DS Forums

What sequels have been confirmed for the future?

Old 18-07-2015, 19:34
indiekid76
Forum Member

I see that M. Night Shyamalan has a new film coming out called The Visit.

Like most people I enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, and like a lot of people that's about it. I am rooting for him to keep his streak going though: the last four films M. Night Shyamalan has directed all have a red rating on the Metactric/IMDB score (his streak of splats on Rotten Tomatoes is an equally impressive five.)

Can he take the streak a full ten years?! Come on M.
indiekid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-07-2015, 19:53
necromancer20
Forum Member

He's directed three fantastic films IMO, the two that you mentioned as well as Signs. That's more than most directors so credit where it's due. I loved two thirds of The Village (though I'm inclined to giving this a re-watch some day).

But why do you want to 'root' for him to continue his bad streak? I want him to go back to making good films again because I think he's a talented director who's lost his way. But I guess being negative is more fun I guess
necromancer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 19:56
indiekid76
Forum Member

No. He's run out of last chances. Signs is an average film, and The Village is a bad film. His last four have been terrible films. I mean terrible.

The trailer is promising awful as it's one of those long since original, and long since watchable, found footage things.
indiekid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 21:40
Pob-Bundy
Forum Member

I love his work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vOtjXMBBI
Pob-Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:22
ironjade
Forum Member

It's way past time Night called it a day.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 11:48
Virgil Tracy
Forum Member

anyone watching Wayward Pines - it's very good , I was worried when I saw his name on it but it's going really well .
Virgil Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 12:12
mgvsmith
Forum Member

anyone watching Wayward Pines - it's very good , I was worried when I saw his name on it but it's going really well .
Yes, I've been watching Wayward Pines. I guess the difference with that venture is that it is based on a series of books by another author. M. Night Shyamalan has tended to write his own stuff in the past and it is that work that has been failing.

'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable' are both brilliant. Other works like 'Signs', 'The Village' and 'The Happening' are strong on creating intrigue but weak in the climactic delivery. I still hold out some hope for him.
mgvsmith is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 13:34
pearlsandplums
Forum Member

Lady in the water is appalling. I know he didn't have that much to do with it but devil was great
pearlsandplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:01
007Fusion
Forum Member

It's way past time Night called it a day.
It got a laugh out of me.
007Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 18:48
dodrade
Forum Member

I think a sequel to Unbreakable would be interesting.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 18:59
Gulftastic
Forum Member

At the end, right, it turns out that he was
Spoiler
Gulftastic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 20:16
JCR
Forum Member

I must say I did roar with laughter at the 'can you get inside the oven' line from The Visit trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCsULFGldi8

Hope that one ends up on netflix, as I'm sure I'll enjoy it for the wrong reasons.
JCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 20:52
sorcha_healy27
Forum Member

Didn't he direct the village. What a load of shite that was
sorcha_healy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 21:26
koantemplation
Forum Member

I liked 'The Happening'. I think Mark and Zoey are great in it, Very understated. And I like the idea of plants fighting back the way they do and all the different ways people died.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 15:43
Philip Wales
Forum Member

Sixth Sense very good, as was Unbreakable, but the rest mah! I think his main problem is we all now look for the twist etc.
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 17:16
Supratad
Forum Member

The thing i didn't understand about The Village was how they managed to build a whole "future world" outside of the village when no one had invented the technology to do so yet. It was a big plot hole for me.
Supratad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 18:08
sorcha_healy27
Forum Member

The thing i didn't understand about The Village was how they managed to build a whole "future world" outside of the village when no one had invented the technology to do so yet. It was a big plot hole for me.
Wasn't it actually a modern world though in the end? As i that was the twist

What a crap film
Old 24-07-2015, 01:35
dodrade
Forum Member

Wasn't it actually a modern world though in the end? As i that was the twist

What a crap film
I think Supratad's comment may have been tongue in cheek.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:47
Jim_McIntosh
Forum Member

I'm still interested in what he directs as he comes out with some good ideas. Some of worked out better than others but I haven't completely written him off just yet.
Jim_McIntosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:19
sorcha_healy27
Forum Member

I think Supratad's comment may have been tongue in cheek.
Old 24-07-2015, 22:24
stripedcat
Forum Member

He seems to have gone from hero to zero. I remember all the rave for "The Sixth Sense". "Unbreakable" got pretty good reviews as well. I also liked "Signs" and "The Village" - I'm probably in a minority on those. After that - he seemed to be out of favour. "The Lady In The Water" got panned - although, whilst I didn't think it was good - I was expecting it to be much worse than all the reviews that it got.

Can he make a comeback?

He seems to be stuck with the same formula - namely, having to have a "twist" in a film's plot.
stripedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 11:46
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Bit of a curio, isn't he. Takes slightly hokey, Twilight Zone premises and bestows hushed portent upon them. Occasionally it works if the material's right, but otherwise just seems pompous. Signs did well as an eerie, stripped down alien invasion thriller that showed he had the chops for working an audience, but all the faith business with Mad Mel looked forced, as if needlessly compensating for its genre roots.

Another big hit, but since then it looks like the studios simply gave him enough rope and he promptly hung himself. It didn't help that the twist to the Village was all over the net either.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 11:53
Oxygenated
Forum Member

I think the problem is that you always expect a twist if he is directing it. Which then ruins it, because you are looking for it.
Oxygenated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 12:08
dee123
Forum Member

The most recent thing i liked was Devil. Though i think he was just a producer.
dee123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 16:12
dodrade
Forum Member

He seems to have gone from hero to zero. I remember all the rave for "The Sixth Sense". "Unbreakable" got pretty good reviews as well. I also liked "Signs" and "The Village" - I'm probably in a minority on those. After that - he seemed to be out of favour. "The Lady In The Water" got panned - although, whilst I didn't think it was good - I was expecting it to be much worse than all the reviews that it got.

Can he make a comeback?

He seems to be stuck with the same formula - namely, having to have a "twist" in a film's plot.
The last airbender was a hit but the reviews were so bad it didn't help his career.

That said Guy Ritchie's career looked finished after Swept away and revolver but then turned it around with the Sherlock Holmes films so perhaps Shyamalan can as well.