Old 25-08-2009, 23:55
The Revolution
Forum Member

Take a look at the two websites....

Default version -
http://www.microsoft.com/businesspro...y/default.mspx

Polish version -
http://www.microsoft.com/poland/busi...y/default.mspx

Both are excactly the same except that they removed the head of the black man in the polish version and photoshopped in a white guy’s head instead. They also forgot to remove the black mans hand

Such a poor effort.
The Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-08-2009, 00:03
c0lefax
Forum Member

Not sure if I should feel bad or what but that made me laugh
Oh.. open two windows and flick between the two quickly, it's fun!
c0lefax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 00:07
Nine Bob Note
Forum Member

Frankly, I'm amazed Microsoft didn't pull this the very SECOND they knew people had spotted it. This is gonna be making the news tomorrow morning.
Nine Bob Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 00:15
f_196
Forum Member

Must admit i chuckled a little - but that is really suspicous.
f_196 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 00:18
Ovalteenie
Forum Member

Which is the original picture? Both versions of the middle guy's head look rather unnatural.

edit: It's okay I've decided the white guy's head on the Polish version is definitely fake, very odd angle & proportion & doesn't match his hand as the OP pointed out
Frankly, I'm amazed Microsoft didn't pull this the very SECOND they knew people had spotted it. This is gonna be making the news tomorrow morning.
Someone do a screengrab quick
Ovalteenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 00:26
bean999
Forum Member

It's happened before. I don't think it's racist, just crass. There aren't many black people in Poland, it doesn't make sense to sell products on the basis that there are.

Actually you could say it would be rather arrogant if microsoft assumed that all countries in the world had the demographic of the US, presumably it's to avoid that assumption that they made the change.
bean999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 00:27
GoodMikey
Inactive Member

the woman looks more tanned on the polish one.. maybe it's just moi
GoodMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 00:35
Ezenden
Forum Member

It's happened before. I don't think it's racist, just crass. There aren't many black people in Poland, it doesn't make sense to sell products on the basis that there are.

Actually you could say it would be rather arrogant if microsoft assumed that all countries in the world had the demographic of the US, presumably it's to avoid that assumption that they made the change.
That reasoning doesn't stick. I don't think there are many East Asians in Poland either, but the man on the left hasn't been edited out.

There's a quite obvious sociological reason why they felt the need to exclude the black man and not the Asian, but that's a great big can of worms which i can't be bothered going into.
Ezenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:01
bean999
Forum Member

That reasoning doesn't stick. I don't think there are many East Asians in Poland either, but the man on the left hasn't been edited out.

There's a quite obvious sociological reason why they felt the need to exclude the black man and not the Asian, but that's a great big can of worms which i can't be bothered going into.
The reasoning sticks perfectly well. Being, that it's Microsoft's website. It's their decision how they market their products to Poland.

The OP should have written: does MS think Poland is racist, or does Microsoft just think Poles are basically white.

Consider this: if there was no photo-editing, just a different picture of three 'Polish-looking people' sitting in an office, would you have the same objection?
Old 26-08-2009, 01:03
summerain
Forum Member

I just tried that, he has a wobbly head
summerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:12
Ezenden
Forum Member

The reasoning sticks perfectly well. Being, that it's Microsoft's website. It's their decision how they market their products to Poland.

The OP should have written: does MS think Poland is racist, or does Microsoft just think Poles are basically white.

Consider this: if there was no photo-editing, just a different picture of three 'Polish-looking people' sitting in an office, would you have the same objection?
You've completely missed or ignored my point.

Using your logic of "There aren't many black people in Poland, it doesn't make sense to sell products on the basis that there are. " then the Asian man should also have been edited out. So your reasoning does not stick.

If it was "three Polish looking people" or they'd edited the photo to make everyone "Polish looking" then i wouldn't object. Demographic marketing is basic advertising and for that exact reason, the Asian man should also have been edited out.

There's more to this particular photo than relating the subjects to the audience. It's clear the issue seen by Microsoft's photo editor is a black man in the photo, and the audiences reaction, not they're not all Polish looking and the audiences reaction.

Either the editor made a blunder in leaving the Asian man in, or it was a concious decision to specifically remove the black man.
Old 26-08-2009, 01:13
bean999
Forum Member

I failed to find the older instance of this happening (the paint advert), but here's a lengthy discussion about the OP's pics on another site:

Why has Microsoft photoshopped this?
Old 26-08-2009, 01:16
FortyTwo25
Forum Member

Interesting
FortyTwo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:18
bean999
Forum Member

You've completely missed or ignored my point.

Using your logic of "There aren't many black people in Poland, it doesn't make sense to sell products on the basis that there are. " then the Asian man should also have been edited out. So your reasoning does not stick.

If it was "three Polish looking people" or they'd edited the photo to make everyone "Polish looking" then i wouldn't object. Demographic marketing is basic advertising and for that exact reason, the Asian man should also have been edited out.
Nonsense. You've ignored my point. It's microsoft's decision. Criticize microsoft. Yes, it's odd that they left the Asian man, maybe they thought one edit would be enough. They're evidently lazy or they wouldn't have used a stock photograph to begin with.
Old 26-08-2009, 01:19
ustarion
Forum Member

I'm sorry but in the main those eastern block countries are generally more racist (or ignorant) than the West.
ustarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:21
Ezenden
Forum Member

Nonsense. You've ignored my point. It's microsoft's decision. Criticize microsoft. Yes, it's odd that they left the Asian man, maybe they thought one edit would be enough. They're evidently lazy or they wouldn't have used a stock photograph to begin with.
Obviously it's Microsoft's decision, where have i implied otherwise? Microsoft is exactly who i'm criticising.
Old 26-08-2009, 01:24
f_196
Forum Member

As someone has pointed out, isn't the head changing middle man using a Mac ?
f_196 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:29
geoffSF
Inactive Member

Love it. hahaha
geoffSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:34
lexy_86
Forum Member

There's no such thing as a racist country- there are racists individuals in every country. Yes even this one!

I went to Poland last year, and had a fab time, no problems whatsoever.

The only thing I can think of is that some of the children were fascinated with us, as they had clearly never met a real, live, black person before who wasn't on Polish MTV (which funnily enough had a black presenter at the time). But then that is how children behave when they haven't seen something before and not something that I would percieve to be racist. I know others may have had totally different experiences while there but I can only speak for me and I had no issues while there.

TBH- I think this says more about Microsoft than it does about Poland and its' people, and I think it's unfair to suggest that Poland is racist because of Microsofts' piss-poor marketing.

I mean look at the images, they didn't even use photoshop properly the new head is WAY out of proportion with the body. He's using a MAC computer, and still has a black hand!

I can't even take that shit seriously!
lexy_86 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:37
FMDJ
Inactive Member

I guess Microsoft are just trying to better reflect the country they are targeting. Really don't think it's racism no one would bat an eye lid if they changed the pictures of the Chinese market.
FMDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:47
Ænima
Forum Member

Poland has some nice ladies.
Ænima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:55
chinchin
Forum Member

Picture is now the same on both sites!
chinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sidespin Nid
Forum Member

I'm wetting myself here The second pic looks ridiculous , the guy looks like he has an abnormally large head!
Sidespin Nid is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
the_saint_2005
Forum Member

The Polish one has a black guy in it. Perhaps MS have noticed now? Did anybody get a screengrab?
the_saint_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 01:56
chinchin
Forum Member

I failed to find the older instance of this happening (the paint advert), but here's a lengthy discussion about the OP's pics on another site:

Why has Microsoft photoshopped this?
You can still see the altered version on bean's link (above)
chinchin is offline   Reply With Quote