Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

DAB FM Radio Aerial Socket Confusion

Old 13-05-2009, 22:39
Hifichoice
Forum Member

I need help with getting the right cable and connectors. I have replaced my broken FM hi-fi tuner with a DAB/FM tuner. Unpacking the tuner, I have found that I can not use a standard aerial cable (as used for TV) as the tuner side uses a screw-on connection similar as for satellite. I used to use my old FM tuner with my secondary TV socket. I need to buy a new cable and have decided to use the dedicated DAB/FM socket on the Triplex wall plate installed in my new build flat. The plate has also TV (which I use for my TV) and satellite connections.

However, the DAB/FM connection on the wall plate seems have a non-standard connection. I have a link showing the type of wallplate.

http://shop.satelliteonline.co.uk/tr...ates-130-p.asp

Though there a hole in the centre of the socket for a plug-like connector to be inserted, the surrounding area has no gap but a smooth black metal obstructive surface which prevents plugs from being screwed in. This is why I have used the previous tuner with my other separate TV aerial socket instead until now.

I have checked this forum and other sites but can get no guidance on the type of lead I need to get from stores like Maplins, especially the connector needed for the wall plate. Thanks.
Hifichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-05-2009, 22:51
woodysdad
Inactive Member

Go to MAplins...they'll help!
woodysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 23:27
Andy Carlton
Inactive Member

Just chop the end off and fix a standard TV plug on the end.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223589
Andy Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 23:39
Niranjaniz
Forum Member

so you need a satellite male type connection on your DAB radio side and a male coaxial on your wall socket.

I actually have such cable (male F-type to male coaxial) to pick up analogue Virgin straight to the TV but this was supplied by virgin and can't seem to find it online, the closest I can see is this and then simple attach a male to male coupler into your wall and plug the new cable into that.
Niranjaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 23:54
chrisjr
Forum Member

Ahh well there is the problem

Maplins was a fictional Holiday camp created for a popular TV comedy programme many years ago. Now if you went to Maplin on the other hand and asked them to exchange a fiver for a QQ74R (plus a penny) then you would be a bit more successful perhaps

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29533
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 11:40
stephenejones

On the same subject, so perhaps use to someone here...

I got a new FM/DAB seperates tuner a while back myself (Sony SDB900), and found that after getting the relevant F-connector to co-ax lead, my reception was pretty patchy through my existing Freeview/wideband aerial.

Rather reluctant to get yet another replacement aerial mounted on the roof, I ended up taking a pot-shot at one of these and it's really doing the business:

Pure telescopic 8-section aerial
http://www.pureservicecentre.co.uk/a...e_Aerials.html
stephenejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 12:25
random_man
Forum Member

I got a new FM/DAB seperates tuner a while back myself (Sony SDB900), and found that after getting the relevant F-connector to co-ax lead, my reception was pretty patchy through my existing Freeview/wideband aerial.
Patchy! I'm suprised you picked up much at all!

If you did install a proper FM/DAB aerial on the roof, you'd notice an ever bigger difference over that telescopic aerial you've got.
random_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 12:25
Orthicon
Forum Member

On the same subject, so perhaps use to someone here...

Rather reluctant to get yet another replacement aerial mounted on the roof, I ended up taking a pot-shot at one of these and it's really doing the business:

Pure telescopic 8-section aerial
http://www.pureservicecentre.co.uk/a...e_Aerials.html
Yes, that's because Freeview uses the same frequencies as analogue TV (Bands 4 and 5) but not DAB (Band 3). In strong reception areas, you can sometimes get away with using a UHF aerial for DAB but in moderate to weak areas, you'll need a separate Band 3 Yagi.
Orthicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 14:11
stephenejones

Patchy! I'm suprised you picked up much at all!

If you did install a proper FM/DAB aerial on the roof, you'd notice an ever bigger difference over that telescopic aerial you've got.
I must admit, I didn't know the technicalities re. FM/DAB and Freeview aerials - useful to know.

I'll re-look into it at some point, although I get everything listed for my area as it is with the telescopic one.
stephenejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 19:28
Nick_G
Forum Member

Ahh well there is the problem

Maplins was a fictional Holiday camp created for a popular TV comedy programme many years ago. Now if you went to Maplin on the other hand and asked them to exchange a fiver for a QQ74R (plus a penny) then you would be a bit more successful perhaps

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29533
Yes I use one of these for my Sony XDR-F1HD tuner as it has an F-socket input. Works fine.
Nick_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:23
Hifichoice
Forum Member

Thanks for the advice (let's not quibble about the "s" in Maplin or not). However I tried the a TV type male connector in the slot. If you see the photo from the website I posted, the DAB/FM connection has dark shading where there is a metal plate sorrounding the hole in the middle. If you look at a standard TV input, there is a space. I can't get a male TV type plug into this wall connection because of this. I tried all this before searching the web and then posting the question on this forum earlier this week.
Hifichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:48
ColinGodfree
Forum Member

Thanks for the advice (let's not quibble about the "s" in Maplin or not). However I tried the a TV type male connector in the slot. If you see the photo from the website I posted, the DAB/FM connection has dark shading where there is a metal plate sorrounding the hole in the middle. If you look at a standard TV input, there is a space. I can't get a male TV type plug into this wall connection because of this. I tried all this before searching the web and then posting the question on this forum earlier this week.
If you look at the back of a video recorder you will see the same 2 sockets a lot of RF video to TV cables have plugs that fit the hollow centre one end and a pin the other you can also get adapters that convert from one to the other from Maplins or Wilkinsons
ColinGodfree is offline   Reply With Quote