Options

Neighbour has no road tax

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
Forum Member
I live in a house that has been converted into two flats, and each flat has a space for one car on the front drive. However, the woman in the downstairs flat has no valid road tax - in fact, it expired in March 2009!

I'm not a grass by any means, but it annoys me that I'm paying mine like any other road user yet she doesn't. So I contacted the DVLA - a total of FIVE times - and still, nearly a year later, she still has no tax disc displayed in her car!

So I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now. The thing is, she's a careless driver. The car is covered in scratches and dents, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have passed an MOT given the noise the engine makes! Watching her reverse out fills me with terror and she has had near misses with my car and my flatmates' on more than one occasion. Given she has no road tax, the chances are she has no insurance either so if she does happen to cause damage to our vehicles then we're stuck with a bill.

However, the DVLA seem to be doing nothing despite the fact I have given them as much information as possible, even down to the times I know she will be on the road.

Is there anything more I can do to get this death-trap of a vehicle off the road?!

Comments

• Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Years ago, hubby and I were in a very dark place and road tax was the least of our worries. Hubby is usually red hot on keeping our cars taxed, insured and MOT'd but, somehow, my car had fallen off the radar. Anyway, on night a large member of the local constabulary came a-calling.:o One of our neighbours had, kindly, called the station because I occasionally parked on the road. We were mortified. :o:o:o

Long story shot, it was taxed the following day.

Moral of my tale? Call the boys in blue! My tax was about three weeks out of date, not months.
  • Options
    simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Road Tax is not a police matter - you need to contact the DVLA.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    if your intent on doing this then call the police?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go on ask mid. You can see if the car is insured at all. You just put the number plate in it. If it isnt is it parked in a private drive if it is the police will not be able to touch it as it is off the public highway. The driver needs to be caught on a public road.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon40 wrote: »

Er, I think you'll find the OP's already done that? It's not a long thread, keep up. :cool:
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you really not got anything better to do with your time than report someone five times to the DVLA, spy on them driving away from their flat, examine their car for damage and work out if it would pass an MOT and note down times when you know she is on the road?
  • Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    could try the council traffic wardens I'm shore they would like the thumbs up at an easy target. I would be looking at a complaints procedure against the DVLA for lack of response.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you really not got anything better to do with your time than report someone five times to the DVLA, spy on them driving away from their flat, examine their car for damage and work out if it would pass an MOT and note down times when you know she is on the road?

I suppose the OP could just go down there and slash her tyres. Problem solved.
  • Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member

don't know if you drive but if you do you are paying for this person to drive her car on the road without insurance. she will not be covered because she has no road tax.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All of those things could be noticed whilst the OP is going about his normal business. Doesn't mean he is lurking at his window with binoculars and a digital camera. And I think it is fair that he is concerned about his own car - if she prangs it, he may have no comeback whatsoever and HE will be out of pocket.
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, you don't actually know that her vehicle isn't taxed.
    All you know, is that she currently isn't displaying a valid tax disc.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »

Check it out HERE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member

Thought it wouldn't take long for a reply like this... so law-breaking is totally fine by you is it? How would you feel if this car was involved in an accident with a member of your family and you knew it shouldn't have been on the road but couldn't be bothered to do anything about it?

FYI, I don't spend every waking hour watching her every move. I walk right past her car when I leave my house so over the course of the last two years I've been able to build up a pretty good idea of the damage to it, and when she is likely to be on the road as I can hear her starting it up from my living room.

If you have nothing useful to contribute, go stick your head back in the sand.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Check it out HERE.

Page has expired :D
  • Options
    The KenzThe Kenz Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Correct - the police will wave you on your way with a smile if they stop you and find you are driving an untaxed car...:rolleyes:

It's a legal requirement to have your car taxed if you have it on the public road. Failure to do so is a criminal offence. Therefore, it IS a police matter.

Pop in to your local nick - they might be glad of the opportunity to boost their clearup figures with minimal effort!
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »

sorry bob it doesnt matter even if you have paid your tax you still have to display a valid tax disc - mine got lost in post even though i had receipts for payment etc online - it is still illegal to drive it and is uninsured - as I was told in no uncertain terms from both my insurers and DVLA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you block the drive somehow so they have park on the main street. Then phone the police up and say there was an abandon car not taxed in the road. I wouldnt want a car that was not taxed next to mine thats if i had one. Due to the bloody idiot who rear ended us and left the accident with out given us his any details
  • Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a similar situation myself. 2 of our neighbours have parked their cars outside in 'off road' spaces now for over 18 months.

As the cars are never driven the police aren't bothered.
    As the cars are not on a public road the council aren't bothered.
    As the cars are parked on housing association property (spaces provided for the residents) the DVLA aren't bothered

So they will sit there until they rot, taking up 2 of the limited spaces we have.
    This situation is covered by our tenancy agreements but as the HA are 30 miles away they're not bothered either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member

So how come I got a fine, from the POLICE, when a car I wasn't using (I was in the process of repairing it to sell) was reported for an out-of-date tax disk, by a neighbour because it was in a roadside parking place that he wanted to use.
  • Options
    John_BJohn_B Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    If she doesn't drive the car and its not parked on a public road then there is no obligation to tax it.

Perhaps the DVLA are not bothered because shes parked on a private road/car park?

If she is driving it on a public road then she is breaking the law. Weather or not you should report it, think you have enough opinions on that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    John_B wrote: »
    If she doesn't drive the car and its not parked on a public road then there is no obligation to tax it.

Perhaps the DVLA are not bothered because shes parked on a private road/car park?

If she is driving it on a public road then she is breaking the law. Weather or not you should report it, think you have enough opinions on that!

I think it's been made clear that the car is being driven.

Surprised people can get away without now for very long, thought the DVLA were meant to be shit hot now in dealing with road tax evasion.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds an awful lot like the OP has a problem with the neighbour and is trying to get her into trouble, tbh.
  • Options
    ZeoleZeole Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I cant stand busy bodies. Spying on other people looking for things to complain about. :mad:

You would have to have gone out of your way to notice the date on her damn tax disc, I didnt even notice mine and I drive it everyday!

It is nothing to do with you OP, nothing. She will be caught by the relevant authorities. Keep your nose out of other peoples business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this might sound weird, but maybe she has taxed it and not put up the tax disc? ive done that before and its a easy mistake to make: especially when you buy it in advance. maybe that's why you think the DLA haven't acted, because it is taxed but no tax disc? another reason could be because the car is exempt?
    since your so keen ringing then 5 times, why don't you ask her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I'm not a grass by any means ......... So I contacted the DVLA - a total of FIVE times

I what way are you not a grass exactly?