Options

Fantasy Football League

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
Forum Member
I was too young to remember the BBC Coverage but, I remember the 1998 World Cup ITV series. I have every episode on video and was just wondering what you guys thought about it?.

Comments

• Options
    WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The orignal series on BBC2 was excellent, but it outstayed its welcome after a few years and the jokes got a little tired.

I'm sure Jason Lee is still a big fan of it though.:)
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    I love Frank,

therefore loved Fantasy Football League!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love this - I still have a few old recordings on tape.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    A Phoenix from the flames for all you Gunners fans to remember when Arsenal actually won trophies..;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbSCF1eu0o
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore and miss this show.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this show on both the beeb and itv. I would love there to be some resurrection either during the World Cup or premier league season. They could easily base a premier league fantasy league around the show and I think it could definitely work, either on sky or the BBC who hold premier league tv rights and could show clips etc without blowing the budget

Didn't skinner and baddiel do a podcast for absolute radio based around football not long ago?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of me worries that in this PC world of ours, the show would offend at every turn. It belongs in the 90's. Tracking down the original episodes is quite hard work, but if you can find some from the first few series they are absolute gold

Best thing ever was Statto kung-fu kicking a bloke in the audience a la Cantona
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    Part of me worries that in this PC world of ours, the show would offend at every turn. It belongs in the 90's. Tracking down the original episodes is quite hard work, but if you can find some from the first few series they are absolute gold

I used to love this show, I miss it! I remember Statto in his pyjamas and dressing gown :D I also remember the Kung-fu kick!

Was it on FFL when either Frank or David said if you hold a grapefruit and dip your arm in custard it looks like the World Cup? Then on Phoenix from the Flames one of them did it :D And I remember another Phoenix from the Flames when they re-enacted Kevin Keegan getting sent off and in the background they made the Leeds keeper look like a chimp :D

And the late Jeff Astle used to sing at the end :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL

Astle singing the Prisoner Cell Block H theme was the funniest one for me. He was so bad!
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member

Not too much hard work although in parts some episodes even from the first series are up on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32EoVt0zrbI

Loved this when it was on, Jason Lee sketch was hilarious, it's because he was a crap striker why his career went down the pan not because of that sketch.
  • Options
    Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd show these on Dave. They still stand up today. I've got loads of the BBC and all the ITV episodes on VHS, just wish I could get my VCR to work on my TV :(
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too much hard work although in parts some episodes even from the first series are up on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32EoVt0zrbI

Loved this when it was on, Jason Lee sketch was hilarious, it's because he was a crap striker why his career went down the pan not because of that sketch.

was he the one they always called Pineapple head? And did he play for Forest?
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    was he the one they always called Pineapple head? And did he play for Forest?

Yes & yes, Lee became Forest main striker after Collymore left..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still some out there though.

Poor old Jason Lee! His confidence was utterly shot after Baddiel and Skinner went after him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saint And Greavsie Talk About The Endsleigh League As If It's Im......

.....portant!!
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    As a Forest fan, I must defend Jason Lee.

Yes, he was very limited, but we loved him when he was brought on to do what he was supposed to do - come on as a sub with 15 mins left to create havoc against tired defences. He was never meant to be a main striker.

When Collymore left most of the money was spent on two strikers, Kevin Campbell and Andrea Silenzi - however Campbell spent a year recovering from a back injury and Silenzi was utter, utter rubbish (much worse than Lee), which pushed Lee alongside Brian Roy (who was beginning to lose interest).

Despite Lee's limitations, he always gave 100%, and that's what we loved about him. Players like Collymore and Roy would fade from the game if things weren't going right, but Lee never would. Even if three successive shots hit the corner flag, he would never, ever stop trying.

One game, v Auxerre in the UEFA cup in France, Lee was magnificient. We were defending a one goal lead from the first leg, and played a 9-0-1 formation, with Lee as the loan striker. As soon as we got the ball it was pumped up to Lee who would keep it as long as he could. He was brilliant that night.

We Forest fans actually began the "He's Got A Pineapple On His Head" chant as an affectionate one, but B&S helped turned it into one of ridicule. When the stuff on Lee began he had actually put a run of decent games together (and in one season actually finished as our joint top league leading scorer), but the ridicule affected him, and he swiftly became utter gash. He was still a young lad at a time - 22 or 23 I think - and it must have been such a burden for him.

Eventually Campbell returned from injury and we signed Van Hooijdonk, Dean Saunders and Ian Moore and Lee was sold. He drifted back to his level of the lower divisions and (having shaved his dredds off) became a cult figure wherever he went. He was always one player who you could always rely upon to give everything he had.

There's no way Lee would have ever made it as a top-flight player, but he didn't deserve the ridicule B&S gave him. He was a very limited player, but not as bad as many people perceive him to be thanks to FF.

BTW I thought FF was ace and there are plenty of episodes on YT if you search.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. I never thought he was a terrible player, but as you say, out of his depth in the PL
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funniest clip of Baddiel and Skinner was when the camera cut to them in the crowd, faces tripping them, after Southgate missed his penalty and England got knocked out of the European Championships in 1996. Priceless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the sketch they do with Terry Venables and the England Squad, with Skinner's Matt Le Tissier an unwanted visitor, especially when they are playing I Spy, for something beginning with 'T'

Skinner - Is it, Tactics that are gonna lose us the European Championships?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the episode in series 1 when Jona Lewie guests in a controversial Anfield based skit?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah got all the series on dvd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have the Jona Lewie one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny seeing Eddie Large on series 1 where they show clips of his old shows, borderline racist by todays standard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got any series 1 on old vhs tapes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have managed to track down all of the episodes of this show now, bar one, Series 1, episode 17 which was aired on BBC2 6th May 1994 and which features Bob Mortimer and Karren Brady as guests, along with Jona Lewie singing at the end, which is depicted in this clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmCii_-ABT8.

I need the full episode of this to complete my entire collection of this show. If anyone can help me out, they would get DVD copies of every other episode of the show for nothing.

Please PM or email me if you can help.