Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

why do Jack Russells shiver?

Old 21-09-2009, 12:15
dollymarie
Forum Member

Recently had to move back home, and my parents JR is fast asleep next to me, but he has this awful thing where he constantly shivers, like really violently.

Imagine that dog on the advert they got rid of with the shivering dog and thats him.

It just really disturbs me because it makes me think he's cold (which he's not) or he's unhappy (obviously cant judge that one but cant think of anything that would be making him sad)

Is it just normal behaviour for JR's or is there something else in it.
dollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-09-2009, 12:22
tinman
Forum Member

I wouldn't worry about it,our jack is frightened of his own shadow.
tinman is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 16:23
himmymim
Forum Member

We call it dithering. Our last russell Jade did this all the time and the looks we got when little old ladies saw her you would have sworn we were maltreating her. We now have a Parson Russel called Barney and he does exactly the same. I wouldn't worry I think this is just one of these things that russells do.
himmymim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 16:26
Tass
Forum Member

Dogs can also shake with any intense emotion be it eager excitement, fear, anxiety or even fury.
However lots of small terriers just do this, particularly as they get older so I wouldn't worry, it's a terrier thing, like many of them will periodically carry a paw, often a back one, for a few steps for no reason, just because they're terriers
Old dogs of various breeds can also do it for no particular reason, like old people can get trembly.
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 17:04
tinman
Forum Member

Dogs can also shake with any intense emotion be it eager excitement, fear, anxiety or even fury.
However lots of small terriers just do this, particularly as they get older so I wouldn't worry, it's a terrier thing, like many of them will periodically carry a paw, often a back one, for a few steps for no reason, just because they're terriers
Old dogs of various breeds can also do it for no particular reason, like old people can get trembly.
Our dog has started to do that aswell.
Old 21-09-2009, 17:29
cosmo
Inactive Member

Confusion can also cause shaking.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 20:50
stud u like
Forum Member

Some dogs look like they are shivering when their muscles are relaxing.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 21:14
sadoldbird
Forum Member

Well, shiver me timbers!

Our Wheaten terrier does the shivering and the limpy thing. I thought it was just her because she's a terrible wuss.
sadoldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 21:18
spongebobby
Forum Member

I have a Westie and he gets what we call 'the jitteries'. He'll be sitting beside you nice and relaxed when he'll suddenly jump! Frightens the heart out of me and sometimes it looks like he is having a fit. Found out recently its a fairly common thing!
spongebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 07:55
rosemary
Forum Member

My Yorkie Cross does it when we go out in the car, I'm never sure if its because he doesn't like the car, or he is excited because he knows he is probably going for a long walk somewhere.

Maybe its a mixture of the two?
rosemary is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 09:04
dollymarie
Forum Member

Thankyou everyone, its put my mind at rest. He does it when he's fast asleep as well as when he can see his food being made up (guess that one is excitement) He's 4 in a couple of weeks but I lived elsewhere until July of this year, so haven't really spent a long period of time with him, and so it was upsetting me. Am glad he is ok.

He does the hoppy thing with his feet when he's out for a walk as well

Heres a pic of him asleep on his back last night, loved the expression on his face and couldnt resist taking a pic
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/ABCD0016.jpg
Old 22-09-2009, 10:41
Porcupine
Forum Member

Heres a pic of him asleep on his back last night, loved the expression on his face and couldnt resist taking a pic
LMFAO ..... that has literally made me laugh out loud. What a fantastically funny photo. Thank you for making my day

I would love a Jack Russell. I was going to get one about 3yrs ago, but then another dog came into my life. My neighbour (about 3 doors away) is a dog breeder, and when he was out one day the puppies escaped.

I ran into the street to help herd them up, and this little long legged ginger thing lept into my arms. It was love at first sight. I paid the man his money ..... and she has been with me ever since. Here she is in her winter jumper (she has barely any fur and gets very chilly in the winter):-

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16..._walk_0091.jpg
Porcupine is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 10:43
dollymarie
Forum Member

Aw bless her!

