Options

Sony Freeview download coming up next week?

CPNCPN Posts: 763
Forum Member
✭✭
(Wasn't sure which section to post this in so I have repeated it here. Apologies if this wrong.)

I noticed on the DTG Engineering Channel Over-air Download Schedule page that the following is coming up next week...

Mon 06-07-2009 1am to Tue 07-07-2009 midnight
Sony KDL XXE4000/KDL XXW4000 2.19.14509 P
(and then through till Sat 11-07-2009 9am)

...and wondered if anyone had heard anything on the grapevine as to what it is for? (fixes, new features etc etc)

Colin

Comments

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    CPN.
    Thanks for the info.
    Just hope the software wasn't written by a certain PVR manufacturer !!
    Regards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    This software will solve an issue that occurred earlier in the year causing sets to not display a picture or mis-sort channels after an auto tune. Sets that were not re-tuned showed no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the update came down fine on my KDL-32W4000...

Apart from all the new version numbers (which bears absolutely NO resemblance to the version number on the DTT engineering site! lol!), haven't noticed any obvious differences yet; other than a subjective feeling that switching anything via the remote seems a lot "crisper" for some reason...
  • Options
    abennabenn Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Yes, I got the update on my KDL-40W4000 this morning. When I put the TV into standby, it asked for confirmation of the S/W update. Didn't notice any changes to menus etc except in Digital Tuning - Technical Set-up - System Info

New S/W version - E.J-PT-BE-C.T.PS-A.CV.T

Old S/W ver was - B.N-EJ-CS-C.T.GC-A.CV.T
  • Options
    Forum Member
    New software last night to my KDL 32W4000 also.
    Not noticed anything different so rang my local Sony Centre to enquire --- they knew nothing about any software update (or so they said) and other people had phoned earlier today.
    Now have E,J-PT-BE-C.T.PS-A.CY.BD

The Sony guys did say that there was a software download for the 19inch which they knew about .
    This altered the screen size apparently.

Regards
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,600
    Forum Member
    oscar1 wrote: »
    Not noticed anything different so rang my local Sony Centre to enquire --- they knew nothing about any software update (or so they said) and other people had phoned earlier today.

You are aware that Sony Centres are nothing to do with Sony? - it's basically just an independent dealer who has agreed to meet the requirements of being a Sony Centre, that's all.

Most don't even have service departments, and as a service engineer for a major Sony account holder, I can tell you that Sony don't even inform their service network of the fact that updates are happening, never mind what they might fix.

If you want to know when updates are happening, and what they fix, DigitalSpy is the only place to be! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel Goodwin.
    Thanks for the info.
    My local Sony Centre is a shop no bigger than my lounge and kitchen combined -- I live in a small bungalow !!
    I bought my KDL32W4000 there just before Christmas with the understanding that I would be paying the price the set would be in their Boxing Day sale.
    The Boxing day sale had the price reduced even further than the price I paid pre-Christmas by £75.
    The manager wrote out a cheque for £75 on the spot.

I've been tempted to go back again as they are now offering a free DVD player with this set .
    I don't want to push my luck too far or pay the £85 they are asking for a hdmi lead !!
    An auction site did mine for about £5 delivered.

They are also Panasonic dealers and do have their own service department -- a bunch of friendly people who are only too pleased to help.

Oh, I live in a small rural area in Wales.
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel Goodwin.
    Thanks for the info.
    My local Sony Centre is a shop no bigger than my lounge and kitchen combined -- I live in a small bungalow !!
    I bought my KDL32W4000 there just before Christmas with the understanding that I would be paying the price the set would be in their Boxing Day sale.
    The Boxing day sale had the price reduced even further than the price I paid pre-Christmas by £75.
    The manager wrote out a cheque for £75 on the spot.

I've been tempted to go back again as they are now offering a free DVD player with this set .
    I don't want to push my luck too far or pay the £85 they are asking for a hdmi lead !!
    An auction site did mine for about £5 delivered.

They are also Panasonic dealers and do have their own service department -- a bunch of friendly people who are only too pleased to help.

Are you sure they are a Sony Centre?, and not just an independent Sony agent?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel Goodwin
    Sony Centre and their sister shop is a well established Panasonic dealer.
    The Sony Centre is full of all things Sony including DVD players ,E-Books, and latest very thin TV screens for vast amounts of money!
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel Goodwin
    Sony Centre and their sister shop is a well established Panasonic dealer.

You didn't mention 'sister shop' before, which is why I asked, you gave the impression the Sony Centre itself was a Panasonic dealer as well.

