Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Hyped-up books that you were disappointed with

Old 23-12-2009, 22:30
bubbsy
Forum Member

The Lovely Bones & Duma Key.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-12-2009, 22:59
SageDragon
Forum Member

To answer the OP, I hated Wuthering Heights.
I'll second that - may have another go sometime, but I think many people conveniently overlook the grittier parts of the plot...
SageDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 06:24
Lemonhunny
Forum Member

So was I. I'd been recommended it by quite a few people and ended up hating it! I don't know how I managed to finish it.
I didn't finish it, and I *never* leave a book unfinished unless it's really dire.

TTTW is one of those - I think I only managed about 50 pages before I just gave up.
Lemonhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 10:03
Little Ali
Forum Member

Not really a hyped-up book as such, but The Portrait of Dorian Grey really disappointed me.
Little Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 12:25
LaVieEnRose
Forum Member

Everything I've read that's had a Richard & Judy recommendation sticker on it. I take it as a useful tip now to leave well alone.
LaVieEnRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 13:00
sarahcs
Forum Member

Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Slow start, then got brilliant until the last page. I hated the end so much I threw the book across the room!
sarahcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 15:06
dancingjones

I was lent several Terry Pratchet (however it's spelt) books by someone at work and I just couldn't get into them.

I thought they were smug and stupid.

As if the author was saying, "Look at me, aren't I wacky. It's hilarious isn't it?"

I gave up in the end and gave them back.
Old 24-12-2009, 15:10
dancingjones

I'll second that - may have another go sometime, but I think many people conveniently overlook the grittier parts of the plot...
I never hated Wuthering Heights but I used to get lost in the middle of it and give up.

Then I got an abridged audio book and loved it.
Old 24-12-2009, 17:29
UnlikelyHeroine
Forum Member

I was lent several Terry Pratchet (however it's spelt) books by someone at work and I just couldn't get into them.

I thought they were smug and stupid.

As if the author was saying, "Look at me, aren't I wacky. It's hilarious isn't it?"

I gave up in the end and gave them back.
Yes, I've never been able to get into the Discworld books either, the attempts at humour always feel forced and, well... unfunny! Massively overrated as far as I'm concerned. I seem to remember enjoying the Truckers series when I was a kid though.
UnlikelyHeroine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 19:59
mirandashell
Forum Member

The Da Vince Code. Badly written tripe in my opinion.

I loved The Life of Pi. Found it fascinating. Quite enjoyed Curious Incident...
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 20:55
Little man
Forum Member

Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island. Patronising, superficial, unwitty and mind-numbingly boring. On the strength of this (I would never touch any more of his output), I cannot believe the high regard in which he is held.
Little man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 05:56
suzzle
Forum Member

I was very disappointed with The Time Traveller's Wife.
Ditto. Had to force myself to finish it.

Bought thhe first few books of the True Blood series after watching the TV show. B-O-R-I-N-G. There is no life (Ha Ha!) in the characters. Can't relate to them. Don't care about them. The producers/writers did an amazing job to produce watchable TV from these books. After reading the first book I left the others unread and actually lost interest in the TV show. How bad is that? LOL!
suzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 16:35
marvola45
Forum Member

Good thread.

I just finished 'My Sister's Keeper' last night. If it hadn't have been my sister's book, I would have thrown it in the bin straight afterwards. I've never been more disgusted with an ending. I can't decide whether it's cliched, a cop-out, lazy or just purely bad writing.

Also disappointed with 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but that had more potential. 'Da Vinci Code' is another example of a poorly written book, but I can't really consider myself disappointed as I wasn't expecting much in the first place.

'Love in the Time of Cholera' is one I had to read for Uni, and I detested it. Can't understand why it is revered so much.
marvola45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:06
Teddybleads
Forum Member

Lots...
The Kite Runner I found too sickly-sweet..all it needed was a bow on top.
The Lovely Bones - not lovely and not particularly boney either.
Line of Beauty how it won the booker over Colud Atlas I will never understand.
That thing about Ukrainian Tractors - read like an old episode of Crossroads.
Brick Lane - and?
All of Satre - snap out of it and pull yourself together or else try some Herman Hess,
The Sound and the Fury - Life's too short.
Teddybleads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:23
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

The Lovely Bones & Duma Key.
Me too on The Lovely Bones but I adored Duma Key! But I am a huge King fan, so it was likely I was going to like it.