The photo made me giggle a lot too, i've put it as the wallpaper on my phone, might put it on a few other forums too.
Old 22-09-2009, 11:59
tinman
Forum Member

Thankyou everyone, its put my mind at rest. He does it when he's fast asleep as well as when he can see his food being made up (guess that one is excitement) He's 4 in a couple of weeks but I lived elsewhere until July of this year, so haven't really spent a long period of time with him, and so it was upsetting me. Am glad he is ok.

Brilliant.
Old 22-09-2009, 15:56
Melp26
Forum Member

I think the hopping thing is cos these breeds are prone to their kneecaps slipping out of place a little so they hop till it goes back in. I'm sure I've seen it on TV. Could be wrong tho, if so I'm sure I'll be corrected
Melp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 15:59
cosmo
Inactive Member

I think the hopping thing is cos these breeds are prone to their kneecaps slipping out of place a little so they hop till it goes back in. I'm sure I've seen it on TV. Could be wrong tho, if so I'm sure I'll be corrected
I've had two small terriers with that problem. Two vets told me that it does happen with small terriers and it's usually nothing to worry about.

Anyone who notices this in their dog should make a special effort to keep the dog's weight normal as being overweight can make the problem worse - resulting in the need for surgery.
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 16:02
Pandora Black
Forum Member

LMFAO ..... that has literally made me laugh out loud. What a fantastically funny photo. Thank you for making my day

I would love a Jack Russell. I was going to get one about 3yrs ago, but then another dog came into my life. My neighbour (about 3 doors away) is a dog breeder, and when he was out one day the puppies escaped.

I ran into the street to help herd them up, and this little long legged ginger thing lept into my arms. It was love at first sight. I paid the man his money ..... and she has been with me ever since. Here she is in her winter jumper (she has barely any fur and gets very chilly in the winter):-

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16..._walk_0091.jpg

Oh guys!! What fab piccies!! You are very lucky!
Pandora Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 18:01
Tass
Forum Member

That can be a different thing and many small breeds that aren't terriers can be prone to luxating patellas.
The majority of terriers that do it do not have that problem, although there can be some overlap of the two.
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 19:57
spongebobby
Forum Member

Fantastic picture!! I laughed out loud and even the OH did and he's sick of me showing him pics of doggies off t'internet
spongebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 20:59
cazmac
Forum Member

LOL that pic is a hoot!He looks like our 12 yr old jack.She also hops and shivers a lot,she's afraid of everything from other dogs to hamsters!a poor excuse for a dog really bless her!Our 14 yr old is like a little old man and almost human!He's a lot slower on his feet these days,but soon moves for
kebabs or choclate!naughty i know but it's never done him any harm.Our russells our part of the family and always great fun
cazmac is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 21:13
trevalyan
Inactive Member

Is it just normal behaviour for JR's or is there something else in it.
a chihuahua is giving him a knee trembler
trevalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 21:56
fitzii
Forum Member

seriously that is just a brilliant picture i just burst out laughing when i opened the link and i had been having a shit day so thank you

btw my 17 an half yr old shih tzu terrier cross is sound asleep but every now and then she shakes about i'm glad to hear its not too unusual ...i put it down her reliving her puppyhood in her dreams
fitzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 22:00
dollymarie
Forum Member

Im glad i've made so many people smile today, no really I am. I keep clicking on it myself and grinning again
Old 22-09-2009, 22:14
fitzii
Forum Member

Im glad i've made so many people smile today, no really I am. I keep clicking on it myself and grinning again
well it cheered me up no end!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...b/cocob001.jpg

my ol girl a few years ago....
fitzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 22:24
Elanor
Forum Member

My mum's Jack Russell quivers like mad at almost anything. Fear (thunder, hoovers, hangliders, fireworkds, wheelchairs etc) and excitement (my dad walking into the room, me going home, seeing the moon or a hedgehog etc) both cause to shake uncontrollably for ages.
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote