Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Hmm, think my ex has been checking me out on facebook

Old 16-07-2010, 22:08
lozza73
Forum Member

I don't log in much and keep everything private but when I logged in today, he came up as a suggested friend. I have never bothered looking for him on facebook and have never loaded email contacts, etc.

Why would he appear? Are there any reasons why he would appear other than that he has been viewing my profile?
lozza73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-07-2010, 22:10
mathertron
Inactive Member

err if you have mutual friends maybe.
mathertron is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:10
MrHoppy
Forum Member

It means a 3rd party has told facebook to suggest you add him. You shouldn't be able to tell who has viewed your profile.
MrHoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:11
LincsDan32
Forum Member

He's not friends with any of your friends on facebook?

Not joined any of the same causes or those invitation thingies?

could be a host of different things
LincsDan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:16
RubusRoo
Inactive Member

I don't log in much and keep everything private but when I logged in today, he came up as a suggested friend. I have never bothered looking for him on facebook and have never loaded email contacts, etc.

Why would he appear? Are there any reasons why he would appear other than that he has been viewing my profile?
And does anyone really care?

Facebook is evil.
RubusRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:18
Beth Hart
Forum Member

Could the friend have searched your name?
Beth Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:22
Dragonlady 25
Forum Member

I received an e mail this week from a student who has just left, inviting me to join his FB as a friend so I can see his photographs.

I have never had any intention of joining FB and his invitation has confirmed my view! He was one of the most arrogant, self obsessed, lazy individuals it's been my misfortune to teach. I couldn't stand in in my room, I'm hardly likely to have him lurk in my computer in my own home!!!!
Dragonlady 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:22
MrHoppy
Forum Member

And does anyone really care?

Facebook is evil.
Facebook is awesome. I know most of it is tedious people you once knew documenting the minutae of their boring lives, but if you ignore all that and just read people getting trolled, it's great.

Also I respect them for not kowtowing to the "moral majority", government etc.
Old 16-07-2010, 22:31
lozza73
Forum Member

No, he's not in touch with any of my friends and vice versa. That's why I think he must have searched for me in order for him to appear as a 'suggested friend'. Thing is, my profile is private, so all he would have seen, if he did search is mockup picture- std on facebook.

Very strange.
Old 16-07-2010, 22:34
MrHoppy
Forum Member

No, he's not in touch with any of my friends and vice versa. That's why I think he must have searched for me in order for him to appear as a 'suggested friend'. Thing is, my profile is private, so all he would have seen, if he did search is mockup picture- std on facebook.

Very strange.
It's a facebook "thing" that it gives you no way to know who's visited your page, unless they make it known that they have.
Old 16-07-2010, 22:34
ogg monster
Forum Member

Very strange.
Do you still have his email address in your address book? I think if you have ever used friend finder it will suggest people whose email is in your address book as friends. I have people that regularly get suggested and this can be the only reason.
ogg monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:37
ogg monster
Forum Member

It's a facebook "thing" that it gives you no way to know who's visited your page, unless they make it known that they have.
Hope you're right, I'm a right old nosey parker and search all and sundry when I have 10 minutes to kill and I'm bored
ogg monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:39
lozza73
Forum Member

Do you still have his email address in your address book? I think if you have ever used friend finder it will suggest people whose email is in your address book as friends. I have people that regularly get suggested and this can be the only reason.
No, that's why I'm baffled.
Old 16-07-2010, 22:40
blueblade
Forum Member

Mutual friends is the obvious one.

But as I was saying the other day on here, Facebook suggested a coin dealer in Indianapolis USA as a facebook friend to me, and the only dealings I'd ever had with him was an exchange of e mails in February.

I did e mail him again to see if he'd wanted to make me a facebook friend, and he confirmed that he hadn't ~ why would he ?

I do wonder if facebook somehow scans your e mails and links to others it finds that are on FB,.
blueblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:44
mathertron
Inactive Member

http://memegenerator.net/Advice-Dog/...-block-YOU.jpg
mathertron is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:46
Angel Dust
Forum Member

Surely it's normal to look up your exes on FB? We talked about it in work and we've all done it
Angel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:46
ForestChav
Forum Member

I received an e mail this week from a student who has just left, inviting me to join his FB as a friend so I can see his photographs.

I have never had any intention of joining FB and his invitation has confirmed my view! He was one of the most arrogant, self obsessed, lazy individuals it's been my misfortune to teach. I couldn't stand in in my room, I'm hardly likely to have him lurk in my computer in my own home!!!!
I don't get that! Why be friends with people you don't even like.
ForestChav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:48
Stormsorrow
Forum Member

I am of the belief that Facebook is able to 'find' a lot more information about you than just who is in your address book and mutual friends. Even if they were in your email list then unless you let FB scan your address book then some people shouldn't come up but they still do. Happens to me some times too.

I would think that the most obvious suggestion is that they sought you out but if you have ever Googled him then I don't think that can be ruled out.

Yes maybe I am paranoid but there certainly seems to be more to it than allowing it on to your Hotmail account and sharing friendships.
Stormsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:48
Carmen Queasy
Forum Member

Everyone searched for their ex partners, old friends who they've fallen out with etc because we are all nost bastards

Anyway, Facebook uses various ways to link people; mutual friends is the most common but they can also use email address links (he might have your email address in his address book or you his and people can log in using Hotmail etc).
Carmen Queasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 22:53
Rowdy
Forum Member

People seem to have forgotten that FB is a networking site, not a "friendship" site. It's all about connecting you with people you, people who know people you know, people who know people........and so on. The site looks at people you know.................oh, you know. That's how it comes up with people you, er, might know. You know?
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 23:02
Dragonlady 25
Forum Member

I don't get that! Why be friends with people you don't even like.
Same here! Very odd!

I think he probably sent out message to everyone on his e mail list, forgetting he'd sent me some work ages ago when he was ill. Actually, it could be quite funny if I was on FB and answered his invitation!!
Dragonlady 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 07:49
shackfan
Forum Member

[quote=RubusRoo;41963946]And does anyone really care?

Facebook is evil.[/QUOTE]

Er, no it isnt. How else can i keep in touch with my family all over the world at no cost and see pic of my neice hours after she is born?
Comments like that just show ignorance.
shackfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 07:51
Skyknight

Very strange.
What's the problem then???
Skyknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 08:56
humdrummer
Forum Member

This is nothing. He's probably used friend finder, you are in his email address book, and you got a friend request. That's all.
humdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 09:03
Jane Doh!
Forum Member

Er, no it isnt. How else can i keep in touch with my family all over the world at no cost and see pic of my neice hours after she is born?
Comments like that just show ignorance.
Email?
Jane Doh! is offline   Reply With Quote