DS Forums

the rare 60's classics thread

Old 30-07-2015, 00:16
RandomPeter94
Forum Member

Did anyone watch or listen to Radio 1's Ibiza Prom this evening? I watched it.

WOW. I don't know what you guys thought, but I thought it was absolutely incredible. It is not often that something would be broadcast live on Radio 1 and Radio 3 together (and also on the red button and live streaming). Absolutely incredible orchestra and what an amazing and unexpected way to celebrate 20 years of Radio 1 in Ibiza. As a massive dance music fan who wouldn't often watch the proms, I thought it was absolutely incredible!

All credit to Pete Tong, Jules Buckley, the Heritage Orchestra, the singers (including Ella Eyre and John Newman) and the production team and audience for making the atmosphere seem incredible!!

(sorry re posted it on here because I wasn't sure if this is meant to go in the Music or Radio sub-forum)
RandomPeter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-07-2015, 19:56
dodrade
Forum Member

On the Red Button now.

Perhaps would have been better suited to the Electric Proms which the BBC unfortunately discontinued in 2010 after just five years.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 19:48
homer2012
Forum Member

Watching now on iplayer, amazing is the only word i can think of.

Loved the way it was truly mixed by tong and relaid to everyone else. Would love to see this show live.
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 20:15
slimcea girl
Forum Member

Watching it on catch up. Brilliant! Wish I'd been there!
slimcea girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 20:55
Daniel Dare
Forum Member

I watched it earlier today on iPlayer and yes, it truly is a brilliant performance. I loved the way the orchestra mixed and blended each tune and song into one another just like a DJ's set.
Is this the first EDM to orchestra that the BBC Proms have done as I can't recall any prior to that?
It's great to see that classical style music is crossing the boundaries a lot more than it used to, say 15, 20 years ago. I've met many a youth in recent years that seem to really like classical pieces, the majority of them didn't know what the pieces were called or who composed them but all of that can come later, at least they're appreciating the music and they're on the right path.
To those who are yet to watch it, I recommend you give it a go, you won't be dissapointed.
The last time I was at the RAH was when I went to the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Proms back in 2013 and the atmosphere inside is electric when the music starts, oh and such a beautiful building inside and out too.
Daniel Dare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 23:51
RoseAnne
Forum Member

Yes, I watched it on iPlayer and really enjoyed it. As previously mentioned, the way they blended each tune into the next was great and kept the party feeling going.
Glad that two favourites of mine got an airing, Lola's Theme and Where Love Lives.
Great to see it's doing well on iPlayer.
RoseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27
mushymanrob
Forum Member

sorry guys..... i thought it was disappointing. perhaps because i didnt like the material selected. ok it was radio 1, but imho there was too many chart hits , vocals too, when IMHO it would have been better concentrating on electronic instrumental tracks. ok they did cafe del mar, but even that was poor.

william orbit and tiesto 'trancified' barbers adagio for strings, successfully, i was hoping to hear more classicalified trance hits.
mushymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:16
homer2012
Forum Member

sorry guys..... i thought it was disappointing. perhaps because i didnt like the material selected. ok it was radio 1, but imho there was too many chart hits , vocals too, when IMHO it would have been better concentrating on electronic instrumental tracks. ok they did cafe del mar, but even that was poor.

william orbit and tiesto 'trancified' barbers adagio for strings, successfully, i was hoping to hear more classicalified trance hits.
The live loop of insomnia was amazing, there were some classics that couldnt be played due to them not going to sound as good played by an orchestra.

For an angel being a big example or hey girl, hey boy. That said all those songs were massive ibiza tunes and all deserved to be on the playlist. Had my too girls dancing in front of the telly yesterday and when daft punk was played it was the first time they heard it and both fell in love with it and demanding i get it for them. It helps they do ballet 8 and 4 and love discovering new music.

Would love them to do a tour and put some new tunes on the playlist. Could be a big ticket seller.
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:52
gart81
Forum Member

We're on catch up is this please
gart81 is offline   Reply With Quote