Options

ZERO digital channels on Panasonic TV after DSO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Have Panasonic TX-28DTX1 about three and a half years old. Worked fine getting Freeview until I retuned late October when it failed to pick up BBC1 and BBC2 although about 15 other channels came through. However, disaster . . . when I retuned on Dec 3rd it returned a message 'no DVB programs in list'. Tried retuning many times since, including back to Shipping Condition. Have tried switching aerials (I have 3 chimney mounted). Zero result. Phoned Digital UK, no clues gleaned there. Phoned Panasonic; again no help - except they confirmed my software is 'up to date' and could only suggest I try tuning another TV set using the same aerials in order to 'check the aerials first'. But I have no other TV set - so what . . . buy one! HELP ! I am a technical twit; know nothing about WIGS, WUZZES, iPLODS, CAMS, etc. Just want a TV that works ! HELP.

Comments

• Options
    LoreLore Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Misterfyer wrote: »
    Have Panasonic TX-28DTX1 about three and a half years old. Worked fine getting Freeview until I retuned late October when it failed to pick up BBC1 and BBC2 although about 15 other channels came through. However, disaster . . . when I retuned on Dec 3rd it returned a message 'no DVB programs in list'. Tried retuning many times since, including back to Shipping Condition. Have tried switching aerials (I have 3 chimney mounted). Zero result. Phoned Digital UK, no clues gleaned there. Phoned Panasonic; again no help - except they confirmed my software is 'up to date' and could only suggest I try tuning another TV set using the same aerials in order to 'check the aerials first'. But I have no other TV set - so what . . . buy one! HELP ! I am a technical twit; know nothing about WIGS, WUZZES, iPLODS, CAMS, etc. Just want a TV that works ! HELP.

Obviously can't be 100% sure but quite a few TX models are listed as not compatible with the 8k signal used after switchover - this would seem to tie in with you losing BBC channels first as these switch first. If it is that, Panasonic should have known. It's worth going back to them and asking this specifically.

If it is a 2k only set, the good news that if Panasonic can't update it you could just add a cheap Freeview box to it to effectively replace the built-in tuner.

There's a list here
    www.digitaluk.co.uk/2kequipment

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,800
    Forum Member
    Misterfyer have you been through digital switchover recently? The reason I ask is that there have been reports of the firmware in this set not coping with the negative offset on some channels (as in frequency).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lore wrote: »
    Obviously can't be 100% sure but quite a few TX models are listed as not compatible with the 8k signal used after switchover - this would seem to tie in with you losing BBC channels first as these switch first. If it is that, Panasonic should have known. It's worth going back to them and asking this specifically.

If it is a 2k only set, the good news that if Panasonic can't update it you could just add a cheap Freeview box to it to effectively replace the built-in tuner.

There's a list here
    www.digitaluk.co.uk/2kequipment

Hope that helps.
    Thanks so much for caring to help. I don't really know what '8k' and '2k' refer to but having checked the link I see that Panasonic TX-28DT is listed as a bum deal; I suspect that is a generic which includes TX-28DTX1. I will thus get back to Panasonic as you suggest and check this. Thanks. As regards buying a cheap 'box'; fine, I can afford it but resent having to. Also I just want a simple TV like in the old days, not a stack of boxes and wires. I already have a decoder box for my Hotbird dish (wife is Polish so we need it) and some silly box for DVDs which I never watch. I'll have to raise the ceiling level soon. Thanks anyway, you're a pal. Misty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    Misterfyer have you been through digital switchover recently? The reason I ask is that there have been reports of the firmware in this set not coping with the negative offset on some channels (as in frequency).
    Thanks for reply. Yes, we had partial switchover about a month ago and then another (god knows why) on Dec 2. Which is why I retuned. Although I am thankful for your kindness in replying, I don't really know what is meant by 'firmware' or 'negative offset'. Is there anything I could do myself to deal with either of these things if they are the source of problems? You refer to 'some' channels, but I have zero ! Such is life. Maybe I'll emigrate to Zimbabwe after all.
  • Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Misterfyer wrote: »
    I don't really know what is meant by 'firmware' or 'negative offset'. Is there anything I could do myself to deal with either of these things?