The Da Vince Code. Badly written tripe in my opinion.

I loved The Life of Pi. Found it fascinating. Quite enjoyed Curious Incident...
Glad to see I am not the only one who finds Dan Brown not all he is cracked up to be!

Good thread.

I just finished 'My Sister's Keeper' last night. If it hadn't have been my sister's book, I would have thrown it in the bin straight afterwards. I've never been more disgusted with an ending. I can't decide whether it's cliched, a cop-out, lazy or just purely bad writing.
Also disappointed with 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but that had more potential. 'Da Vinci Code' is another example of a poorly written book, but I can't really consider myself disappointed as I wasn't expecting much in the first place.

'Love in the Time of Cholera' is one I had to read for Uni, and I detested it. Can't understand why it is revered so much.
I think its all 3. Cop out - definitely. Not sure what to do with the character so do the one thing that means you don't have to do anything worthwhile with the character. Cliched - absolutely for pretty much the same reasons as above. Bad writing - unusual for this author, but in this case, agreed!
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 21:33
thats_racist
Forum Member

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

I managed about 3/4 of it before literally throwing it across the room in sheer frustration.
thats_racist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:28
weateallthepies
Forum Member

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

As usual when a mainstream author writes a half decent science fiction novel, the mainstream world proclaims it as brilliant and new when it's been done better many times and way before in the science fiction genre.

Sadly there are many people who simply won't pick up a book marketed as science fiction and there are plenty of literary snobs who continue have a weird science fiction denial even as they read it. So these sort of novels tend to get way more credit than they deserve.

It wasn't awful, it was quite a good read. There are just better post-apocalyptic novels and I didn't think it brought anything new to the mix that hasn't been done before.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:38
Loubychew
Forum Member

Donna Tartt - The Little Friend. Hyped to high heaven, massive let down. Boring, boring, boring.
Loubychew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 22:46
mb@2day
Forum Member

deleted post
mb@2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 23:02
matthews dad
Forum Member

Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island. Patronising, superficial, unwitty and mind-numbingly boring. On the strength of this (I would never touch any more of his output), I cannot believe the high regard in which he is held.
WHAT!!!

Billy B is a literary god.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka was OK but massively overrated.
matthews dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 00:08
Little man
Forum Member

WHAT!!!

Billy B is a literary god.
Disagree with me by all means, but there's no need for the "mad" smiley.
Little man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 00:24
Turquoise
Forum Member

I agree with the bit in bold. I read one of his books, and it was OK, but it got a bit samey after a while- just page after page of him in motels and restaurants and driving along. Occasionally he'd say something funny, but overall I couldn't help but feel that once you'd read one of his books, you'd read them all.
Turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:06
Zeole
Inactive Member

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

As usual when a mainstream author writes a half decent science fiction novel, the mainstream world proclaims it as brilliant and new when it's been done better many times and way before in the science fiction genre.

Sadly there are many people who simply won't pick up a book marketed as science fiction and there are plenty of literary snobs who continue have a weird science fiction denial even as they read it. So these sort of novels tend to get way more credit than they deserve.

It wasn't awful, it was quite a good read. There are just better post-apocalyptic novels and I didn't think it brought anything new to the mix that hasn't been done before.
I apologise from diverting from the topic somewhat, but post apocalyptic titles really interest me, could you recommend me some?
Zeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33
kate36
Forum Member

I was very disappointed with The Time Traveller's Wife.
same here!!
also

'the house at riverton' so boring [yawn!]

'the lost symbol' [dan brown] not a patch on the others!
kate36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

same here!!
also

'the house at riverton' so boring [yawn!]

'the lost symbol' [dan brown] not a patch on the others!
I think The House at Riverton was probably my worst attempt at reading a book. I seem to remember only making it through about 15 pages before I gave up!
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote