Options

FM stations with excellent signal which gets out further than its TSA area

derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
Forum Member
✭✭
after the thread about FM stations with poor signals i thought i would start a thread to see what stations seem to have a excellent signal.

i can receive the following just south of peterborough with full RDS

96.9 heart BD
103.0 heart CB
106.6 smooth east mids
105.4 leicester sound
102.2 lincs fm
96.7 klfm kings lynn
107.2 + 97.4 rutland radio
107.4 connect fm n'hants

Comments

• Options
    mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    after the thread about FM stations with poor signals i thought i would start a thread to see what stations seem to have a excellent signal.

i can receive the following just south of peterborough with full RDS

96.9 heart BD
    103.0 heart CB
    106.6 smooth east mids
    105.4 leicester sound
    102.2 lincs fm
    96.7 klfm kings lynn
    107.2 + 97.4 rutland radio
    107.4 connect fm n'hants

When Viking Radio started in mid 80's on 102.7 I can easily pick it up in Manchester.

In fact, I was on the M62 the other week and picked Viking up on 96.9 just past Milnrow. Not sure if that is normal or just conditions on that particular day?
  • Options
    PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Stoke on 94.6 and Signal One from Alsagers Bank in Staffordshire on 102.6 have excellent coverage, as does Radio Shropshire 96.0, and Beacon from the Wrekin on 103.1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mailmos98 wrote: »
    When Viking Radio started in mid 80's on 102.7 I can easily pick it up in Manchester.

In fact, I was on the M62 the other week and picked Viking up on 96.9 just past Milnrow. Not sure if that is normal or just conditions on that particular day?

thats prob normal. i travel to hull often and both viking and kcfm seem to get out very far, i can get then in the car till im nearly at newark
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beacon Radio can be picked up far out of its TSA.

With the new technology we have these days and the constant upgrade of masts, I wouldnt be suprised if most stations out-stretched their TSA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats prob normal. i travel to hull often and both viking and kcfm seem to get out very far, i can get then in the car till im nearly at newark

I've driven up the A1 North bound from Bedford up to near Lincoln, and it's surprising how Heart on 96.9 from Sandy Heath gets out, considering its only 900 watts. I find just South of Grantham Viking becomes the dominant signal on 96.9 from High Hunsley! For ex-Chiltern listeners who live around the Fens, they often had a surprise during lift conditions when they turned the radio on to hear news for East Yorkshire. :D
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    signal 1 !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    I've driven up the A1 North bound from Bedford up to near Lincoln, and it's surprising how Heart on 96.9 from Sandy Heath gets out, considering its only 900 watts. I find just South of Grantham Viking becomes the dominant signal on 96.9 from High Hunsley! For ex-Chiltern listeners who live around the Fens, they often had a surprise during lift conditions when they turned the radio on to hear news for East Yorkshire. :D

96.9, give me viking over heart any day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    96.9, give me viking over heart any day :D

Get one of those itrip FM transmitters, set it to 96.9 and transmit Viking from the internet! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock FM from Preston penetrates deep into Manchester and actually I find has a better signal in the city centre than Key 103!
  • Options
    colinhanslipcolinhanslip Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    210FM, now Heart Berkshire, is clearly audible in Southampton on the south coast of Hampshire.
  • Options
    Sesay2000Sesay2000 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wave 105 is receivable as far north as Oxfordshire, especially in lift conditions.

BBC Kent on 96.7 is very good in my part of north London.
  • Options
    Over By Yer!Over By Yer! Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Cymru on 104.3 covers Telford better than Telford FM does, and in certain areas of the town it is stronger than Beacon!
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    97.4 Rock FM - far outside it's service area and it has a rock solid signal, and was about the strongest thing available in parts of the Peak district (alongside Smooth and Real). Used to get it all the way down to Wolverhampton, but now tales off around Stoke-on-Trent - from Cumbria to mid Staffordshire isn't bad going!

Another one is the BBC Radio Cymru 104.3 transmitter which can be easier to pick up in parts of Preston than BBC Radio Lancashire.

