Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What are the best vegetarian sausages?

Old 15-11-2009, 16:22
moila
Inactive Member

I actually like vegeterian sausages more then the meat ones. Ive tasted Linda Mcartney's they are quite expensive but I thought they were very tasty and had some flavour to it, also they were not firm and rubbery, my family also tasted them and liked them fine.

I tasted the quorn sausages and total opposite, sorry but I thought it was disgusting, rubbery texture, awful smell and taste .

So far I just like one brand and so just bring that one. Does anyone know any good brand of veegetarian sausages taste nice but are SOFT and mushy.?
moila is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-11-2009, 16:25
Nest
Forum Member

I don't know the answer to the question, never having tasted veggie sausages, but you can brighten up any sausage by coating it with sticky sauce.

Grill your sausages then mix equal parts tomato ketchup and brown sugar - put sausages in a disch, cover with sauce, oven for about 20 mins to allow sauce to melt and soak in. really delicious!
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 16:29
poppypinkie
Forum Member

Linda McCartney are gross IMO.

I've been a non-meat eater for years and I like quorn and most of the ranges that are sold in Holland & Barrett.

They don't really pretend to be meat.

Linda (God bless her vegan soul) seems to have though that bacony, hammy chemical essence makes a good non meaty sausage when really we just want some soya, onions and spice.
poppypinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 16:34
2shy2007
Forum Member

LM are not too bad, but thye have to be cooked slowly or else they go hard and inedible. They are not the best tasting though, vegetarian choice from Holland and Barrett are not bad, and they also sell a lincolnshire type sausage in their freezer compartment.

It is a case of trial and error and what is right for you though.
2shy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 16:43
jongruner
Forum Member

love linda mccartneys, i even make sausage rolls and sausage casserole with hers. quorns you have to fry which is a pain as lindas can be put in the oven and are moist like real sausages whereas quorns are very dry.
jongruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 16:49
Kevin1960
Forum Member

I actually like vegeterian sausages more then the meat ones. Ive tasted Linda Mcartney's they are quite expensive but I thought they were very tasty and had some flavour to it, also they were not firm and rubbery, my family also tasted them and liked them fine.

I tasted the quorn sausages and total opposite, sorry but I thought it was disgusting, rubbery texture, awful smell and taste .

So far I just like one brand and so just bring that one. Does anyone know any good brand of veegetarian sausages taste nice but are SOFT and mushy.?
I'm not vegetarian but earlier this year I tried Quorn, Linda McCartney and Cauldron. The best ones imho were definitely the Linda McCartney which I found slightly surprising as they're vegan whereas the others aren't (Quorn and Cauldron contain egg).
Kevin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 16:50
kimindex
Forum Member

I'd also recommend the Linda M ones and the quorn red leicester and onion ones.

Also these:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...ages_200g.html

http://www.frysvegetarian.co.za/prod...onal-sausages/
kimindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 17:19
FluffyEgg

Get some real meat inside ya
Old 15-11-2009, 17:37
EleanorRigby
Forum Member

I recently bought some LM vegetarian sausages from Fartfoods

( or was it Farmfoods ) and they were 1 for six.

They were OK but nothing like the taste of real good quality sausages,but OK for a pound.
EleanorRigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 18:05
Mrs Fosdyke
Forum Member

Redwood Foods sausages are nice (Holland and Barrett).
Mrs Fosdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 19:50
hastalavegan
Forum Member

Redwood Foods sausages are nice (Holland and Barrett).
Yep, Redwoods do amazing sausages. Their hot dogs are awesome and I love the Lancashire sausages. Got some waiting in the fridge right now
hastalavegan is offline   Reply With Quote