Present-day audio-visual (AV) entertainment equipment is electronic and contains somewhat similar technology to a personal computer. As such, your AV equipment is running software as does a PC. In order to convey that this software is less ephemoral than PC software, but is not physical like hardware, the hybrid term, "firmware" is used.

If a weakness in a piece of equipment is in its firmware, then potentially installation of a manufacturer's replacement firmware as a DIY action by the consumer, could correct it. Replacement firmware is occasionally transmitted over both terrestrial (Freeview and TopUpTV) and satellite TV systems (Freesat and Sky); equipment checks for its availability either nightly or on some models, continuously. AV manufacturers commonly offer updated AV firmware files for free download on their websites, for use (in conjunction with a PC) by confident PC users.

As a consumer, whether or not a shortcoming is in practice fixed by new firmware, depends on whether the manufacturer is "minded" to offer that level of after-sales support. :( / :)

Negative offset (used here) describes a situation when a TV signal is transmitted on a frequency which has been tweaked to be intentionally lower than the conventional frequency of its stated "RF Channel". e.g. BBC Radio 4 might promote its FM frequency as 94.10 MHz but actually be transmitted on 94.08 Mhz. A commercial radio station I listen to is Star 107, which transmits on 107.10 Mhz, which could be said to be a "positive offset". The reason for doing this, is to give a little more "breathing space" between TV signals which are apparently on adjacent RF Channels. Some Freeview equipment's firmware was written to search only exactly on the conventional frequencies for TV signals - and therefore those devices wouldn't find signals transmitted with a (positive or) negative offset.

Regards
  • Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Apparently, the latest firmware for your model is v2.48, you could check which version you have installed. ("v" being an abbreviation of "Version").
    Rutherbobs wrote: »
    For Panasonic models:

TX-28DTX1 TX-32DTX1 TX-28DTX10 TX-32DTX10
    TX-28DTX11 TX-32DTX11 TX-28DT4 TX-32DT4
    TX-28DT40 TX-32DT40 TX-32DTX40

The software version should be 2.48 - this was [transmitted/provided as an Over Air Download (OAD)] on 29-30 September 2009, but some people missed it.

The latest software will resolve any current issues and should make these units OK for switchover to 8K.

Hope that this information helps you all.

It was repeated at the end of November 2009.
    MYK-IT wrote: »
    OAD next week

Wed 25-11-2009 10am to Sat 28-11-2009 9am

v2.48 (Repeat)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=36618947#post36618947

It is necessary to do a Factory Reset when "retuning", not merely an Automatic Search.

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi

Apparently, the latest firmware for your model is v2.48, you could check which version you have installed. ("v" being an abbreviation of "Version").

It was repeated at the end of November 2009.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=36618947#post36618947

It is necessary to do a Factory Reset when "retuning", not merely an Automatic Search.

Regards

Many thanks for your interesting and helpful comments so clearly explained. I am inching my way forward (reluctantly) into this century.
    Indeed, my soft/firmware is up to date with v2.48 and yes, I have used the factory reset state. But all to no avail. I am curious as to how other forum members (e.g. Rutherbobs) seem so confident about their information - whilst at the same time using the word 'should'!

I contacted a techie at DigitalUK who more or less confirmed that my Panasonic model is amongst those not likely to work. So I suspect that the latest version firmware is still inadequate despite everyone's hopes.

I think that the final death knell for my set was when they switched off analogue in my region on Dec 2. Although I am far too simple to know why. (It partially retuned successfully in the weeks preceding this event in the first stages of digital switchover.)

Once again, thanks. I will try Panasonic again for any last hope they can help.