And an obvious mention has to go to the 105.4 Leicester Sound world service which is receivable from Milton Keynes to Stoke-on-Trent and would probably available even further away if it wasn't for Magic 105.4 and Real Radio 105.4! I have travelled from Preston to Nottingham before and just left the radio on 105.4 - Century Radio all the way down the M6, a bit of a mix on the A500 and then Leicester Sound on the A50... Travelling on a train from Sheffield to Nottingham the first East Midlands station you get is the most southerly of the main ones - Leicester Sound!

Mind you, on occasion I have got both Dublin's 102.2 Lite FM and East Yorkshire's Galaxy 105.8 in Preston (at pretty much sea level).
  • Options
    ozbritozbrit Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I've received both Viking and Signal in foggy conditions when I had roof yagi + hirshmann antenna rotator at my Braintree Essex home.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    104.9 BBC Radio Leicester often reaches quite a distance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sesay2000 wrote: »
    Wave 105 is receivable as far north as Oxfordshire, especially in lift conditions.

during lift conditions i have sometimes just about picked up wave 105 but the quality is very poor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    And an obvious mention has to go to the 105.4 Leicester Sound world service which is receivable from Milton Keynes to Stoke-on-Trent and would probably available even further away if it wasn't for Magic 105.4 and Real Radio 105.4! I have travelled from Preston to Nottingham before and just left the radio on 105.4 - Century Radio all the way down the M6, a bit of a mix on the A500 and then Leicester Sound on the A50... Travelling on a train from Sheffield to Nottingham the first East Midlands station you get is the most southerly of the main ones - Leicester Sound!

Mind you, on occasion I have got both Dublin's 102.2 Lite FM and East Yorkshire's Galaxy 105.8 in Preston (at pretty much sea level).

leicester sound is one i can receive very easy with RDS.
    galaxy yorkshire especially 105.8 i can get when there is only a little lift
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Heart FM in Brimingham can be picked up pretty clear 50 miles south in Gloucester
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    210FM, now Heart Berkshire, is clearly audible in Southampton on the south coast of Hampshire.

Yes that Hannington mast does get out to places it shouldn't. Radio Berkshire on 104.1, and Heart (2-Ten) on 102.9 can be heard over much of Southern England, including parts of Hertfordshire!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Real Radio Wales on 105.7 can be heard from Anglesey down to Devon.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France Info 105.2
    France Info 104.7
    France Info 98.0
    Radio 2 98.6
    Heart Kent
    BBC Essex FM MW
    BBC Kent
    BBC Norfolk 95.1
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute Radio 105.8FM

I've picked it up on the M4, 30 miles from Bristol

105.4 Century FM (Winter Hill, Lancs) can reach the M5 past Birmingham
  • Options
    RAY VONRAY VON Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha i love these type of threads!!

Here In West Yorks it's sometimes a battle between Real NorthWest 105.4 and Leicester Sound.
    BBC Manchester 95.1 (and Sheffield's 104.1 even better) both get round here quite strongly from Holme Moss (and i think they're both directional).

Smooth East Mids from Waltham and Lincs 102.2 somtimes come in quite well here in good south-east facing spots.
    Viking and Hallam (both 102.9/103.4) are pretty solid out of the valleys and same with TFM on 96.6 but i think Real on 100.7 is a bit better than TFM (is TFM nulled to the south of Bilsdale, unlike Real on 100.7??)

When i commute to Sunderland you can still get Real 106.2 & Galaxy 105.1 from Emley Moor at the A19/A690 junction (although it is on a hill there).

When i commute into the NorthWest up the M60/M61 you can still just get Galaxy & Real from Emley Moor and you can get the Pulse on 102.5 for a little while once you've got to the bottom of Windy Hill on the M62.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Heart Kent 103.1, a booming signal which reaches across most of the South East, including East Sussex, most of Surrey, Essex, Suffolk, Herts and London when the pirate on 103.0 is off.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the Isle of Wight!