Options

Kate Bush 1979 Christmas special (featuring Peter Gabriel) on BBC4 tonight!!!!

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
12.10 tonight BBC4. I'm so excited about seeing this again! Haven't seen it since it was first shown 30 years ago. If I remember rightly, it includes some dramatised performances of songs from Never For Ever, and a duet with Peter Gabriel. Yippeee! :)

Comments

• Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info; I would never have noticed this otherwise :)
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 a day wrote: »
    Thanks for the info; I would never have noticed this otherwise :)

I was so close to missing it myself...only just spotted it tucked away in the tiny print in the listings magazine! I would have been devastated to miss it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,336
    Forum Member
    Kate's a legend..she knocks spots off all the female singers currently charting
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peters very good on this. Ive never seen him play piano though before. I
    wonder if his old mate from Genesis ever showed him how to play I suppose if your childhood friend is Tony Banks you will pick up on a few things :D
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen this before.

A truly astounding performance.

Talent, grace and class of the highest order.

And Peter Gabriel looks so young and baby faced:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was 16 in 1979 and a big Kate fan! This is making me feel quite old. But she is absolutely amazing..
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen this before. It's very unusual for a Christmas special, I suppose 1979 wasn't exactly the most upbeat of years with all the strikes, power cuts etc.

I loved seeing all tonights archive shows. I had no idea any of it was on until I stumbled across it in the EPG, so it's a lovely surprise but I'm sure it would of got a lot more viewers with some promotion on the bigger BBC channels.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cool: She's doing 'This Womans Work' shortly.I'm taping it,it's that good.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still sends a shiver down the spine 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes' and she wrote it at 16 years old.
    Astonishing.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I love Kate Bush.She's a real recluse isn't she?.
    Does she live in Wiltshire somewhere?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Still sends a shiver down the spine 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes' and she wrote it at 16 years old.
    Astonishing.

That track is amongst my ten favourite singles. It's somehow poignant and uplifting at the same time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Just seen it for the first time and I'm glad I saw it as it covers my favourite era (mainly Never For Ever) but I have to say it was incredibly cheesy.

Those awful dance routines, cross between Pans People and PlayAway, the literal take on the songs, those naff video clips - it becomes a bit jarring when you have these songs of incredible sophistication but I guess it was a much more innocent time.

But it was still good fun to watch, especially this version of DWBMA, one of my personal favourites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Brilliant singer, awesome songwriter.
    Vastly under estimated British talent.
    My first love.( dont tell my wife)
  • Options
    mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Arrrrgh Missed it.
    I hope it is repeated. :-(
  • Options
    mariegriffithsmariegriffiths Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00k35n4/Kate/
    Phew it will be on the iplayer soon.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    Just seen it for the first time and I'm glad I saw it as it covers my favourite era (mainly Never For Ever) but I have to say it was incredibly cheesy.

Those awful dance routines, cross between Pans People and PlayAway, the literal take on the songs, those naff video clips - it becomes a bit jarring when you have these songs of incredible sophistication but I guess it was a much more innocent time.

But it was still good fun to watch, especially this version of DWBMA, one of my personal favourites.

You've got to be kidding.
    1979 was a time where many people were probably a lot more politically and socially aware than many people are today. You think that people were somehow 'innocent' compared to now?

In 30 years time from now you'll probably have people feeling superior and looking back at 2009 describing it as being an 'innocent time'.

I'd say that there's a higher frequency of stuff which you'd call cheesey going on right now but you probably can't see it because you're in the middle of it.

I can't believe that somebody in 2009 is looking back at something from a few decades ago calling it cheesey as though 2009 is somehow NOT cheesey in any way at all.

I suppose if you think that everything artistically and musically now has to be slick and take itself very seriously then I can see why you may think that.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00k35n4/Kate/
    Phew it will be on the iplayer soon.
    :) Up Now
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    lil lexie wrote: »

Some of those of us who were around at the time thought her dance routines were naff and cheesy. Pan's People were of the same icky ilk.

First time she was on TOTP singing "Wuthering Heights" she bottled out of the dance thing and just wandered around in a black outfit if I remember correctly. Wish she had always bottled out myself. :)

She went down downhill from there - 'running down that hill' ? :D
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    Never seen this before. It's very unusual for a Christmas special, I suppose 1979 wasn't exactly the most upbeat of years with all the strikes, power cuts etc.
    There were no power cuts or strikes in 1979. They occurred a couple of years earlier (winter of discontent) and during the 3 day week period in 1974.

It wasn't unusual then to prepare special programmes of quality or surprise interest shown on Xmas Day evening TV, although this was a one-off of its kind. There were hardly any repeats (apart from The Great Escape) and TV was well worth watching compared to the dismal quality and endless repeats shown over the Xmas period over the past decade and more. Programme makers have given up making the effort now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    First time she was on TOTP singing "Wuthering Heights" she bottled out of the dance thing and just wandered around in a black outfit if I remember correctly.
    Out of the 3 times she performed on TOTP, 1st was as you said, black dress and singing live:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw2EOnbFofE

(in your words she bottled out of dancing, but she sang live on totp 1979 which was a bit of a rarity in itself, and she didn't bottle out of dancing in the later tour did she!)

The other 2 appearances, not sure in what order are at the piano, again singing live:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLgjIAzpvqU

and one dancing in the white dress, but lip synching.

The first one was repeated for Kate's fourth TOTP 'appearance'.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another gem from BBC4. It's been on my scheduled recordings for a week now.

I love BBC4, shows some great stuff these days.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had never heard of this show until last night. Kate's show along with the others shown last night is a worthy slice of tv history.

I agree about the dancing but that was a big part of her act, too much like stage school for me but it did make more of the show for all that. I 'liked' the bit in one song where a table got knocked over but Kate had to pick it up and move it again as it was in the line of the camera. :)

Nice to see an early glimpse of Peter Gabriel too but no idea what he was singing, I thought he'd play Solsbury Hill as that was his best know Christmas song.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might remind people who this now pretty much forgotten (or getting that way, due to her inactivity and stubbornness) artist was back in the day when she was prepared to make an effort (and wear skirts with slits up both legs, interesting, and appear on ABBA In Switzerland, etc.) for fame and fortune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4444 wrote: »
    Might remind people who this now pretty much forgotten (or getting that way, due to her inactivity and stubbornness) artist was back in the day when she was prepared to make an effort (and wear skirts with slits up both legs, interesting, and appear on ABBA In Switzerland, etc.) for fame and fortune.

Quote from 'The Metro' (free London newspaper) reviewing Kate's part of the 'Queens of British Pop' documentary:

"You only had to hear Michael Aspel ask Kate Bush 'one last question about your hair' to know why the Holy Babooshka, Britain's greatest singer-songwriter, kissed the media circus goodbye"