Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Cats belly hangs down

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56
Cunny Funt
Forum Member

Hi everyone

In around August of last year my son found a kitten that had been thrown out in the rain, I contacted the Cats Protection and they said for us to keep her overnight... But to cut a long story short we decided to keep her.

The CP said as we had taken a kitten off the street they would give her an operation so she'd have no kittens. My cat was done when she was around 4 months old. Now tho her stomach proper hangs low and quite a few people comment on it, so I don't think something is right, but saying that, it doesn't bother her.

Is this something that sometimes just happens?

Thanks for reading this.
Cunny Funt is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17
MontySwan
Forum Member

Hi everyone

In around August of last year my son found a kitten that had been thrown out in the rain, I contacted the Cats Protection and they said for us to keep her overnight... But to cut a long story short we decided to keep her.

The CP said as we had taken a kitten off the street they would give her an operation so she'd have no kittens. My cat was done when she was around 4 months old. Now tho her stomach proper hangs low and quite a few people comment on it, so I don't think something is right, but saying that, it doesn't bother her.

Is this something that sometimes just happens?

Thanks for reading this.

That is something that happens to every female cat once they are spayed it's totally harmless
MontySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19
michelle666
Forum Member

Cat Protection know exactly what they're doing when they ask people to keep the cat over night. They did the same to us when we found a stray and he's still here over a year later.

My first female cat ended up with quite a saggy belly after being neutered, it literally swung from side to side as she walked, my Mum's cat was the same although nowhere near as bad.. I think it is just one of those things, although I couldn't tell you why. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can let us know. Neither cat was overweight but they looked bigger than they were due to the saggy bellys.
michelle666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19
RAINBOWGIRL22
Forum Member

She was mighty young to be spayed?? 4 months is very young IMO.

I had my girl done at 6 months as she was desparate to get outside!! She too has a bit of undercarriage on her.... I don't think it's unusual - after the op, female cat's lose elasticity in their tummy muscles hence the belly....

If you are concerened though, call the vet and I am sure they will give you a better explanation than I can
RAINBOWGIRL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26
Delilahcat
Forum Member

My cat Delilah also has a little saggy tummy - her nickname is Lila Saggybits!

It seems to happen quite a lot in females who have been spayed so i wouldn't worry too much OP, next time she's at the vets just ask about it to set your mind at rest.
Delilahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:16
Lippincote
Forum Member

The belly is completely normal - my vet called it 'cod fat' - I don't know if that is an official term or just his own term! Some females have more of it than others, just individual differences. My tortie has a lot, my Burmese has less.

I get my females neutered at 5 months, as they can start calling at 6 months and no one wants to go through that. Neutering at 4 months isn't that unusual - a few animal welfare organisations do that now as a preferable option to the cat accidentally getting knocked up if it's left a few weeks too late....
Lippincote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 13:19
rhod
Forum Member

It does look quite funny swinging away from side to side when they run up the path towards you!
rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 14:12
Saylem
Forum Member

Some vets will neuter cats from 8 weeks old but it doesn't seem common practice. Mine have always been done at the 5/6 month old mark
Saylem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 16:42
purrfect_catlov
Forum Member

It does look quite funny swinging away from side to side when they run up the path towards you!
Ha ha, yep thats my girl. She is a large ginger cat with a saggy baggy belly she does look funny when she runs.
purrfect_catlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 16:55
Puffle
Forum Member

All mine have been neutered/spayed and two have got really saggy bellies - one female one male, the other three only have slightly saggy bellies - one female, two males.

It does look funny when they run and it swings from side to side but as everyone else has said it's perfectly normal
Puffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:42
gertrude hubble
Forum Member

My tabby boy who has been neutered has a saggy belly Yet he runs around all over the place and has a small appetite. His brother (a tuxedo cat) also neutered ,eats for England and lazes around most of the day, has a nice trim tum.
gertrude hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:07
diva_moon
Forum Member

Well, this is interesting because a cat of mine who passed on in '93 had the same thing. At least now I know why! She arrived in my shed one summer and although I put up notices for owners, no-one came and she soon moved into the main house with us. She was a real character. I took her to be spayed, but she had already been done. I thought she may have already had a litter or two, from the way her stomach hung, but perhaps not after all.
diva_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 18:57
funkycub
Forum Member

I had my girl done at 6 months as she was desparate to get outside!! She too has a bit of undercarriage on her.... I don't think it's unusual - after the op, female cat's lose elasticity in their tummy muscles hence the belly....

If you are concerened though, call the vet and I am sure they will give you a better explanation than I can
My two also have "undercarriage" - I love that!

My girls were due to be booked in at 6 months but came into season early - what followed was a stressful and noisy weekend!!
funkycub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 23:09
summer_chick
Forum Member

both of mine have that little extra furry bit.. I think our podgy one always did. I wonder sometimes how they don't get it caught while they're off on their travels, as they do their collars etc, but they haven't yet !

Podge loves having her tummy tickled, hanging down bit or not.. our slinky girl doesn't.. caused a lot of scars and confusion for a while !!
summer_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 00:15
jabegy
Forum Member

My Penny has a saggy tummy as well
jabegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 07:27
Cunny Funt
Forum Member

Thanks for your replies everyone, seems there really is nothing to worry about afterall.
Cunny Funt is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote