Options

Weird Jedward Item in the Daily Mail

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Hi all

I'm a long term lurcker on this forum but thought I would join due to this article I saw in the Daily Mail. Granted I generally don't believe a word that's printed in the DM and this comes from what looks like a columnist rather than 'news' so I would regard it as even less credible but I just wondered if anyone else had seen it or had heard anything about this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1229048/EPHRAIM-HARDCASTLE-Louis-Walsh-praises-Jedward-uncanny-gift-remembering-numbers--doubt-hope-remember-percentage.html

Basically it includes an 'alleged' quote from Louis that Jedward are mildly autistic.

Apologies if I've not posted this correctly or if there is already a thread on this. As I say I'm new. Please don't judge me!

Comments

• Options
    EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have recently been assessed for mild autism myself and would be extremely surprised if the twins were affected. They seem to be far too outgoing and communicative.

ADHD on the other hand ... :p

Edit: PS, forgot to say welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    Michelle12Michelle12 Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit - sorry dumb moment. Didn't realise it was debate.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard anyone mention this before so I wonder about this appearing in the press now. There's been so much written about the twins you'd think we'd have heard already of they had autistic tendencies. Maybe the reporter is just drawing conclusions from Simon'a remarks about them being off in a world of their own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How surreal, we've never heard anything like that before!

(And the twins have never shown they've got a good head for numbers before either!)
  • Options
    Michelle12Michelle12 Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louis has spoken to the twins parents several times. He keeps in contact with them. Perhaps it came from the parents?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disnae wrote: »
    I haven't heard anyone mention this before so I wonder about this appearing in the press now. There's been so much written about the twins you'd think we'd have heard already of they had autistic tendencies. Maybe the reporter is just drawing conclusions from Simon'a remarks about them being off in a world of their own.

They certainly do seem a little "off" (in a very nice way), but I agree we'd probably have heard about it by now if they really were autistic. Remember how much was made of Scott James's autism during the auditions?

On the other hand, if the report is true then the twins have done a phenomenal job of getting as far as they have in the competition. I'd be interested to know more about this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That did cross my mind as they seem to zone out at times, and say things that some might consider to be slightly odd. They also seem to be a little unrealistic in thinking they could date Britney or get Robbie to come to their birthday party! I noticed on the film premiere video that Edward also has what is considered to be an 'Asperger's run' (like Mr Bean) They could well have mild Asperger's but I wouldn't consider that a disability in their case, it makes them charming. I would suspect ADHD too :D
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    How surreal, we've never heard anything like that before!

(And the twins have never shown they've got a good head for numbers before either!)

Well no they haven't, but how would they have on the X Factor?
  • Options
    Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    That did cross my mind as they seem to zone out at times, and say things that some might consider to be slightly odd. They also seem to be a little unrealistic in thinking they could date Britney or get Robbie to come to their birthday party! They could well have mild Asperger's but I wouldn't consider that a disability in their case, it makes them charming. I would suspect ADHD too :D

I think that was said "tongue in cheek". ;)
  • Options
    willywonkerwillywonker Posts: 16,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps this is another ploy to get support.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I highly doubt they have autism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellef wrote: »
    They certainly do seem a little "off" (in a very nice way), but I agree we'd probably have heard about it by now if they really were autistic. Remember how much was made of Scott James's autism during the auditions?

On the other hand, if the report is true then the twins have done a phenomenal job of getting as far as they have in the competition. I'd be interested to know more about this.

I've always thought that the way they behave is a result of the fact they seem to be insanely close (not in that way perverts!) rather than having a balanced social life. If you're spending all your time with someone who is essentially you with different ears it's a rather limited way to develop social and emotional skills.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that was said "tongue in cheek". ;)

Yeah I suppose so, but hasn't Edward mentioned dating Britney a few times now?! I think ultimately it doesn't matter. Tony Attwood has said that everyone is somewhere on the autistic spectrum anyway, it's all a matter of degree. They have very endearing personalities, and that's all that counts :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps this is another ploy to get support.

That did cross my mind too. The twins don't seem to have arrived on the show with a built-in sob story.

Edit: Unless you count "being the twins" :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I personally think it's just a blunder on Louis' part, eejit that he is sometimes! He probably wanted to express the fact that they were uncanny at remembering numbers and the only way he could think of to describe this trait was as them being "mildly autistic". He was probably thinking back to Rainman or some such. He couldn't just say they were intelligent young men, heaven forbid!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no they haven't, but how would they have on the X Factor?

True...but they can't even remember the names of their dogs! Memory skills: Not great from what we've seen!:p
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this is after all an article in the vilest, most bigoted and poisonous piece of filth in the land, namely The Daily Mail :mad:
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    This has got me wondering now. Autistic people often have a very literal interpretation of language and i'm remembering when Cheryl asked the boys where they saw themselves being in 10 years time and John (or maybe it was Edward:confused:) replied that they saw themselves being older! :DYou couldn't get a more literal response!

Anyway, it just all adds to their charm , I like their little quirky comments.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    i saw this article earlier and i did a double take. weird it hasn't been mentioned anywhere else....
  • Options
    mollymoonymollymoony Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Louis probably doesn't understand what autistic means!
  • Options
    littlemissbblittlemissbb Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did wonder whether they had a very, very mild form of autism since people were saying how unfocused they were at times. What with that at Simon saying that they are on another planet - it's very mild but I reckon there's a bit of something there, personally.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how widespread "mild autism", I wouldn't be suprised.

Tempted to add
    "Does it matter?" :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all

I'm a long term lurcker on this forum but thought I would join due to this article I saw in the Daily Mail. Granted I generally don't believe a word that's printed in the DM and this comes from what looks like a columnist rather than 'news' so I would regard it as even less credible but I just wondered if anyone else had seen it or had heard anything about this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1229048/EPHRAIM-HARDCASTLE-Louis-Walsh-praises-Jedward-uncanny-gift-remembering-numbers--doubt-hope-remember-percentage.html

Basically it includes an 'alleged' quote from Louis that Jedward are mildly autist

Apologies if I've not posted this correctly or if there is already a thread on this. As I say I'm new. Please don't judge me!

Welcome to the Foum :)
    Hey do,ty worry about being judged, its only a forum with varying age groups and different opinions. You will get people who agree with some comments and others that do not. The key thing is not to take anything personally. You will soon settle into it.

Back to your post topic
    If the twins do have a mild form of autism maybe they have difficulty remembering the song lyrics. Perhaps that is why they have so much help on stage.

Not having a go at them here, you Jedward fans :)
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never got the Asperger's vibe from them. I know a lot of people with asperger's syndrome.

ADHD on the other hand......possibly. Edward more so than John.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    I've never got the Asperger's vibe from them. I know a lot of people with asperger's syndrome.

ADHD on the other hand......possibly. Edward more so than John.

I would go more for the ADHD myself but as there is a high degree of comorbidity, I wouldn't be suprised by mild Aspergers as well.