Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Laminate flooring vs wood vs carpet

View Poll Results: Laminate flooring vs wood vs carpet
Laminate flooring 5 11.11%
Wood flooring 18 40.00%
Carpet flooring 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:14
Tumble weed
Forum Member

Hey, currently giving my house a makeover and am in the lounge atm - we've just had the floor relayed / leveled as it was a bit shit before so want to know what is currently in / what would add value to the property.

The area to be covered is the hallway, lounge & dining room.

This article ( http://www.propertyinvestmentproject...-wooden-floor/ ) seems to suggest going for real wood or carpet but I don't know which.

Thanks.
Tumble weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:20
Fizzbin
Forum Member

A good parquet is best. Shop around though, I managed to find some parquet for my home office & was less than laminate would have been.

There is another type you might consider - bamboo. Apparently the most 'green' way of flooring, as bamboo is the fastest growing plant so is easily regrown.
Fizzbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:22
LaChatteGitane
Forum Member

Real wood, always.
LaChatteGitane is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:28
Dragonlady 25
Forum Member

In the present conditions, carpet every time!!

We have laminate and it's not warm!!!

I like the idea of bamboo, but doesn't it have loads of bumps??

Dragonlady 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31
2shy2007
Forum Member

I would never have wood or laminate in a lounge, too blooming cold. We are just about to have our hall and dining room carpets taken up, and rhino floor put down, with wood effect, it is tough as old boots and non slip.
2shy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:41
jarryhack
Forum Member

I have laminate down in my hall and dining room and I am getting it torn up and replaced with carpets as soon as possible. It is cold (especially at the mo!!). You can't beat the cosyness of carpets.
jarryhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43
yorkiegal
Forum Member

I have laminate in the hallway and in this cold weather it seems to have become very slippery. I much prefer carpet.
yorkiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50
allfiredup
Forum Member

If you get some underfloor heating, engineered real wood flooring is what you'll need!
allfiredup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:59
lemoncurd
Forum Member

Underfloor heating: wood or stone.
Otherwise: carpet.

Never laminate. Awful stuff that came around during the early 90s DIY boom alla Changing Rooms, invariably poorly fitted, echoey and cold, poor wearing and, like all particle board products, environmentally bad.
lemoncurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:03
CJ32
Forum Member

Really depends on tastes... Most people want a cosy lounge though, which would mean carpet. Compared to there, wood would work better in the dining room and hallway but again, it depends on your tastes. Laminate seems good for rental properties or where you can't afford wood.
CJ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:18
rosemary
Forum Member

I would never have wood or laminate in a lounge, too blooming cold. We are just about to have our hall and dining room carpets taken up, and rhino floor put down, with wood effect, it is tough as old boots and non slip.
We've got rhino flooring on the whole of our downstairs, its not to everyones taste, but it is very tough and easy to clean which, along with it being non slip, makes it great for pet owners, also its not too cold underfoot.
rosemary is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21
adopter
Forum Member

Real wood is warmer than laminate and looks and feels a million times nicer (well laminate just doesn't look nice at all so not difficult). A few rugs will keep it cosy.
adopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:23
2shy2007
Forum Member

Thats why we decided on rhino floor, the carpet in the dining room is being ruined by the dog in and out of the back door, we want something tough, easy to clean and not too cold.

I would not consider laminate, cheap and nasty, I have relatives who have it and their dogs skate all over it, and it scratches really easy.

I love carpet, and I could never get rid of it in the lounge or upstairs.
2shy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:26
DaisyBumbleroot
Forum Member

laminate and wood is easier to hoover if you have pets.
we have the floorboards exposed in the front room and they look good, but are a little gappy in places and let the cold air through, so we are getting carpet put down.
DaisyBumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48
seacam
Forum Member

Hey, currently giving my house a makeover and am in the lounge atm - we've just had the floor relayed / leveled as it was a bit shit before so want to know what is currently in / what would add value to the property.

The area to be covered is the hallway, lounge & dining room.

This article ( http://www.propertyinvestmentproject...-wooden-floor/ ) seems to suggest going for real wood or carpet but I don't know which.

Thanks.
Hello Tumble,

Carpet won't add value to a property, real wood/timber floors may.
seacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:03
slapmatt
Forum Member

I think laminate looks good if it is done properly, so laid professionally with the skirting replaced on top of the floor. Too many people do a shoddy job of it.

We had proper wooden floor boards in a previous house and they looked excellent.

If it is an entrance hall then have you considered having tiles? I've seen a house that has tiles in the entrance hall and leading into the kitchen and I think it look very good and I guess would also be very hard wearing and easy to clean.

Saying all that, we currently have carpets throughout because that's what the house came with!
slapmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21
Missbegotten
Inactive Member

My current house has laminate in the dining room and living room and it is the coldest place on Earth. I can't keep it warm at all even with big rugs.

As soon as the weather improves I am replacing the stuff with carpet in the dining room. The living room will have to wait for a while until I sort out something for the hall that will stop dirt being tracked into the living room. I do love the idea of tiles for the hall though but wwe will definitely need a good door mat.
Missbegotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:00
Hotbunz
Forum Member

Real wood is warmer than laminate and looks and feels a million times nicer (well laminate just doesn't look nice at all so not difficult). A few rugs will keep it cosy.
Agreed. I have a solid oak staircase and oak flooring in the kitchen and bathroom and it's definitely not cold to walk on. The stairs aren't quite finished yet but everyone always comments on how good the stairs and kitchen floor look.
Hotbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:05
gorillathebino
Forum Member

Proper wooden flooring, with appropriate heating/underlay.
gorillathebino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:17
RAINBOWGIRL22
Forum Member

If I could afford it real wood flooring always!!!

As we are moving into a second floor flat with lots of stairs we've gone with carpet in the new place... Our current place has laminate which is easy to keep clean.

If we could have afforded it we would have gone with Amtico as opposed to laminate though!
RAINBOWGIRL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:39
twingle
Forum Member

In my last home I put in Pergo laminate which is the top end of the market and wasn't the lay and click type. It wasn't cold and looked as good as wood.

I have put laminate in the hall here and I agree is much colder but I am struggling with rest of house which has beige carpets. I just look at them and they have a mark! I may put in laminate but a warm colour! I have been told my house isn't suitable for real wood. Can't remember why!
twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:16
bornslippy
Forum Member

so want to know what is currently in / what would add value to the property.
Carpet is making a big comeback in the same way that material sofas have made a big comeback against leather.

But I also think a wood floor is something a new buyer would consider keeping, whereas carpet is something the vast majority would always be looking to replace.

Real wood/engineered wood can give a wow factor. Carpet is more about the overall feel it gives to a room.

So in conclusion, there is no answer and you should pick what suits you. Sod the value, pick something you like!!
bornslippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:26
Fizzbin
Forum Member

I've actually had some samples of bamboo flooring, & it seems to be more warm than normal parquet or laminate.

They're making great trivets atm.
Fizzbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:37
Poppy Seed
Forum Member

If you get some underfloor heating, engineered real wood flooring is what you'll need!
Agree. Can't beat real wood, preferably oak. Bamboo not too bad, but can look like cheap laminate.
Poppy Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 17:52
bubbsy
Forum Member

I wouldn't have anything other than carpet in the lounge. It looks and feels homely and warm, and is quiet for footsteps.

I would actually be put off from buying a place that had real wood flooring throughout. Too rough, cold & noisy.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote