Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Teenage boy -stretch marks.

Old 24-05-2009, 13:48
KnifeEdge
Forum Member

My son who is 15 has developed stretch marks across his back just below the rib area.It started off with just one 2cm line last year, and now he has maybe 10 which are purple.

He is very athletic, has never had a spare inch of fat on him in his life, and they have developed in a really odd area. its not as if his back has suddenly got muscly and I could understand why the skin might stretch!

I am just bemused as to why he has them. If and when I have to take him to the docs for anything important I will ask about them, but anyone got any bright ideas??
KnifeEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-05-2009, 14:04
ForestChav
Forum Member

It's normally just a side-effect of growing and they'll tone down, but if you're worried about it best to get a GP to look at them...
ForestChav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 14:10
carax
Forum Member

Yeah, he's obviously just grown a lot rather quickly - stretchmarks are more common in teenagers than you might think.

They will eventually fade to thin silvery lines which are barely noticeable, but if he's self-conscious about them meantime Bio Oil and Palmers Cocoa Butter range for stretch marks are supposed to be very good.
carax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 14:13
ohmygosh
Forum Member

My son who is 15 has developed stretch marks across his back just below the rib area.It started off with just one 2cm line last year, and now he has maybe 10 which are purple.

He is very athletic, has never had a spare inch of fat on him in his life, and they have developed in a really odd area. its not as if his back has suddenly got muscly and I could understand why the skin might stretch!

I am just bemused as to why he has them. If and when I have to take him to the docs for anything important I will ask about them, but anyone got any bright ideas??
He is growing, that's all! Now is the time to make sure he moisturisers on a regular basis, stretch can only be removed by laser and then not even guarantee of removal but with oil and or cream they will fade as another poster has mentioned. He could also look at increasing his omega 3 intake in his diet!

ohmygosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 14:16
KnifeEdge
Forum Member

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I know all about stretch marks, I have plenty! But at least I know why I have mine! Being overweight and following pregnancies! deep joy!

My son is a smidgen over 6ft 1, and yes has grown a fair bit in the last year or so, but its just the odd location of the stretch marks that has me bewildered!

My son isnt bothered about them, as he's not the one who sees them!
Old 24-05-2009, 14:21
ohmygosh
Forum Member

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately I know all about stretch marks, I have plenty! But at least I know why I have mine! Being overweight and following pregnancies! deep joy!

My son is a smidgen over 6ft 1, and yes has grown a fair bit in the last year or so, but its just the odd location of the stretch marks that has me bewildered!

I *think* that part of the body is a relatively common place for boys/men to get stretch marks! especially guys who work out.
Old 24-05-2009, 14:45
ForestChav
Forum Member

Thanks guys!

Yeah, weird. But some lads grow a lot at that age - I was about 5'4 at the start of year 10 and by the time I was 16 (beginning of year 11) I was about 6'

It'll sort itself out.
I *think* that part of the body is a relatively common place for boys/men to get stretch marks! especially guys who work out.
Yes, provided he's physically fit and healthy - which he seems to be - I wouldn't worry much.
Old 24-05-2009, 14:50
spoty
Forum Member

It's just nature, I don't know why we all want to be 'perfect'? Not directed at you op.
spoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 14:54
Josiepop
Inactive Member

It's normal, get him some bio oil, it will help them fade out through time.
My 16 yr old has stretch marks on his thighs and upper arms
Josiepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 14:55
KnifeEdge
Forum Member

It's just nature, I don't know why we all want to be 'perfect'? Not directed at you op.
We are attracted to physical perfection, it would suggest that the person is healthy, all the better for reproducing with!

Unfortunately THATS just nature too!
Old 24-05-2009, 14:59
Hotbunz
Forum Member

I wouldn't waste your money on Palmer's or Bio Oil. I've tried both and they've done nothing for my stretch marks.
Hotbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 15:17
birdsong
Forum Member

My teenage son got big stretch marks up the small of his back. It was just due to his growth spurt.

I would recommend Bio Oil. Its a bit on the pricey side but it really faded my son's marks and you wouldn't know they were there if you just casually looked at him now.
birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 19:00
lizzydripping25
Forum Member

My son was exactly the same - thin as a rake, not an ounce of spare flesh on him - but stretch marks in the same place as your son. He just seemed to have a major growth spurt!

They dont bother him and I agree with the poster who said the oils etc dont work. They will fade in time.

My daughter had them too - also on her boobs!!!!!

If you dont make a 'thing' about them then he wont be bothered either.
lizzydripping25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 19:06
KnifeEdge
Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Its good to know that other people have experienced the same thing.

Boychild isnt that bothered by them, he's too interested in working on his pecs!
Old 24-05-2009, 19:16
ForestChav
Forum Member

Let him (though we weren't shown the gym until end of year 9 at school, even though my voice was still high then :S) - provided he doesn't overdo it whilst he's growing he won't harm himself and the better fitness will always be good for him!

Weirdly, I probably grew quicker than him at that age and never seemed to get them
Old 24-05-2009, 19:23
ohmygosh
Forum Member

Let him (though we weren't shown the gym until end of year 9 at school, even though my voice was still high then :S) - provided he doesn't overdo it whilst he's growing he won't harm himself and the better fitness will always be good for him!

Weirdly, I probably grew quicker than him at that age and never seemed to get them
I believe it to do with an array of factors including genes! U just got lucky mate
Old 26-05-2009, 00:51
hobnob_monster
Forum Member

I had stretch marks on my back for a short period when I was growing up. Nothing to worry about - they'll fade completely in time.
hobnob_monster is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 01:12
upintheskylfc
Forum Member

My teenage son got big stretch marks up the small of his back. It was just due to his growth spurt.

I would recommend Bio Oil. Its a bit on the pricey side but it really faded my son's marks and you wouldn't know they were there if you just casually looked at him now.
it works wonders, i had them on my legs and ar*e
upintheskylfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 01:40
whip
Forum Member

This is common but for some reason not talked about in the growing process, there has been a fair few people caught out wondering if this is normal or not. I think it should be put into the leaflets along with hair in strange places, voice dropping and finding a new friend to play with.
whip is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 12:08
GoodMikey
Inactive Member

I like my stretch marks, sign of manliness!
GoodMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 14:21
birdsong
Forum Member

This is common but for some reason not talked about in the growing process, there has been a fair few people caught out wondering if this is normal or not. I think it should be put into the leaflets along with hair in strange places, voice dropping and finding a new friend to play with.
Excellent point. I had no idea youngsters could get stretch marks in this way and we ended up going to the doctors because my son was worried about them.

Stretch marks were the last thing he needed at the time and I wish there had been information about them as you say so he at least knew they were common to youngsters his age.
birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote