Options

Who was 'Mickey Dripping'?

ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
Forum Member
If I was naughty or cheeky as a lad I would be teasingly addressed as Mickey Dripping, but I never knew why.

I've just been trying to find out online what the origin of this name was, imagining an old Disney cartoon or wartime character, or even a postwar advert for cooking fat (dripping), but couldn't find anything so thought I'd ask here.

That is your task for the day - find Mickey Dripping.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    If I was naughty or cheeky as a lad I would be teasingly addressed as Mickey Dripping, but I never knew why.

I've just been trying to find out online what the origin of this name was, imagining an old Disney cartoon or wartime character, or even a postwar advert for cooking fat (dripping), but couldn't find anything so thought I'd ask here.

That is your task for the day - find Mickey Dripping.

I guess it's the male equivalent of Lizzie Dripping.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    sounds like a really nasty STD
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fanny Dripping surely
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like a really nasty STD

lol, I thought that too but didn't want to spoil his childhood memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol, I thought that too but didn't want to spoil his childhood memory.

oh dear

sorry OP :D
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    My mum's aunty use to have an ornament of a little boy and they called that Mickey Dripping..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh dear

sorry OP :D

It's too late. I have this penned down for my next psychoanalysis session. When I'm told to lie down and tell all about my childhood I will burst into tears and state that people called me an STD. :cry:

I'm holding on to hope that Mickey Dripping was a poor boy who ate nothing but bread & dripping. I used to like fried bread at breakfast too.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad used to call me bungle barrel when I was wee - I think a lot of the time, these pet names are just two words that sound good and funny together - Mickey Dripping probably never existed in any other way than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My dad used to call me bungle barrel when I was wee - I think a lot of the time, these pet names are just two words that sound good and funny together - Mickey Dripping probably never existed in any other way than that.

You may be right, he could be another Freddie Frog.

On the other hand Gordon Bennett has a full history:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html

As does Mickey Finn:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mickey-finn.html

Ideally I'd like Mickey Dripping to be revealed as a character used in newspaper adverts for a cooking fat. A cheeky, greedy boy who ate all his Mum's pancakes. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ribtickle wrote: »
    It's too late. I have this penned down for my next psychoanalysis session. When I'm told to lie down and tell all about my childhood I will burst into tears and state that people called me an STD. :cry:

I'm holding on to hope that Mickey Dripping was a poor boy who ate nothing but bread & dripping. I used to like fried bread at breakfast too.

If it makes you feel any better i once went to school with a girl called Fanny Hopper
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was little, sometimes My mother would call me Lizzie Dripping ... I never really thought about it... until now..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Are you called Michael?

Read this elsewhere :
    For some reason, in the North of England during the post war periods, anyone called Michael immediataly acquired the nickname "Mickey Dripping", just as anyone with the surname Clark aquired the nickname "Nobby", and anyone with the surname White immediately became "Chalky".

Probably nothing to do with Lizzie Dripping then as that was a 70's cartoon which would of come long after the Mickey Dripping name.
  • Options
    stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood that it was a northern English term for the poor Irish during the late 1800's and early 1900's where they used dripping to smarten up their hair
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how old everyone is, but in the 70s there was a children's TV show called Lizzie Dripping and the Witch
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understood that it was a northern English term for the poor Irish during the late 1800's and early 1900's where they used dripping to smarten up their hair

The OP is no longer a member here. Maybe him or his family has a poor Irish background.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably nothing to do with Lizzie Dripping then as that was a 70's cartoon which would of come long after the Mickey Dripping name.
    I remember people referring to Lizzie Dripping in the 50s, so it would appear that the 70s cartoon used an existing name for the character.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if he was related to Soft Mick
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Lizzie Dripping

wiki
    "Lizzie Dripping" is a slang term in the Nottingham area for a spunky girl who has difficulty distinguishing between fact and fiction :)

and i've known some of them also
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    I remember people referring to Lizzie Dripping in the 50s, so it would appear that the 70s cartoon used an existing name for the character.

it wasn;t a cartoon.. and is viewable on Youtube... and I tell you it was toddler horror...
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That was my first thought too! (not the STD thing, LOL!)
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not related to Soft Mick is he?
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St Dabeoc wrote: »
    I remember Lizzie Dripping

wiki
    "Lizzie Dripping" is a slang term in the Nottingham area for a spunky girl who has difficulty distinguishing between fact and fiction :)

and i've known some of them also

Nottingham's own Walter Mitty :D