Options

ITV Nighttime

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
Forum Member
✭✭
Just what has happened to ITV nighttime? As a student in the early to mid nineties, we were always staying up late, getting very stoned, watching ITV Nighttime. And maybe it's just a case of rose-tinted glasses or the puff was better in those days, but ITV Nighttime in 2004 it isn't a patch on it's former self.

All they seem to show nowadays is repeats of Trisha and Tonight with Trevor McDonald, then three hours of ITV Nightscreen. Where has all the Nighttime only stuff gone? Such gems as God's Gift, The James Whale Radio Show, Prisoner Cell Block H, Alien Nation (the series), Carnal Knowledge, Cue the Music, The Hitman and Her, Dial Midnight (LWT only) and the clubbers bible - BPM. Plus they use to always show decent sci-fi and hammer horrors at about 3am, and the rarely repeated stuff from the daytime. Also there was no ITV nightscreen - programmes went through till the ITN Morning News at 5:30am (When that came on, you knew it was time for bed!)

Just to illustrate - Tonight's stunning line up is:

20th Jan - London region

1:15 am Trisha (R)
2:10 am Today with Des and Mel (R)
3:05 am World Sport (R)
3:35 am Football League Extra (R)
4:00 am ITV Nightscreen (Crappy teletext style thing)

Thank god for Cartoon Network and it's overnight marathon of the Magic Roundabout for all us pot heads.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Drugs are Bad M'kay

You take drugs you turn into a hippy

Everyone knows Hippys are bad M'kay
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think God's Gift was classy-even at 3 in the morning- then you must be heavier on dope than you thought!!!!!! ITV Nighttime-the slogan should be "Rubbish then, rubbish now, rubbish for evermore!!!! And how the ITV people-as they do-class "ITV Nightscreen"-although I think there still are variations on a theme in some regions (Does Jobfinder STILL exist?) as a programme escapes me. Shouldn't the TV guides,EPG and so on state 3.50 (or whatever time!) Closedown, with a modern version of the old closedown routine-another tune to replace God Save the Queen (I'm NOT a Republican, in either the British or Irish sense!!)
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AAhh those were the days - these programmes were good and compulsive viewing. I agree ITV nighttime is something I never venture to nowadays.
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Night-time was delicious. I loved "Queue the Music" and "Alien Nation". My room-mates and I sometimes stayed up specifically to watch "God's Gift" (or what was that other dating game..?)

Though going to work on two hours' sleep was not fun, as I recall.

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oliver Reed beating up the French barber on the Big E.
    The ever-so charimatic agony uncle on Dear Nick.
    The profiles of stand-up's on Funny Business.
    Late and Loud - the national edit of the superb Central Weekend with Nicky Campbell.
    Sledge Hammer,
    American Gladiators,
    Married with Children,
    Night Network with Tim Westwood, Mick Brown and Emma Freud,
    The James Whale Show live from Radio Aire!
    Friday the 13th - the series!
    The Twilght Zone remakes.
    Alfred Hitchcock presents - the series.
    War of the Worlds - the series!
    Pub Quiz with Stuart Hall and latterly Ted Robbins.
    Pick of the Week - the best funny stories from ITV's regional news.
    Phil Donahue.
    Special Squad.

And if you lived in Meridian land - Graham Rogers interviews whoever happens to be in panto in Southampton at the time!

I wasn't going to mention Bushell on the Box but what the hell - someone must hav watched it.

Ah, the great ITV Nightime shows of old!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV need to save money to pay for debts of ITV Digital and Micheal Greens pay off. So no ITV Night time budget, repeats are cheap. Added to the fact the idiots who run ITV need big fat pay packets drivers designer suits and PAs all expensive to run. Oh I forgot most Granada top knobs have in car fax machines
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the early days (late 80s-early 90s) didn't each individual ITV region have it's own particular opt outs, and why was that stopped? I well remember seeing a VERY old edition (even then it was about 13 years old) of the Ulster Television schools series "Let's look at Ulster" at 3.30 or something strange!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by christygreer
    In the early days (late 80s-early 90s) didn't each individual ITV region have it's own particular opt outs, and why was that stopped? I well remember seeing a VERY old edition (even then it was about 13 years old) of the Ulster Television schools series "Let's look at Ulster" at 3.30 or something strange!

I know us in London had a different line up to Granada, as my mate was up in Manchester Uni and he always watched Best of British Motor Sport at the sensible time of 1:30am, where as I couldn't watch it as it was on at 5am in the Carlton region.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh - ITV Night-time, the memories and I'm 'only ' 21 now :D I got a pocket TV for Xmas '93 and mid 90's used to spend many a morning staying up and watching some of the wonderful and weird stuff on ITV :) Clubbavision, Carnal Knowledge - every 14 year old should have a pocket TV and watch this stuff :)

ITV generally has falen back a long way since around 1998, but Night time is probably the best demonstration of how ITV has deminished since the mid-90s. It's now just bland boring repeats of stuff nobody wants to watch. In a way it's a bit sad - I'm am up late either working on some uni project or doing some PHP coding, I tend to just have TMF on in the background - sure they play some good stuff in the early morning, but it's not the same...
  • Options
    snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Ocean Pacific
    I know us in London had a different line up to Granada,

As I remember (circa 1989) 'Night Time' with the Granada announcers and the logo of the cat sillouetted across the moon also went out on Grampian, Tyne Tees, and TSW.

