Options

2014 BDO World Darts Championship Coverage

Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Coverage for this event will no longer be shared between BBC and ESPN.
ESPN (now owned by BT, and part of the BT Sports family) have dropped darts coverage meaning coverage of the event will be exclusive to the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/darts/25389914

_____

Good news for me as a darts fan.

Comments

• Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coverage for this event will no longer be shared between BBC and ESPN.
    ESPN (now owned by BT, and part of the BT Sports family) have dropped darts coverage meaning coverage of the event will be exclusive to the BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/darts/25389914

_____

Good news for me as a darts fan.

but how pool is the BBC, only the first semi final will be on a normal channel the other is on the red button..
  • Options
    AR1983AR1983 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but how pool is the BBC, only the first semi final will be on a normal channel the other is on the red button..

Thats a shame. They are prioritising the Women's Final on BBC TWO.

On the plus side, BBC TWO will now have Live Coverage of games in the Afternoons on Monday to Thursday between 1 and 4:15pm (they used to show delayed highlights of the previous nights matches in the afternoons).

Evening Sessions on the Red Button Channel with delayed highlights/darts extra after Newsnight.

Tony Green, Jim Proudfoot and Vassos Alexander commentating.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AR1983 wrote: »
    Thats a shame. They are prioritising the Women's Final on BBC TWO.

On the plus side, BBC TWO will now have Live Coverage of games in the Afternoons on Monday to Thursday between 1 and 4:15pm (they used to show delayed highlights of the previous nights matches in the afternoons).

Evening Sessions on the Red Button Channel with delayed highlights/darts extra after Newsnight.

Tony Green, Jim Proudfoot and Vassos Alexander commentating.

could they not put the evening on BBC3? and will we get Colin and Bobby in the evening on the red button?
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was announced weeks ago, that link is from a few weeks back. Its been discussed in the sports commentators thread for some time
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the weekend i thought they were only evening matches anyway. Also will their be chats in between or silence as normal ?
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    The real world championship finished last night. It's about time this one was put out of its misery.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or at least moved to a time before the PDC as it just comes across even worse with it being on the heels on the big boys. That said a hell of a lot of the guys in PDC get their break in the BDO so it is useful for growing the players.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    The real world championship finished last night. It's about time this one was put out of its misery.

It says it all when BT who are scrabbling around for sports rights to just about anything turn their nose up at this.

BBC showed their utter contempt for this tournament a couple of years back when they left a quarter final match shortly before the deciding set started show they could show a repeat of "Homes under the Hammer".

It's a shame really as I do not believe the standard is a million miles off the PDC - a large number of recent converts have more than held their own in the PDC - and the crowd actually are there for the darts.

Great to hear Tony Green will be back on. It's always top entertainment listening to how he refuses to acknowledge the PDC even exists. Would be good if the BBC can continue to use Nicho as he did a really top job on the radio at the PDC final.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone I know calls this the "hit the board" world championship!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or at least moved to a time before the PDC as it just comes across even worse with it being on the heels on the big boys. That said a hell of a lot of the guys in PDC get their break in the BDO so it is useful for growing the players.

Just remember without this tournament, John McDonald would be introducing Raymond van Barneveld as the ONE time champion of the world, Taylor as 14 times champion and Eric "The BDO is Mickey Mouse" Bristow wouldn't have one trophy in his house. Sky and the PDC love the BDO when it comes to ramping up their stats.

Most of these guys play for the fun of it so why not let them ?

Im a darts fan and to me darts is darts.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Coverage starts at 2.30pm and no Red Button coverage slated beforehand so it does seem the opening match of the event will not be shown on UK television for the third year in a row.

Afternoon sessions are all on network TV, which does leave some very poor looking evening sessions (when compared to the afternoon). If that is the price they want to pay for the coverage, so be it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coverage starts at 2.30pm and no Red Button coverage slated beforehand so it does seem the opening match of the event will not be shown on UK television for the third year in a row.

Afternoon sessions are all on network TV, which does leave some very poor looking evening sessions (when compared to the afternoon). If that is the price they want to pay for the coverage, so be it.

