Options

How long do unopened contact lenses last?

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
Forum Member
✭✭
I think I already know the answer to this but I want to confirm it..

I used to be on a SpecSavers contact lense plan where they'd send me three sets of lenses every 3 months. They last a month each.

However, I never used them. I've built up 6 boxes which would last me a year+.

Each set of lenses has a date on, mostly 2012/2013.. which I presume is the "use before" date.

Am I safe to start using them, even tho they've just been sitting around my flat for a 2 years? Seems a shame to waste them if I want to start using contacts again. The date suggests I can use them but I just wondered if theres any reason why I shouldn't.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are probably dated because your vision can change. You may need stronger or weaker ones in the future.

If you can see fine with them then just use them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,306
    Forum Member
    I'm the same - I have about 10 boxes of 3 months contact lenses lying around. I always wear them and they seem fine even when they are getting near to their "Use-By" date.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as former Opticians receptionist who had to order and handle contact lenses, I would say go right ahead and use them. If they've been kept in saline and un-opened they will be fine. Your prescription might be different now though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I may go for an eye test just to make sure my prescription is the same. Thanks everyone. :)
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each set of lenses has a date on, mostly 2012/2013.. which I presume is the "use before" date.

Yes, it is the use-before date, and it's now 2010. Why would you NOT be able to use them (apart from prescription reasons)?
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    My specsaver dailies say Aug 2014!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Yes, it is the use-before date, and it's now 2010. Why would you NOT be able to use them (apart from prescription reasons)?

I don't know that's why I asked to make sure. I didn't know if they were stored in a fridge or something before being sent out. May sound daft but I wanted to be sure as I quite like my eyes to work.