Options

There's no such thing as a free lunch

clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
Forum Member
A while back a company accidentially paid one of their employees wages into my bank account, they realised this and contacted me to get the money back. Being an honest sort of course I obliged and to say thanks they sent me £50 worth of vouchers to spend in their pub chain. The pubs served food so I literally got a few free lunches. (I think they were liquid ones though!)

Also if you buy a boots meal deal everyday you can eventually get a free lunch with your advantage points.

So that saying is basically rubbish :D

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you spend anything other than just £50 worth of vouchers at the pub chain? Or do you intend to?

The boots meal thing... you have to spend to get the "free" lunch. Look at it from the pov that you're just paying in advance.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to a job interview the other day and they gave me a free lunch before it.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    Also if you buy a boots meal deal everyday you can eventually get a free lunch with your advantage points.
    You get the points as payment for allowing Boots to datamine your shopping habits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I went to a job interview the other day and they gave me a free lunch before it.

That was in "payment" for you attending the interview. Or you could call it a reward I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    You get the points as payment for allowing Boots to datamine your shopping habits.

Ah yes. That too.
  • Options
    GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I was little I used to get free everything from my parents
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bookends wrote: »
    That was in "payment" for you attending the interview. Or you could call it a reward I guess.

Maybe I'll just ask for the money next time :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soup kitchens, salvation army
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You still have to move to get to the place where free lunch is served so you probably had to spend money on the food a couple of days before to fuel the muscles; you will have had to buy the clothes to wear in the pub to eat the lunch; and no doubt pay to get there or back if you didn't walk, so what was free about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a free lunch once from one of our customers (I worked in a bank, customer was a well-known sandwich chain). It was just a few days before Christmas, and I walked in, expecting to pay - as you do. Luckily the manager was serving and she knew my face (and uniform). It was a case of "Merry Christmas and that's on me!" It was just a little token of kindness, but it made my day. :)
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoodMikey wrote: »
    when I was little I used to get free everything from my parents

you spoiled little fu**er :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    you spoiled little fu**er :mad: :mad:

Did your parents make you go down the mines when you were little or something?
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

nah - My parents were nice (like Mikeys it seems!)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=735

Heinlein was right. Your lunch was free from your PoV, but someone somewhere paid for it.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do mystery shopping and quite often get a free lunch. I have to do a short questionnaire afterwards but I get paid to do that as well.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

Luxury. We used to dream of having a pit.
    /montypython

Actually, sorry to be depressing, but some people nowadays do. :(
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We get a free lunch at work every week day and breakfast at weekends, it's not always the best of meals but it's free. We also get unlimted free tea/coffee and squash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thread title should be, "Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a free lunch."
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got 3 months' free LoveFilm sub. I can watch the DVDs at lunchtime, if I want.

Does that count?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get free (to me) lunches and dinner when working away, though they've recently put a cap of £35 per day on it which does cramp the wine menu a bit
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    We had a training course at work cancel at the last minute. Lunch had already been delivered for the 13 people... so my boss and I had as much sandwiches as we wanted and are still eating the crisps/cakes and drinking the juice every day ;)

This happens at least once a month :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »

I'm not really bothered. They send me vouchers for money off things I actually buy and bonus points for things I buy. At the end of the year I've collected enough points to do my Christmas shopping there. Fantastic!
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am. :)
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,844
    Forum Member
    At my workplace (school) us staff get a free lunch everyday - not soggy chips either, a proper spread. One of the perks of the job as saves me a lot over a year in buying lunch or making my own to take in.
  • Options
    strings of lifestrings of life Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    clarribo wrote: »
    A while back a company accidentially paid one of their employees wages into my bank account, they realised this and contacted me to get the money back. Being an honest sort of course I obliged and to say thanks they sent me £50 worth of vouchers to spend in their pub chain. The pubs served food so I literally got a few free lunches. (I think they were liquid ones though!)

So that saying is basically rubbish :D
    On the other hand, if you hadn't obliged, would they have taken the case to court and say that you are effectively stealing from them? :confused: