Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

PS3 blu-ray diode lifespan

Old 17-01-2010, 16:55
stevosowl
Forum Member

With my own and some of my friends ps3's blu-ray diode burning out between 18 months and 2 years of low usage, are we about to see a console with 100% failure rate?

its not looking good

how long should a device like this last, if it comes down to arguing with sony for a repair in the courts?
stevosowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-01-2010, 17:27
Elan Morin
Forum Member

console with 100% failure rate? this aint the xbox 360 with RROD problems.
Elan Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 17:31
stevosowl
Forum Member

console with 100% failure rate? this aint the xbox 360 with RROD problems.
the diode in ALL ps3s will fail at some point

the question is, how long is that lifespan?
Old 17-01-2010, 17:32
Elan Morin
Forum Member

what are you? an electonics engineer at some repair facility? have you got some proof beyond your friends?
Elan Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 17:57
The_Yeti
Forum Member

what are you? an electonics engineer at some repair facility? have you got some proof beyond your friends?
I think he's been reading this article;

http://gizmodo.com/5449974/is-a-firm...blu+ray-drives

I think there is something fishy with the PS3 failure rates. Nearly everyone in the clan I was in are now onto their second PS3. I'm onto my third in 3 years.
The_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:06
N43
Forum Member

Got 2 ps3's high usage , 2 and half years. Nothing wrong.
N43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:10
Chparmar
Forum Member

It's nowhere near as bad as Xbox 360's Red Ring of Death, so I think Sony will be okay!

And all consoles eventually have a 100% failure rate! The more newer and complicated the sooner they will fail!
Chparmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:35
DEADLY_17
Forum Member

agree about the RROD of comments

Sony are very good when it comes to repairs, and tbh i know alot of people eho have had PS£ since lauch and still theres is going strong
DEADLY_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 18:40
mad_dude

I think there is something fishy with the PS3 failure rates. Nearly everyone in the clan I was in are now onto their second PS3. I'm onto my third in 3 years.
I have a PS3 which is on nearly constantly 8+ Hours a day playing DVD's, Blu-Rays, Games, PS2 games it is a launch 60gb still not failed. so 100% failure rate is a bit of a misnomer.

Btw it is on nearly that amount of time because I cannot recieve freeview in my room so I use the PS3 for most of my television viewing.
mad_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 11:12
stattospur
Forum Member

Is your clan the ' PS3 sink or swim clan ' ?
stattospur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 11:26
lawrenma2
Forum Member

agree about the RROD of comments

Sony are very good when it comes to repairs, and tbh i know alot of people eho have had PS£ since lauch and still theres is going strong
I could be wrong, but think Microsoft offered xbox customers a 3 year warranty against this particular issue.

Don't think Sony offered consumers any sort of official warranty to covering YLOD or this blu ray diode issue, although it depends on how much you kick up and use the old "well, I expected a £300 console to last longer than 18 months" line.
lawrenma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 13:33
N43
Forum Member

Microsoft were forced to give an the extended warranty, which has cost them well over a billion dollars.
N43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 13:35
mad_dude

If anyone has played a PSone and PS2 you will see the PS3 blu-ray laser as actually quite good.
Old 18-01-2010, 20:01
Pidge
Forum Member

In fairness Yeti you are on your 3rd cos you throw yours at your TV when i Noob Toob ya!!! lol!

Nah seriously, I have had (what was originally a 40gb) machine for 2 years. I put my own 120gb drive in it and i have done every firmware update with no issued (finds nearest piece of wood to touch (no perverse comments please!)) and no problems at all with MW2 or any other game

The occasional freeze over the last 2 years on various games etc but nothin no one else has not had!

It is hit and miss but it ceratinly aint RROD failure rates!
Pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:28
The Sack
Forum Member

If anyone has played a PSone and PS2 you will see the PS3 blu-ray laser as actually quite good.
It wasnt the laser diode that wore out on the PS1 it was the plastic mounting, this was replaced with a metal one and the whole assembly moved away from the PSU to reduce heat when the issue became apparent so to say the original Playstation has a bad laser isnt quite correct, only some did.
The Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 20:43
mad_dude

It wasnt the laser diode that wore out on the PS1 it was the plastic mounting, this was replaced with a metal one and the whole assembly moved away from the PSU to reduce heat when the issue became apparent so to say the original Playstation has a bad laser isnt quite correct, only some did.
It still had the same effect in which the PS1 and PS2 wouldnt read disks.
Old 19-01-2010, 00:02
The_Yeti
Forum Member

Is your clan the ' PS3 sink or swim clan ' ?
WTF Mav? It's your damn clan!

