Options

Music channels

Comments

• Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    Chart Show's new look is one of the best I've seen. Wish they would sack Stephanie Faleo though as she seems to hate proper music.

I have a feeling that SubTV Music is coming soon as it was licensed by ofcom last month (I posted on the previous page) so maybe it could replace CS Dance or Planet Pop.

I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely a good standard and refreshing to see given the other music channels have frozen in time. Chart Show has always been a solid channel but CSC's other offering leaves a lot to be desired for. Sometimes they have "great channels" and axe them. Axing NME bad move, buying Starz TV was a commercial move but a tacky channel. Then they create good forums for Scuzz which were busy and axe them too. Plus picture quality on there music channels drained after True Entertainment was squeezed onto there transponder.
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chart Show's new look is one of the best I've seen. Wish they would sack Stephanie Faleo though as she seems to hate proper music.

I have a feeling that SubTV Music is coming soon as it was licensed by ofcom last month (I posted on the previous page) so maybe it could replace CS Dance or Planet Pop.

Yes whilst they at it rid of that Jake Quickenden too !

SubTV Music ? I hope it has a varied selection of music would love a channel that plays a broader selection such as Alternative , Chill out and World/International Music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen any proper Indie on there.

The Vault is good though as I like the cheesy music but they should focus on cheesy and forgotten pop from 1990 until Now.

They do play all the usual The Killers, Mumford and Sons and some newer bands. That said NME TV was a channel you could "tune in anytime" and get that sort of music. CSC doesn't offer that anymore. Scuzz is the only different offering they have now.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go that far but it's definitely a good standard and refreshing to see given the other music channels have frozen in time. Chart Show has always been a solid channel but CSC's other offering leaves a lot to be desired for. Sometimes they have "great channels" and axe them. Axing NME bad move, buying Starz TV was a commercial move but a tacky channel. Then they create good forums for Scuzz which were busy and axe them too. Plus picture quality on there music channels drained after True Entertainment was squeezed onto there transponder.

1: NME is a dying brand.
    2: Starz has always been a popular channel so it's good that they're not changing it.
    3: Scuzz forums were terrible and Facebook/Twitter is the way forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do play all the usual The Killers, Mumford and Sons and some newer bands. That said NME TV was a channel you could "tune in anytime" and get that sort of music. CSC doesn't offer that anymore. Scuzz is the only different offering they have now.

The Killers and Mumford & Sons are mainstream and are shown on pop channels all the time.

Scuzz shows a lot of proper rock and metal that you don't see on Kerrang which is just pop punk and mainstream pop rock like Paramore.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    Thats true - why the sudden change in adjusting its logo? (don't like it if I am honest its too far in!) - Viva is going "in picture" whilst Bauer channels have now gone to the "corners" whats next VH1/MTV channels to be "in picture" next? (you all probably know the ratio's better than me lol)

I wonder if they planning on putting the name of the program on the left of the VIVA logo instead of bottom or the other way around.
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1: NME is a dying brand.
    2: Starz has always been a popular channel so it's good that they're not changing it.
    3: Scuzz forums were terrible and Facebook/Twitter is the way forward.

Starz was Fizz at one time too using the same graphics layout too !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVD wrote: »
    Starz was Fizz at one time too using the same graphics layout too !

I know, I like the fact that it hasn't changed much. Although it would be great if they changed the music e.g.

8am-10pm: Hits from the last 5 years
    10pm-3am: Party Hits/Uncensored music videos
    3am-8am: Unsigned (weekdays) Up Your Bass (Weekends)

Channel AKA had a Top 10 Channel U classics countdown the other day.
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Planet Pop closing down?

They've been removed from the Freesat EPG and haven't updated Twitter or Facebook since April.

I believe they've just taken themselves off of Freesat but will continue on SKY/online at aatw.com

What music channels do you watch most?

Has anyone noticed that Heat has become a copy of The Vault now?.

Clubland and then whatever has something on I like or potentially have something on.

Vault have gone downhill of late - same songs on repeat - Scherzinger - Wet, Kelly Rowland - Like this? Liberty X etc amongst others
    It's actually a decent offering it shows some indie music and early 00's better than cheesy pop on The Vault. That said it replaced a good channel under Sky days Bliss was a decent channel. The channel as it is now offers more than many other channels but I do agree graphics are rubbish.

Vault have got worse. Playlists vastly reduced, same programmes on daily and now Sabrina The Teenage Witch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope so!

Tonight on Clubland from 7pm to 6am, various DJ's in the booth.

Great if you like that sort of thing, but watching a bunch of old DJ's on decks is kind of boring and they aren't that good.

Just 11 hours of it - looks like no Clubland for me tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so!

Tonight on Clubland from 7pm to 6am, various DJ's in the booth.

Great if you like that sort of thing, but watching a bunch of old DJ's on decks is kind of boring and they aren't that good.

Just 11 hours of it - looks like no Clubland for me tonight.

The DJ thing isn't really my thing but it's something different plus the music is the sort of thing you don't usually hear on music channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DJ thing isn't really my thing but it's something different plus the music is the sort of thing you don't usually hear on music channels.

Yes, I agree.

Great for those who like it and great for Clubland doing something different - just not 11 hours non-stop :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree.

Great for those who like it and great for Clubland doing something different - just not 11 hours non-stop :blush:

I prefer it when Clubland show classics. The weekend before last was Proper Clubland Classics and it felt like Clubland from around 5 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer it when Clubland show classics. The weekend before last was Proper Clubland Classics and it felt like Clubland from around 5 years ago.

Yes, me too.

I hammered the hell out of Cascada, if you excuse the term and have done all week as they have 6 on the playlist at the moment at various times.

I wish they could mix it up, sometimes Classic, sometimes current - I emailed them, but they never reply.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VH1 is having a Latin themed week from 9th June, but don't expect salsa or samba music! There's just lots of Jennifer Lopez, Shakira and Pitbull. Themes and programmes include:

Top 50 Fierce Fiesta
    Pitbull vs Latin All Stars
    J Lo vs Latin All Stars
    Enrique vs. Shakira
    Behind The Music: Ricky Martin
    Behind The Music: Pitbull

It's rare to see Behind The Music on VH1 UK now, even though it's a VH1 production. Most episodes are on Sky Arts instead.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they planning on putting the name of the program on the left of the VIVA logo instead of bottom or the other way around.

Why since they are keeping altogether like "MTV" why not they just shove it up right next to the logo

ie

VIVA (Now) Scrubs (if you can imagine it and know where I am putting it), this may as well be applied to the dated VH1 too as they too have info at the bottom of its logo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VH1 is having a Latin themed week from 9th June, but don't expect salsa or samba music! There's just lots of Jennifer Lopez, Shakira and Pitbull. Themes and programmes include:

Top 50 Fierce Fiesta
    Pitbull vs Latin All Stars
    J Lo vs Latin All Stars
    Enrique vs. Shakira
    Behind The Music: Ricky Martin
    Behind The Music: Pitbull

It's rare to see Behind The Music on VH1 UK now, even though it's a VH1 production. Most episodes are on Sky Arts instead.

Not much new there then in the VH1 department .... Ricky Martin really and the Behind The Music wow its a first its returned back on VH1 and as you said its on Sky Arts as well as other MTV stations use to be either MTV or MTV Live!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody else miss the 80's music on music channels? I don't mean the odd bit of cheesy pop on Heart from that era but remember all the music The Hits use to play on classic hits weekend? Dire straits to Aha?

I'm surprised they don't play them as songs like 'Take on me' will be around forever.

I wish they played more obscure tracks and artists from 70's-90's including the dance tracks, I just find it that music channels (call them what you like) but their playlists are that safe its sacred to touch songs that either never charted or artists they use to play but "slag" them off for the sake of it!

ie UK Hot40 - sorry can't play song "too old" for play on the likes of The Box - but yet you play the song happily on Heat/Magic (using Bauer as an example) - it really shows how out of touch most of these channels really are - they expect all viewers to like what they broadcast whilst alienating other viewers (nothing new there)
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member

You said it!
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic at it again!! "It Takes Two - 40 Fabulous Duets playing "Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil Kim & Mya with Missy Elliott "Lady Marmalade"

If anyone has an abacus Magic's team could do with one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Magic at it again!! "It Takes Two - 40 Fabulous Duets playing "Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil Kim & Mya with Missy Elliott "Lady Marmalade"

If anyone has an abacus Magic's team could do with one.

thats not a duet - thats a quartette! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vault have got worse. Playlists vastly reduced, same programmes on daily and now Sabrina The Teenage Witch.

It's not the same channel it was when it was Video Vault, The Vault and with classic chart show and old 80's tunes and modern classics. It was very much a TMF of the day on Sky and catered for all.

Now it's caught onto the Big Reunion and hopes this cheesy pop will come back. Spice Girls and Girls Aloud have gone out of fashion now as have Five. They were all Z listers The Vault brought back.

There obsession with cheesy pop puzzles me. I've not seen much demand for it other than ITV2's reality show. Radio ect.. all play chart music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the same channel it was when it was Video Vault, The Vault and with classic chart show and old 80's tunes and modern classics. It was very much a TMF of the day on Sky and catered for all.

Now it's caught onto the Big Reunion and hopes this cheesy pop will come back. Spice Girls and Girls Aloud have gone out of fashion now as have Five. They were all Z listers The Vault brought back.

There obsession with cheesy pop puzzles me. I've not seen much demand for it other than ITV2's reality show. Radio ect.. all play chart music.

I've said before that The Vault as a pop channel is great but I agree that it's too repetitive. This week I've seen 'Stuck' by Stacie Orrico at least 3 times per day. They need to delve deeper into the Vault and play some more pop videos from 1990+ that haven't been played for a while. Classic chart show repeats were terrible and 80s music is always on Vintage TV, Heart and sometimes Magic so we don't any more 80s music.

I think The Vault should become more interactive, cut down on the Big Reunion shows, let people make suggestions for videos and shuffle the playlists a bit so the same videos don't come on at the same time every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could add another 2 channels oddly obsessed with "the big reunion" stuff - VH1/Heat - why?? I watched it once and it felt staged from the way I viewed but oh I forgot these channels "crave" it for some odd reason :o

I admit I liked Five back in the day but now it comes across as cringe TV - its like all these "acts" are now sucked into the whole persona of being "famous for 15 mins" all over again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a channel that bans the following people from being played.

Pitbull
    Rihanna
    Jessie J
    Beyonce
    Jay Z
    One Direction
    Justin Bieber
    Conor Maynard
    Rita Ora
    Olly Murs

@Linkinpark875, you mentioned TMF. The only thing I miss about that channel is the Matchmaker games during music videos and the fact they showed Drawn Together and Wondershowzen.