Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

White hard thing inside gum, tooth maybe ?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:35
BlizzardUK
Forum Member

For some reason, on the inside of my gum (the side where the tongue touches) there is a strange small white hard thing. Very small, and if I touch it with my finger nail then it feels kinda tooth material like. But it has only just appeared, so I am not quite sure how it can be a tooth growing there.

It is half way up my gum, so not where a tooth normally would be. If I rub it constantly with my tongue, which I shouldn't but it is hard to ignore now I know it is there, then it does become a bit sore.

I am not all that bothered, but more curious if anyone else has had this ? I did have a tooth recently taken out that was quite close to that area, but I am 31 so not likely to have new teeth appearing. I have had lots of other dental work lately too, including a tooth that wouldn't come out on the other side of my mouth. I have to go to hospital in June to get the root taken out.

I saw the Dentist about 3 weeks ago and I don't think it was there then. I am sure she would of noticed it if it was, and me. Could it maybe be the dental work that caused it ? I was in there for 90 mins with a tooth that was very hard to pull out so involved lots of tools and tugging.

Thanks for any info.
BlizzardUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:30
Bypassall
Forum Member

In another topic about wisdom teeth extractions a week ago, some people mentioned spare bits of broken tooth coming out of their gums a while after the procedure.

Sounds like you are another statistic in the 'not everything grabbed at once' brigade
Bypassall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:46
burnt toast
Forum Member

Bone fragments work their way out after extraction too.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18
Inspiration
Forum Member

Sounds like they left some in there. I'd go back.
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24
gonnaenodaethat
Forum Member

yeah i'd go back. Sounds like a bit of root or tooth trying to work its way out or an infection inside your gum althought that would be painful.
gonnaenodaethat is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16
MadameLaMinx
Forum Member

What they said...

After an extraction I had ten different fragments of tooth work their way out of the gum over a few weeks. It was hideous, and at times, very painful. One piece was about half a cm square and had a razorlike piece sticking out of the end of it. Awful.
MadameLaMinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24
truantmuse
Forum Member

I have something like that and during another follow up visit to the dentist I asked him to take a look. Turns out that it's just the bone that's grown oddly. It's nothing to worry about and apparently I have had it for years - I just hadn't noticed it until a visit to the dentist when I became a bit more sensitive and aware of my gums and teeth. It's a bit annoying though because now that I am aware of it, I tend to often run my tongue over it.

It could just be your jawbone protruding a bit into the gum. But I'd get the dentist to have a look in any case, just for peace of mind.
truantmuse is offline   Reply With Quote