I rarely saw it but I think 'ITV Night Time' from Thames was possibly shared by Anglia TVS and HTV also (although HTV had their own 'Night Club' announcers at one stage, and by 1993 the incredibly perky Graham Rogers was presenting 'Nightime' on Meridian and Channel')

Yorkshire, Scottish and Central all had their own schedule - until Carlton swallowed Central and YTV merged with Tyne Tees - creating 'Night Shift' with the YTV announcers.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can still recall Night Network,which ran from 1 till 4 and included Batman and Captain Scarlet episodes. It was followed by a two hour segment entitled 'Through To Six',Friday nights was Nascar highlights,ditto Sundays for Indy Car Racing and they also ran loads of the old 1hr black and white westerns starring John Wayne from the 1930's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a lad, the Queen used to come on at half past eleven and say "oi, go to bed, spotty!" Then you'ld see a shot of her putting the milk bottles out in her curlers. Or did I dream it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    No one has mentioned the gem of ITV Nighttime - Get Stuffed. The snappy 5 min cookery program made by apparently hyperactive stoned students for stoned students. It was on every couple of hours. They made stupid things like apple pie. Fantastic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    In the early 90's Granada was controlling a lot of the nighttime output for the whole network, while LWT would control the (weekday) daytime output for most regions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyne Tees refused to show both The Good Sex Guide Late and God's Gift, as they were too smutty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Ocean Pacific
    Tyne Tees refused to show both The Good Sex Guide Late and God's Gift, as they were too smutty.

As well as Carnal Knowledge - the late Bruce Gyngell was head of Tyne Tess & Yorkshire at the time and his notorious penchant for puritanism made Cromwell look like Oliver Reed.

I can still remember the cat silhouette that introduced NightTime and the sunrise that closed it - but what was that spooky music used to accompany both?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Yeh, funny cos I was looking up these shows and I know that ITV has a page on some of the old stff the used to do. THere is still a page even dedicated to 'Get Stuffed'. That was my favourite but I also remember 'The Big-E'. Initially it was presented by Nino Firetto, but it was eventually presented by random european interviewers, with a little bit of boobs out action - I remember there was one Polish girl who looked particularly hot....

Other shows I remember were 'Wideangle' for Anglia and '01' for London. These were kind of a 'what's on and where ' programme which had their individual regions, not sure if the like of Central had them or not.

SHiFT was one I remember, an arts/culture magazine which randomly featured the ace poet Vis the Spoon.

James Whale was kind of interesting though I do remember it being particularly shabby - even for a live show. He was quoted as saying, just before it finished completely, "nothing goes on for ever.." Chris Evans twisted it around and said that James Whale was right, since his programme contained absolutely nothing and it did go on forever....

Music shows such as 'Hitman and Her' - going back to being less than 11 now!! The Beat, BPM, Flux(?), and ClubbaVision.

Chat shows like, the Funky Bunker, Nightshift (a really cool show where Mr Bennet from Take Hart interviewed random nightworkers)...

You see my gripe is that you don't get this niche, innovative television anymore, and I work random times which mean I can get away with going to bed at 5:30am (avoiding the news) and wake up ready for my 15:30 shifts. Some people say that the quality was pretty poor, but then, you don't really want to watch challenging TV when you are tired or stoned at night. A LOT of innovative TV came from Granada, now you are lucky to find anything of interest coming from that company... too many debts to pay off and too much interest in just making money - daytime repeats do NOT make great television and nor do those money grabbing competitions - personally I would restrict those (by law) to no more than 2 hours every couple of nights....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I can still remember the cat silhouette that introduced NightTime and the sunrise that closed it - but what was that spooky music used to accompany both?

That's a track called "Unseen Danger" by Steve Gray on the Bruton Music library
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I can't believe no-one's mentioned The all new alphabet show - maybe I'm showing my age here but when I was 17 - in 1987 we loved Night Network - our first insight into latenight TV (just The Queen before that!) All of a sudden we had Batman etc and The All New Alphabet show with Nicholas Parsons - he was incredible absolutely hilarious (unless I've got the rose tinted's on as well!)
    Surely someone must remember it - I've scoured the internet but no sign of it, I'm gutted!
  • Options
    thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back In Bed With Me Dinner!
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eighteen months or so ago posters were complaining about ITV Play shows on during the night and wanting the return of Nighttime! Now they have their wish, it's back but not good enough apparently ... :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I can still recall Night Network,which ran from 1 till 4 and included Batman and Captain Scarlet episodes. loads of the old 1hr black and white westerns starring John Wayne from the 1930's.

ah yes they sliced up episodes iirc so you had about 8 mins then you had to wait 30 mins before the next me, and the JW films were made by a tiny film company called Lone Star
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such gems as . . . The Hitman and Her . . . and the clubbers bible - BPM.
    BPM was seriously dull as dishwater compared with the Hitman and Her. It took over the 2-4am slot
    after the Hitman and Her finished, and wasn't even a patch on the show it replaced. I've still got a
    few episodes of the Hitman and Her on VHS tape, including the last ever edition recorded at the
    (former) Discotheque Royale in Manchester. (The taping of that final show was only a few days
    after I became legally old enough to even set foot inside a nightclub!)

This September will see the 20th anniversary of the first ever edition of the Hitman and Her, which
    was taped at Mr Smiths in Warrington. I doubt that there'll be anything on TV (or anywhere else)
    to celebrate what was, in my opinion at least, the best ever ITV Night Time show.

(BE'AVE!)

snossis wrote: »
    Pub Quiz with Stuart Hall and latterly Ted Robbins.
    It was actually called "Quiz Night" ... all the teams represented different pubs. Stuart Hall was the
    last host of this show in 1993. ITV should bring it back! It was on Sunday nights after Prisoner.
    And, IIRC, the set of the last couple of series was designed to look a bit like a pub.