One of our friendly local dealers opened a 'Shop At Panasonic' centre the other year, a similar franchise idea to Sony Centres.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same people run both -- 50 yards apart.
    Regards
  • Options
    pennbankpennbank Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    After my update on a KDL32W4000 it knocked out my HDMI link to my RHT-G900 Theatre Stand.
    After several attempts I now have both linked Hopefully :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noticed on the DTG Engineering Channel Over-air Download Schedule page:-

http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php

that the following is coming up next week:-

Fri 31-07-2009 10am to Sun 02-08-2009 9am for Sony KDL XXE4000/KDL XXW4000 New firmware version 2.19.409

This appears to be a newer update than transmitted on 6th- 7th July and not just a repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abenn wrote: »
    Noticed on the DTG Engineering Channel Over-air Download Schedule page:-

http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php

that the following is coming up next week:-

Fri 31-07-2009 10am to Sun 02-08-2009 9am for Sony KDL XXE4000/KDL XXW4000 New firmware version 2.19.409

This appears to be a newer update than transmitted on 6th- 7th July and not just a repeat.
    It's also playing Mon/Tue further up if you check...

Version after update: 2.19.409 :: Playing Mon 27-07-2009 01:00:00 to Tue 28-07-2009 23:59:59

Colin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Downloaded this just before I left home this morning, but didn't get a chance to see if anything had been changed. Anyone else seen any differences?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could I compare notes with someone who has the same Sony KDL-32W4000 that I have. My current version number (heiroglyphics!) is:

E.J-PT-FA-C.T.PS-A.CY.T

Why on earth they publish a v2.19.409 on the engineering channel but then this is nowhere to be found on the actual set is beyond me... :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CPN wrote: »
    Could I compare notes with someone who has the same Sony KDL-32W4000 that I have. My current version number (heiroglyphics!) is:

E.J-PT-FA-C.T.PS-A.CY.T

Why on earth they publish a v2.19.409 on the engineering channel but then this is nowhere to be found on the actual set is beyond me... :confused:

Isn't it on the service menu?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine is shown as
    E.J-PT-BE-C.T.PS-A.CY.T
    on my KDL32W4000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it on the service menu?.
    Is that accessed some other way then? (I don't see it on the normal menus)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting... managed to get to the service menu and mine's showing v02.19.408

There doesn't seem to be any way to force an update and it doesn't seem to be happening automatically yet up here...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also, after a bit of searching around, eventually managed to get into the TV service menu on my KDL-40W4000 and it also gives the version as 02.19.408 and not 02.19.409 as indicated on dtg.org.uk website for the new version.

I put the TV set in standby several times but was not asked to confirm the load of the new software, as it did in the previous upgrade on 6/7/09.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which buttons did you press to do that please ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is how to enter the service menu, but do not alter any settings without technical knowledge as you could brick your TV:-

1/ With TV on, select an analogue channel (not a digital Freeview channel) and the press Standby (top right green power on/off button). If you are not on an analogue channel, the service menu will only flash up momentarily when following the instructions in step 2.

2/Press the following buttons on the TV remote with not more than 1 sec between button presses:-

i+ (top left button)
    volume up (+)
    standby (green top right power on/off button)

3/ TV will come on with Service Menu screen displayed over the analogue TV channel and the TV version can be seen on the first page of Product Version, which is the first option in the list displayed (either press select or right arrow to see the DM Version No). Press the Return button to exit to normal TV. Recommend that you do not enter the other service menu functions or change anything without full knowledge of what you are doing.

Note that the current Sony update for KDL xxE4000/xxW4000 TV models ends on Sunday 2nd Aug 09 at 9am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note that the current Sony update for KDL xxE4000/xxW4000 TV models ends on Sunday 2nd Aug 09 at 9am.
    ...which never actually seemed to get started... I suspect that this may have been a really minor update and if you got the last one to 2.19.408, then this one would probably not apply...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is how to enter the service menu, but do not alter any settings without technical knowledge as you could brick your TV:-

1/ With TV on, select an analogue channel (not a digital Freeview channel) and the press Standby (top right green power on/off button). If you are not on an analogue channel, the service menu will only flash up momentarily when following the instructions in step 2.

2/Press the following buttons on the TV remote with not more than 1 sec between button presses:-

i+ (top left button)
    volume up (+)
    standby (green top right power on/off button)

3/ TV will come on with Service Menu screen displayed over the analogue TV channel and the TV version can be seen on the first page of Product Version, which is the first option in the list displayed (either press select or right arrow to see the DM Version No). Press the Return button to exit to normal TV. Recommend that you do not enter the other service menu functions or change anything without full knowledge of what you are doing.

Thank You. Yep mine still 02.19.408