Well it will probably be more than last year as not on ESPN for most. I see the final last night was 50% down on 2013 final. The Taylor factor I am guessing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it will probably be more than last year as not on ESPN for most. I see the final last night was 50% down on 2013 final. The Taylor factor I am guessing

Still a bit shoddy that for three years they cant be arsed showing the first match, especially as in two of those years it was a mens match and there were two broadcasters involved rather than one :p

Aye I have seen that the peak figure was less than a million, and when the AVERAGE figure was well over a million last year it doesnt bode well when a 53 year old sex offender with low self esteem is keeping the figures high.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is the order of play Bradders ? I cannot find it. Only one which says which games are afternoon and evening. Not one with times
  • Options
    Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says a lot about PDC Final last night when BBC broadcast it on Radio 5 Live, first time a darts final had ever had such coverage. Very much doubt the same will done for the Lakeside equivilant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says a lot about PDC Final last night when BBC broadcast it on Radio 5 Live, first time a darts final had ever had such coverage. Very much doubt the same will done for the Lakeside equivilant.

They wont need to as the BDO one is live on BBC TV and will have 3 times the audience.

Don't you think its also clever marketing by the BBC ???? Have radio commentary of a darts final that most of the UK don't have access to just before they show a tournament that most of the UK can watch ?
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That isn't true actually, at least in terms of radio as a whole, although it may well have been a first for Radio 5 Live. Talk Radio broadcast commentary on the 2000 PDC World Darts Championship Final between Phil Taylor and Dennis Priestley, as well as the one hour head-to-head time trial between Taylor and the then-BDO World Champion Raymond van Barneveld that was televised by ITV2 in 1999 and (with the station now rebranded as talkSPORT) the whole of the PDC World Grand Prix in 2000. There was actually a thread about this in the Digital Spy radio section a few years back, which might be worth a read for anyone who is interested in this.

While this was the first radio darts commentary for just over 13 years, the sport does receive a fair amount of radio coverage in terms of updates. While they haven't done commentaries on darts since 2000, talkSPORT (along with numerous BBC and commercial local radio stations) carry syndicated updates on the PDC World Championship and a select few other PDC major events which are provided by the Dave Luddy International sports audio agency, their reporter for at least the last five years being Dan Dawson, while BBC Radio 5 Live always send a reporter to the BDO World Championship and used to have annual updates from the Circus Tavern and then the Alexandra Palace for the PDC worlds (or at least the bits that didn't overlap with the Lakeside) up until about five or six years ago. I'm not sure whether they even had a reporter at Ally Pally for the previous 15 days of this tournament prior to doing commentary on the final.

I doubt it proved to be the only factor in determining Radio 5 Live's decision to do commentary on last night's final, but one of their producers Mike Holt has tweeted quite a novel reason as to what prompted them to "sort it".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AR1983 wrote: »

Yeah I have that thanks, but I was after one with times and order of games etc. That just has the matches played that afternoon, they wont be in that order
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I have that thanks, but I was after one with times and order of games etc. That just has the matches played that afternoon, they wont be in that order

It's on the BDO website, you may have to go into news archive and go back to November if I recall.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I despair at this attitude. The BDO is the lifeblood of darts and needs to be supported.

Just take a look at how many of the most successful PDC players have come through the BDO ranks. Hard to find one who didn't.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sky commentators were just horrible at the PDC event. Just shows how Waddell and Gwynne were the voice(s) of darts, along with Tony Green.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I despair at this attitude. The BDO is the lifeblood of darts and needs to be supported.

Just take a look at how many of the most successful PDC players have come through the BDO ranks. Hard to find one who didn't.

I agree.

I far prefer the BDO. In fact, I have no interest in the PDC at all. It just seems to be a tournament watched by drunk yobs.

Friends of mine live near Sandhurst. Neither of them are darts fans, but a couple of years ago, were offered tickets to Lakeside. They went along not knowing what to expect and said they had a brilliant time there.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I agree.

I far prefer the BDO. In fact, I have no interest in the PDC at all. It just seems to be a tournament watched by drunk yobs.

Friends of mine live near Sandhurst. Neither of them are darts fans, but a couple of years ago, were offered tickets to Lakeside. They went along not knowing what to expect and said they had a brilliant time there.
    The crowd is irrelevant, in my view. The standard of the PDC is simply far higher - larger number of 180s, bigger check-outs, higher averages etc.
    Watching the BDO is akin to watching a couple of blokes having a go in the pub, and hitting a treble 20 is the exception rather than the norm.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Football League was there well before the Premier League and while nobody would call Cardiff the current "English" champions, it remains widely followed and is a good competition in its own right. The bickering does nobody any favours.

As for the broadcasting, great to see it exclusively back on the BBC. I doubt we'll be hearing the excellent John Part, which is a real shame as he stands out even more so now we no longer have Sid, Dave Lanning and John Gwynne on Sky.