Smooth Radio......this is not right....

wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find it a tad sad, and very insensitive that Dido and "white flag" was played today, with its lyrical content ....."I will go down with this ship", considering the recent tragic events with the vessel off the coast of South Korea.

Shouldn't this song be pulled for a while?

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should they ban every song which has lyrics that engages too every tragic event?
  • mmmmmmagicmmmmmmagic Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Ffs ...
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    wckartist wrote: »
    I find it a tad sad, and very insensitive that Dido and "white flag" was played today, with its lyrical content ....."I will go down with this ship", considering the recent tragic events with the vessel off the coast of South Korea.

NO!!!!!!!!
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad news for Bryan Ferry if all his songs get pulled too.
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very over dramatic! Jesus :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Hahahahaha, no.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    I have to agree bad taste not pulling this for a while due to the S Korean ferry disaster.
    Those of you making a joke of this should be ashamed of yourselves many children have lost their lives. I wonder how you would feel if it were your relatives?
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you pick up Smooth in South Korea?
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    I have to agree bad taste not pulling this for a while due to the S Korean ferry disaster.
    Those of you making a joke of this should be ashamed of yourselves many children have lost their lives. I wonder how you would feel if it were your relatives?
    Surely thoughtless rather than bad taste? No joking matter but would anyone listening in the UK make any connection with a line in a old song and a terrible current news event, I really doubt it.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smooth have only played it 6 times today. Global dont care if a member of the royal family died they woukd probably play a Queen song like i want to break free. I do agree though the songs lyrics are a tad bad esp as smooth news are going on about the ferry sinking.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smooth have only played it 6 times today. Global dont care if a member of the royal family died they woukd probably play a Queen song like i want to break free. I do agree though the songs lyrics are a tad bad esp as smooth news are going on about the ferry sinking.

:D:D .... Only 6 times.!! How many times do they usually play it? :o
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Should they ban every song which has lyrics that engages too every tragic event?

Maybe we should ban shocking grammar!>:(>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    It's a good job they don't play Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meat Loaf then. With all the car accidents that happen each day they'd bound to be offending someone!
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of absolute rubbish! I'm sorry, but all this Global bashing is getting silly now! I'm not a fan of any of their stations, because they don't appeal to me, but to make such a stupid statement as the above, is beyond believe, even on Digital Spy. Of course Global would adapt the music if a member of the Royal family died, stop talking rubbish!

Yes it is sad that that the ferry accident has resulted in such a loss of life, but there are things that happen every day that if we take this example of news resulting in songs being rested, it would be a full time job adapting playlists. For instance, there's been an avalanche on the slopes of Mount Everest killing 12, so do all radio stations stop playing Snow Patrol?

And anyway, the ship that Dido is singing about is a relationship, not an actual ship!
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the original poster.

I don't imagine they are being insensitive ( they probably didn't notice ) but they shouldn't be playing a song with those lyrics in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.

Will most people make a connection between the song and the news event? No. But for those who will, it makes a jarring juxtaposition in the 'relaxing' mood that Smooth should put you in.

I don't see a down side of resting the song for a few days. No-one notices a song that's not being played.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I think 10cc's Dreadlock Holiday should be banned during The Oscar Pistorius trial because it mentions cricket. We don't want to be reminded of that cricket bat, do we?

War Baby by Tom Robinson shouldn't be played, on the radio, in case a baby is born during one of the many conflicts, around the world, occurring at the moment.

The Theme from The Sting must be put on hold for a while due to the unfortunate incident involving Prime Minister Dave in Lanzarote.

That's how ridiculous this topic is!
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Scary - that exact song does come up in this article on how Radio 1 changed its playlist on 9/11. With the exact qoute: "Even the most innocuous lyric takes on a sinister undertone heard in obit mode. Dido's insipid and cheerless pop ballads make her perfect obit fodder, right up to the point when you realize White Flag - "I will go down with this ship" - might sound a tad insensitive in the wake of a ferry disaster."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/christopher-price/soundtracking-911_b_957331.html

I don't see it as a disaster unless it's played right after the news, but personally I would have removed it from the playlist for now.
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just proves the shortcomings of putting machines in charge of playlists instead of humans. Bring back a Smooth with caring and popular people in the studio...
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    Just proves the shortcomings of putting machines in charge of playlists instead of humans. Bring back a Smooth with caring and popular people in the studio...

Good idea it would make me want to listen again.
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »
    Just proves the shortcomings of putting machines in charge of playlists instead of humans
    There are some very ridiculous comments in this discussion....and the above quote is another. What you fail to mention is that every Selector or Powergold log requires - guess what - human input.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread bought to you courtesy of TOOTBOG (the Terminally Offended On The Behalf of Other Groups) ;-)

Thank god they didn't play Dancing On The Ceiling....
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people need to watch comedian Steve Hughes' routine on "what happens if people get offended?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs&t=3m18s
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »

If the disaster happened in the uk waters then perhaps, but not in a country 5,500 miles away.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    If the disaster happened in the uk waters then perhaps, but not in a country 5,500 miles away.

Spot on. There's way too many people these days who go out of their way to feel offended, either for themselves or on behalf of others, as if it marks them out as being in some way superior.