Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

the rare 60's classics thread

Old 06-01-2015, 22:17
Luner13
Forum Member

I lurk at Popjustice and someone over there is saying that from the 1st of January they were dropped by Universal.

I don't know if its true but maybe the flop of both the last single and album together was the last straw? at least they had a good run though 18 singles about 75% of which were great pop tunes.

Feelings if true?
Luner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-01-2015, 22:31
mimicole
Forum Member

It really wouldn't surprise me if this were true. Most of the stuff that they've done since their debut hasn't performed as the label had hoped.

Most of the girls have babies now too.

They've all been trying to establish themselves seperately for the last few years.
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 22:34
AdzPower
Forum Member

Both Mollie and Rochelle have both said they are doing at least 1 more album, they've never lied to us before, even if they've been dropped they could still find a way to release something new.
AdzPower is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 22:46
glyn9799
Forum Member

I'm suprised they have lasted this long to be honest as they have never really set the charts alight or broken any sales records. Throughout their time they have released the odd brilliant track (Ego, Gentleman, Work), but to be honest I lost respect for them after they ditched Wordshaker.
glyn9799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 22:53
Westy2
Forum Member

Never mind.

Girl (& boy) bands come & go.

Next one along in a few minutes!
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 00:35
GracieL
Forum Member

Doesn't surprise me, crap band and better off opening a fertility clinic
GracieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:03
VoodooChic
Forum Member

I've always thought them pointless
VoodooChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:25
Hollie_Louise
Forum Member

If they've been dropped, I'm not really that fussed. It's a long time coming. Their last studio album hasnt even sold 60,000 in over a year, greatest hits album sold 7,000 copies in its first week, 2,500 in its second. Last single reached #38.

It really is a surprise to me they have lasted this long with really terrible sales.
Hollie_Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:45
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

I've been a fan since I saw If This Is Love on a music channel in summer 2008. If it is true then its sad but maybe it was to be expected at some stage. Their last album and GH flopped after all. Plus three of the girls are married mothers now. On a side note I see Una is a judge on The Voice of Ireland.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34
Carly_Thompson
Forum Member

If true then they had 7 years in the industry, a lot more than a lot of girlbands! They have some brilliant pop songs and all in all did ok, I don't think any of them will be short of work or money now.
Carly_Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:06
EyeballEyeball
Forum Member

They've only had one non flop album, so it can hardly be a surprise.
EyeballEyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:26
Doghouse Riley
Forum Member

They'll always be remembered for this, dunno about the tune though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auDotUnHm14
Doghouse Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:49
John_Lochery
Forum Member

wouldn't surprise me either. was expecting them to split after their greatest hits and tour anyway even though they kept denying it. none of their album were selling and the fact that on their GH tour they were playing small venues like Glasgow Clyde Auditorium just said it all really
John_Lochery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:12
Etcy
Forum Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true judging by how poorly they've done in the charts. I only like very few of their singles. I have to say Vanessa White has an amazing voice though.
Etcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:14
Master Ozzy
Forum Member

The reason they have never been dropped despite their flops is because they're on a 360 deal. Their label pay for all the recording sessions, promo, everything. In return they take a percentage of the girls' earninings from work unrelated to the band, for example endorsements, reality tv show fees etc. So even during flop singles and albums, the label are still making money from them.
Master Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:21
mimicole
Forum Member

The reason they have never been dropped despite their flops is because they're on a 360 deal. Their label pay for all the recording sessions, promo, everything. In return they take a percentage of the girls' earninings from work unrelated to the band, for example endorsements, reality tv show fees etc. So even during flop singles and albums, the label are still making money from them.
Exactly.

A 360 deal is the new thing in the music industry. It's bad, really but it's the way in which record labels make money because people aren't buying music anymore.
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:27
Master Ozzy
Forum Member

Exactly.

A 360 deal is the new thing in the music industry. It's bad, really but it's the way in which record labels make money because people aren't buying music anymore.
Yep, exactly. If the band end, it will most likely be because the group themselves want to call it a day rather than the label dropping them. The label probably actually make quite a lot of money from them as although their music isn't great, most of them are doing quite a lot of other stuff...Frankie done Strictly and she'll be doing the tour next, Rochelle is presenting etc. Other people on 360 deals are Cheryl and Pixie Lott.
Master Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:32
Sweaty Job Rot
Forum Member

I lurk at Popjustice and someone over there is saying that from the 1st of January they were dropped by Universal.

I don't know if its true but maybe the flop of both the last single and album together was the last straw? at least they had a good run though 18 singles about 75% of which were great pop tunes.

Feelings if true?
The sewer version of Girls Aloud.😄😃

I used to think all dogs went to heaven, I was wrong they formed a band called the Saturdays😄
Sweaty Job Rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:56
MTUK1
Forum Member

More than one.
MTUK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 19:57
drakhen
Forum Member

On Your Radar flopped, Headlines flopped and so did the Greatest Hits. I don't think any of them even went silver.

I remember getting free tickets to see them through work and it was honestly one of the worst gigs I've ever been to. The funny thing is even their fans never talk about how good their singing or dancing is, but what nice girls they are and how their performance "wasn't that bad". I'm no big fan of Little Mix, but they really made them irrelevant.
drakhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 20:16
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

It's sort of a shame as I think they've had several really good solid pop tunes. On their Greatest Hits, I love Work, Not Giving Up and All Fired Up.

On the other hand, it would make no difference who sang them.
GiraffeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 20:37
newda898
Forum Member

The problem is, that's kind of the last time they released anything decent (in my opinion)

The first two albums were great, then they changed music style and went a bit techno.
newda898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 20:51
Ally_Bowie
Forum Member

Although they will be dropped i can see them carrying on for a bit longer.

I unashamedly love the girls, and their records, harmless pop, long may they continue!
Ally_Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 22:42
ashtray88
Forum Member

The UK has so many good girl groups. This isn't even one of our best and they can perform like that!
ashtray88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:12
drakhen
Forum Member

The UK has so many good girl groups. This isn't even one of our best and they can perform like that!
I disagree. UK girl groups can't hold a candle to the ones from Japan and South Korea. Even C-list Korean girl groups like After School and Nine Muses completely show The Saturdays up. It's a shame about the language barrier, as a group like f(x) could be huge in the UK or USA.
drakhen is offline   Reply With Quote