runs at Arbeloa tomorrow, and hopefully we can keep Torres quiet at the other end.

Fingers crossed.

Seconded. Will be interesting to see Young getting stuck in and certainly Villa will have every chance as long as they avoid any silly errors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool keep playing badly but still getting points , lucky Liverpool ? :)

I hope we stuff them and GB gets a hat trick !

And the smirk is wiped from Rafas face

I am on the last day of my hols (UK) and there is no way I am packing the car up until this games over , its supposed to slash it down from around 6 o clock onwards , so thats another good excuse not to go home tonight :)
    Forum Member
    Well that's quite frankly the worst game of football I've seen for a very long time. Both teams were poor and I'm pretty disappointed we didn't press on and try and make a better attempt at winning the game. Liverpool were there for the taking.

We can take the positive of a clean sheet although we were never under any concerted pressure apart from the first ten minutes of the second half. Laursen and Davies were very solid and Friedel did what he had to do well. Petrov seems to be coming into his own a bit this season, he's picking up the ball and driving into the opposition half which is nice to see. Barry was solid as always, didn't put a foot wrong.

Young never really got into it and he was pretty much marked out of the game. Carew had a head like a 50 pence piece and Gabby seemed to be playing with iron feet, so we were struggling to keep the ball when we went forward.

One thing we need to learn to do is press opponents higher up the pitch, especially at home. Gabby doesn't work hard enough for me - at times he's just walking round the pitch when we could be putting pressure on the player in possession. There were times today when Liverpool could just knock it around as they pleased with no pressure until they got into our defensive third.

As for the Scouse lot, I know they were missing Gerrard and Torres for most of the game, but they were abysmal. They had no clue what they were doing going forward, and it was hard to see what formation they were playing as Keane was switched from the left to the middle and then back to the left. For the last 20 minutes they decided to completely bypass the midfield and smash balls up to their forwards - bread and butter for Laursen and Davies. Pretty sure they didn't have a shot on target, either (Alonso tried a chip from the halfway line at one stage, if that counts).

They defended pretty well but Skrtel was taking lumps out of Carew and Gabby and their full backs were typically unadventurous. United, Chelsea and Arsenal are going to have to dip in quality substantially if Liverpool are going to have any chance of the title.

If these are the two main contenders for 4th place then on today's performance, it says more about the quality of the EPL than anything. I'm sure both teams can and will play better throughout the season. I know we can - we weren't a patch on our second half performance against City.
  • VillaVilla Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't a great game today and both teams paid each other too much respect i thought. I wish MON would replace Petrov with Milner on the right of midfield and put Reo-Coker back in the middle which is his natural position to give the team alot more balance.
    Forum Member
    Not feeling particularly confident ahead of tomorrow's game...:eek:

Hopefully Cuellar will make his debut...also, I hope Milner makes his first start, because our best chance is trying to take the game to them. Both teams are stronger going forward than they are defending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fancy a high scoring draw...maybe 2-2....you never know with spurs! Last season in this fixture we were 4-1 up and end ending up drawing 4-4 :(
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow chaps.

Tottenham's defence is still as crap as it was last year so I have faith that your boys will capitalise on that.

Let's have another 4 by half time.

(Gooner).
    Forum Member
    We're unchanged from the Liverpool draw.

Fingers crossed.