In fairness Yeti you are on your 3rd cos you throw yours at your TV when i Noob Toob ya!!! lol!
Hey Pidge, I was feeling slightly sensitive as I was being noobtubed all day that day! I didnt expect my own clan mate to do that...although I should of preempted it from a guy who exclusively ran around with Martyrdom and Juggernaut in COD4! I J/K
Apologies for being so rude. MW2 was the only game to ever make my blood pressure to rise! Glad that I dont have it now.

Back on topic, I'm sure I used my PS3s as much as the next guy, kept it clean, ventilated and dust free. I never overused either of them, and I always made sure that the fans cleared all the excess heat. I always had a few crashes but to find that TWO PS3's going down even though I never abused them is slightly weird imo.

Now onto my third one, I actually very rarely use it now as I'm scared it will go the same way as the other two. It seems that I have lost a lot of faith in it.
The_Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 06:59
Rich243
Forum Member

i don't understand how something, the laser diode, can fail, it doesn't physically touch the disc just reads it

until last night i had never had any problems with any games console i've had, but looks like now i will have to repair my PS3 or buy a new one, and compared with most if not all PS3 users on here, hand on heart, in 2 years mine has hardly been used

i bought it more for its versatility as a do (almost) anything console, and i always buy Sony products
Rich243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 14:51
mattshenton
Inactive Member

got original 60gig model (upgraded to 500gig) had since launch, use for at least 3-4hours per day somedays have know to have 10 hours plus.

my ps3 sits behind my 32" lcd tv no problems and i've dropped it once during its life span.

No product is 100% certain to work perfect after so long but you might get luck. My sega megadrive still works but my xbox (long gone) died a horrible death.......i chucked it on the bonfire because it was s++t!!!!!
mattshenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 22:28
Arthur Hucksake
Forum Member

My 40GB PS3 went after 16 months, I had to fork out £130 for a repair. The bluetooth function had completely blown, gutted.

Say what you want about the 360, but I could have bought a brand new Arcade replacement for £109, had it repaired by Microsoft for £65 or for free if it were the RROD.

If my recondition PS3 replacement goes they will expect me to fork out another £130 which I aint doing.

It's all good and well being more reliable but if it happens to you, and the service behind it is a far more expensive exercise, it becomes a problem.
Arthur Hucksake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 16:25
stevosowl
Forum Member

sony are going to have a big problem on their hands

a console is expected to last more than a couple of years - they should repair them all for free.

i found terrible customer service when i contacted them about a repair
Old 20-01-2010, 18:36
mad_dude

a console is expected to last more than a couple of years - they should repair them all for free.

Their last two generations of consoles have been a lot worse in terms of reliability. from sony and that hasnt caused any big problems yet.
Old 20-01-2010, 22:27
MC_Satan
Forum Member

I know of no-one personally who owns a PS3 who has had this happen. From a couple of import consoles, 3 launch issues, 2 40gig models and about 5 models later than that. So that doesn't seem so bad. Certainly better than the rrod spree that 80% of my 360 owning friends have experienced.
MC_Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55
twobells
Forum Member

I am on my FOURTH PS3, each one the store and/or Sony said looked and behaved like new due to the care I took with them. Each one failed for exactly the same reason:

Blue diode dying

At first the occasional dual-layer disc will not read then eventually all dual layer discs will not read.

The way you ID a dl disc is by looking at the inner circle of the disc concerned, see the rings? If it is Dual layer there will be two rings, with the words '0 layer' and '1 layer'

Every one of the failures on my systems were dual layer discs that failed on my PS3's,

I can only assume that it is built-in obsolescence because 4 different PS3's built between 2006 and 2011 cannot all have been fitted with the same bad stock of KES 400/410/420/450's, that is just ludicrous, no it is quite obvious at this point that Sony have followed Hewlett-Packard in designing in part obsolescence as a means to further sales.
twobells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 13:39
ballybally
Forum Member

No they won't.

The PS3 is 6/7 years old now. If this was as big an issue as you'd like everyone to believe I think we'd have heard a bit more about it.

I am on my FOURTH PS3, each one the store and/or Sony said looked and behaved like new due to the care I took with them. Each one failed for exactly the same reason:

Blue diode dying

At first the occasional dual-layer disc will not read then eventually all dual layer discs will not read.

The way you ID a dl disc is by looking at the inner circle of the disc concerned, see the rings? If it is Dual layer there will be two rings, with the words '0 layer' and '1 layer'

Every one of the failures on my systems were dual layer discs that failed on my PS3's,

I can only assume that it is built-in obsolescence because 4 different PS3's built between 2006 and 2011 cannot all have been fitted with the same bad stock of KES 400/410/420/450's, that is just ludicrous, no it is quite obvious at this point that Sony have followed Hewlett-Packard in designing in part obsolescence as a means to further sales.
I find this very strange. I've never heard of any dying before this thread (that's not to say I'm saying they don't) but for you to have 4 out of 4 is just impossible to me.
ballybally is offline   Reply With Quote